F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pedal tuning?
proTUNING Freaks

07-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Pedal tuning?

I noticed some companies offer a tuner that goes directly onto the accelerator pedal of our cars?is this a good idea to add to jb4 and mhd bef
      07-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Hi,
We are one of these companies, its a really good addition to an existing tune as it allows you to control throttle aggressiveness
We offer REMUS Responder (the most popular), BMS pedal tuner, Sprint Booster ,etc..

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 11:58 PM   #3
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
We are one of these companies, its a really good addition to an existing tune as it allows you to control throttle aggressiveness
We offer REMUS Responder (the most popular), BMS pedal tuner, Sprint Booster ,etc..
Interesting. What is one unique feature that your example offers
      07-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
They are all similar in terms of features, they adjust throttle response

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They are all similar in terms of features, they adjust throttle response
Any advantages with one or the other or do i just go with the cheapest
      07-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Different models have different maps. I believe the REMUS repsonder offers the most number of maps (27 if im not mistaken). This will help you find the perfect throttle response.

If you want a simpler setup, the BMS one is the cheapest

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Different models have different maps. I believe the REMUS repsonder offers the most number of maps (27 if im not mistaken). This will help you find the perfect throttle response.

If you want a simpler setup, the BMS one is the cheapest
But bms' most responsive map is just as responsive as others?
      07-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But bms' most responsive map is just as responsive as others?
Unfortunately i do not know

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #9
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

They all do the same thing, sort of a waste of money in my opinion, since it isn't really adding any performance, but some customers swear by them. If you're going to get one at least get the cheapest one.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
They all do the same thing, sort of a waste of money in my opinion, since it isn't really adding any performance, but some customers swear by them. If you're going to get one at least get the cheapest one.
Have you ever tested one yourself?
this looks promising
Im well aware its not adding any horsepower but it looks to solve a problem i couldn't quite put my finger on.
      07-31-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Yes I've tested it. If you're pedal tuner curious buy one and report back your thoughts. It's largely just a matter of opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Yes I've tested it. If you're pedal tuner curious buy one and report back your thoughts. It's largely just a matter of opinion.
So you didn't feel a noticeable difference and you personally think its a money grab?
Ion like wasting money
      07-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

You will definitely feel the difference. I'm just saying it's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 08:30 AM   #14
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It's like going from comfort mode to sport mode. Comfort runs a linear you press the throttle 1/4, the throttle body opens a 1/4, etc. In sport, you press 1/4 throttle, it opens to 1/2 throttle for a more aggressive "feel".

There is no more power, just this non-linear petal feel. Personally, I'd save you money and just drive in "sport" all the time. You will still get that little bit of a lag at the bottom (like the video shows), but that is also saving the engine and transmission from high torque transmissions.

The more you crank up power, and then pull out all the OEM safety limiters, the closer it puts you to the engineering maximums for safe operation. Just saying!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

If only there were a way to get the rest of sport mode without the stupid nonlinear throttle mapping. :-(
Appreciate 2
Wires1636.50
lpaulodt195.00
      04-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #16
delorean175
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Msport, 1982 E28 528e

I just learned about these today. I've had my 335i w/ a 6 speed manual for 4 or 5 months now. I absolutely love it, but am sorta missing the throttle cable/mechanical feel of my e28 which I drive for 11 years prior. Would any of these tuners give me a comparable feel? I've read it makes a difference, but does anyone here know they type of pedal feel I'm describing? I find myself driving in sport mode for the throttle response. I expect comfort mode would dull things to make the car a little "smoother", but sport mode still could use improvement. I find it hard to believe my (mildly modified) 38 year old car has more crisp throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #17
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean175 View Post
I just learned about these today. I've had my 335i w/ a 6 speed manual for 4 or 5 months now. I absolutely love it, but am sorta missing the throttle cable/mechanical feel of my e28 which I drive for 11 years prior. Would any of these tuners give me a comparable feel? I've read it makes a difference, but does anyone here know they type of pedal feel I'm describing? I find myself driving in sport mode for the throttle response. I expect comfort mode would dull things to make the car a little "smoother", but sport mode still could use improvement. I find it hard to believe my (mildly modified) 38 year old car has more crisp throttle response.
I'm a little bit curious too. I have described the feeling I'm looking for is having the power "higher in the pedal" instead feeling like I have to really dig for it.

I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on Dorch Stg2+Pure800 so I'm definitely not looking for any more mods right now but like I said, I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:12 PM   #18
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
I'm a little bit curious too. I have described the feeling I'm looking for is having the power "higher in the pedal" instead feeling like I have to really dig for it.

I just spent an embarrassing amount of money on Dorch Stg2+Pure800 so I'm definitely not looking for any more mods right now but like I said, I'm curious.
Do you have a 6-speed? I can see a specific use case for this (racing), but if you're doing that, full throttle is full throttle, regardless of comfort/sport/pedal tuner.

I brought up the manual thing because I can imagine my engine braking getting quite jerky from letting off the super sensitive throttle if I were to use a pedal tuner. If you search the interwebs, I'm sure someone has posted 1/4 times of before/after.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:03 AM   #19
Brett530
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 F30 340i

I drove with a sprint booster on my F30 335i for a couple of years. I did a review somewhere on this board. They are not a tune and add no power, but (with an aggressive setting) it might make your car feel more powerful because a gentle touch of the throttle can make your engine react quicker.

I really hated my stock F30 throttle response since there were hesitations off the line. It felt like there was a delay in the engine and transmission communication; as though the transmission was contemplating which gear it should be in off the line. The Sprint Booster with a more aggressive setting eliminated about 90% of the problem.

That said, now that I have a 340, I installed it, just becuase I had it, and I have it totally disabled. It just has no use in this car. Throttle response is already linear and the power is where I need it (relative to throttle position). I have a stage 2 tune, so that is part of it. The CG-DS1 catted downpipe was the best remedy for turbo spool up time and the car is right where I want it relative to throttle response without a pedal tuner.

I need to uninstall my SPrint Booster and put it up for sale. I've been too busy.
      04-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #20
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
I drove with a sprint booster on my F30 335i for a couple of years. I did a review somewhere on this board. They are not a tune and add no power, but (with an aggressive setting) it might make your car feel more powerful because a gentle touch of the throttle can make your engine react quicker.

I really hated my stock F30 throttle response since there were hesitations off the line. It felt like there was a delay in the engine and transmission communication; as though the transmission was contemplating which gear it should be in off the line. The Sprint Booster with a more aggressive setting eliminated about 90% of the problem.

That said, now that I have a 340, I installed it, just becuase I had it, and I have it totally disabled. It just has no use in this car. Throttle response is already linear and the power is where I need it (relative to throttle position). I have a stage 2 tune, so that is part of it. The CG-DS1 catted downpipe was the best remedy for turbo spool up time and the car is right where I want it relative to throttle response without a pedal tuner.

I need to uninstall my SPrint Booster and put it up for sale. I've been too busy.
What version is your Sprintbooster? I'm in the market for a pedal tuner. PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #21
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
Do you have a 6-speed? I can see a specific use case for this (racing), but if you're doing that, full throttle is full throttle, regardless of comfort/sport/pedal tuner.

I brought up the manual thing because I can imagine my engine braking getting quite jerky from letting off the super sensitive throttle if I were to use a pedal tuner. If you search the interwebs, I'm sure someone has posted 1/4 times of before/after.
No I'm 8AT. I can definitely see how having a touchy pedal would be not good for a manual.
Appreciate 0