F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Running Amplifier Remote Bass Knob to Center Console
proTUNING Freaks

09-11-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Running Amplifier Remote Bass Knob to Center Console

Looking for some info from someone who has torn more into the car than I have.

Looking to run an amplifier remote bass knob to my center console as shown here

I tried reaching out to the OP regarding this (Ikstaack) without response.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of how to get the wire there?

I'm planning to go down the driver side channel and then under the carpet by the drivers seat / under seat subwoofer. Assuming i'll have to move the drivers seat out of the way to get there, but I wanted to know if there was an easier way?

Last edited by Ahanix; 09-11-2019 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

I just did that for my amplifier DSP remote. Best route would be under the carpet at the front of the driver's seat, right along the channel where the wiring is run on the front side of the subwoofer.

You'll need to remove the driver's seat, and the door sill trims. You may get away without having to remove the B pillar lower trim.

You may find it a lot easier to remove the idrive control panel to gain access underneath to feed the wire through. You may want to also remove the gear selector & trim as well. Plenty of threads here showing how to do that.

Here's a few pics of what I did that will be part of my thread on my car audio upgrade that is currently in progress.

The USB extension cables are for being able to mount my phone on the dashboard, ran a second one just in case the first one didn't work as expected (a powered USB extension, more to come). There is a handy gap under the rear part of the idrive control panel that is great to coil up any excess cable. I custom cut an acrylic sheet to fit my DSP remote into the phone tray in the armrest. Still have a few tweaks to do here!
Name:  IMG_1474.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  236.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1515.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  242.8 KB
      09-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Ahanix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
I just did that for my amplifier DSP remote. Best route would be under the carpet at the front of the driver's seat, right along the channel where the wiring is run on the front side of the subwoofer.

You'll need to remove the driver's seat, and the door sill trims. You may get away without having to remove the B pillar lower trim.

You may find it a lot easier to remove the idrive control panel to gain access underneath to feed the wire through. You may want to also remove the gear selector & trim as well. Plenty of threads here showing how to do that.

Here's a few pics of what I did that will be part of my thread on my car audio upgrade that is currently in progress.

The USB extension cables are for being able to mount my phone on the dashboard, ran a second one just in case the first one didn't work as expected (a powered USB extension, more to come). There is a handy gap under the rear part of the idrive control panel that is great to coil up any excess cable. I custom cut an acrylic sheet to fit my DSP remote into the phone tray in the armrest. Still have a few tweaks to do here!
Attachment 2139910
Attachment 2139911

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahanix View Post
Quote:

Attachment 2139910
Attachment 2139911

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful!
You can also google wiring dashcam as it takes the same general path to the rear of the car. Just start lower than where the rear view mirror is located.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:56 AM   #5
andyspain
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d touring

More pics?

Hi pal, do you have actual pics of the button installed? Many thanks, Andy

Quote:

Attachment 2139910
Attachment 2139911
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 08:42 AM   #6
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Hi andyspain,

Here's the photo of the completed remote in my arm rest, pictured from my perspective in the driver's seat. I tapped into the wiring for the light inside the armrest for a light dimming capability in the remote so that it is not too bright at night.

The USB cable you see there is an extension that I ran to the front dashboard so that I can mount my iPhone there, with the cable hidden nicely under the center console. Yes, I had to take everything apart to run the cable! Lots of fun!

There is plenty of room in there to hide a small volume remote knob, you just need to pay attention to what is behind and make sure you have room for wiring without causing unnecessary stress to the cable or breaking something underneath. If the knob is small enough, I don't see any reason why you can't drill a hole in the trim further back from the iDrive control for a volume remote. Seen it done several times. Just make sure you drill carefully, starting with a small bit size, and then stepping up to a bigger hole each time until your reach the desired diameter. Make sure it's clear behind where you are drilling the hole!

I hid a remote volume control for my JL Audio subwoofer amp inside my drivers side glove compartment/storage box. I drilled a hole in the back of the box for the wiring to pass through, and used double sided sticky tape to mount the small volume control in the upper right side so that I can still use the small compartment to store my sunglasses and security passcard. Honestly I used this remote control more than the Director remote control for my Match amp. It was easy to reach for it without having to take my eyes off the road and adjust the level of my trunk subwoofer. The director remote control was used to select some presets in my Match amplifier, so I only made adjustments there at the beginning of my journey.

Incidentally I just sold my 2014 F30 a few weeks ago, and removed this entire system from the car before trading it in for a newer 2017 F36 Gran Coupe. Unfortunately the audio equipment I removed is not compatible with my "newer" Harmon Kardon system, so I'll be posting it for sale here as soon as I get an opportunity to create the listing. It was a fun project, and I'm looking forward to doing something "better" in my newer car!
Attached Images

Last edited by Arthurrs; 03-20-2024 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:49 AM   #7
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

I installed the knob from the trubk sub amp into the center console. Went under the backseat and rear carpet. Had to pull the center console out. Wasn’t fun but certainly worth it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 07:58 PM   #8
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
I installed the knob from the trubk sub amp into the center console. Went under the backseat and rear carpet. Had to pull the center console out. Wasn’t fun but certainly worth it.
That looks awesome!! How do you like the amp? Where/how did you install the amp itself?
      04-09-2024, 03:15 AM   #9
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

The amp does what I need it to do, which is push 1 infinity 10” trunk sub. The amp is mounted under the trunk thing. I don’t think I have pictures of the amp install but I’ve attached a picture of the sub install. I tuned the system with a Dayton Audio tuning microphone to the best of my ability with the factory HK EQ and sub amp. I think my next stereo mod will be the earthquake under seat woofers and a PnP amp with DSP to replace the HK amp.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0