F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > bilstein b8
proTUNING Freaks

11-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #23
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Bilstein dampers raise the ride height for a couple of reasons. In the front the spring pad base isn't as slanted/curved as the OE base, and seems to be placed a bit higher than the OE struts. Additionally you have much higher gas forces exerting an additional 40-50lbs of force upwards. So if you were to calculate the compression of your springs you'd subtract 40-50lbs per corner to see the true amount of compression.

This is due to the higher low-speed compression forces the Bilstein dampers have. Low speed damping controls body movements. Bilsteins are pretty overdamped, but likely pair better with the F34 vs F30 or F2x since it's heavier and has stiffer springs. A lot of aftermarket lowering/stiffer springs don't actually have as high rates as the F34 can come with stock.
Thanks Farkie! Seems like you have good reviews of the b8. How does it compare to the others such as Koni (if it is available?). Saw other posts for other f3x series by you.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #24
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Comfort- The small bumps and road imperfections are soaked up nicely. The front suspension takes speedbumps etc with greater comfort than stock, the rear takes it with a 'whump' ie the rebound is much faster but I havent sat in the back bnot sure about comfort levels in the back but front is sweet.
When in low speed in a pothole the shock absorption is excellent and sometimes cannot feel a thing but in mid speeds sometimes the same potholes there is a thud.

In high speed it is a different story road undulations etc would induce discomfort in stock setup with the acs b8 combo it is very composed.

Cornering- My car now is a different beast altogether. Body roll is down by around 70% and it is incredible. it was very uncomfortable with body roll before around tight corners/corners at high speed now there is no drama and I stay still and can focus on driving. It is excellent

Steering- This is where it has shown most improvement. The wishy washy feel is gone . The car goes where I want it to go and the slightest tuen of the steering wheel is associated witht he appropriate change in response. The tendency is topwards oversteer and it makes one appreciate how much understeer there was before and the numbness is now away.
Despite this there is no fishtailing as it is an x drive model the stability that I currently have for eg which turning at an incline on to a wet road is just amazing.

The F34 is a bulky car esp the 335 and the best you can do for it is to switch to michelin ps4 non runflats and then to get the ACS B8 combo. Trust me I am million miles away from how I used to 'put up with the car (road noise due to runflats and bounceiness bordering on beinga death trap in corners)

I am very satisfied and cannot stop smiling. me and my F34 are best of pals in the wet potholed roads of glasgow. I will keep this car until I know which way the looney environment band brigade takes us and will not commit to another buy until then.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #25
liveevil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 320i GT

Thanks KRS_SN for the review!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #26
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d GT Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
i have pulled the trigger.
I have a 335d xdrive
just ordered bilstein b8 shocks
this will pair up with acs springs that are already installed on the car(but have busted the front stock shocks in 10k miles since installation - could be a coincidence as car has done 50 k miles in total ).
B8 Shocks will be with me on thu.
I will get them installed next week.
will post a review as soon as I have them installed.
Hi KRS,

Really like the sound of your setup, I have the exact same car and colour

I'm after the Bilstein B8s but can't seem to find them available in a set
Where did you get yours from and do you have the product codes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:05 PM   #27
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub5 View Post
Quote:
i have pulled the trigger.
I have a 335d xdrive
just ordered bilstein b8 shocks
this will pair up with acs springs that are already installed on the car(but have busted the front stock shocks in 10k miles since installation - could be a coincidence as car has done 50 k miles in total ).
B8 Shocks will be with me on thu.
I will get them installed next week.
will post a review as soon as I have them installed.
Hi KRS,

Really like the sound of your setup, I have the exact same car and colour

I'm after the Bilstein B8s but can't seem to find them available in a set
Where did you get yours from and do you have the product codes?

Thanks
hi,

https://www.bilsteinsuspensionstore.co.uk/. I got mine from them and they were polite and prompt.
call them and they will have exact matches for your car.
AFAIK b8 of f3 series are the same ie f30 f32 f34 all have same b8 product code.
The stability at speed and cornering abilities between oem and b8 is astounding. Inner city broken roads can be more transmitted to chassis so are motorway joints. But handling and safety is exceptional so is high speed ie over 40mph comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #28
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
AFAIK b8 of f3 series are the same ie f30 f32 f34 all have same b8 product code.
Yup, this is true for all models of the same drive wheel type (so one PN across all xDrive cars, and one across all sDrive cars).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #29
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info - ended up ordering the B8s on Demon Tweeks as they were on offer (33%) off and they have them in stock. All in for £590 and just ordered the ACS springs for £210 on offer. Now the long wait for them to arrive then install...
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:12 PM   #30
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub5 View Post
Thanks for the info - ended up ordering the B8s on Demon Tweeks as they were on offer (33%) off and they have them in stock. All in for £590 and just ordered the ACS springs for £210 on offer. Now the long wait for them to arrive then install...
good stuff i got them 570 delivered so you've done quite well. ACS wasn't on offer so had to pay around 324 for them!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #31
MOONx02
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT XDrive (F34)

Quote:
Ok I was so dissatisfied with my 335 drive gt when I bought it. power plant was excellent but suspension and steering were shit.
ACS springs and installation £700
Ditched tun flats for Michelin pilot sport 4 £800
Bilstein b8 shocks and installation £900
New drop links and shock mounts £300
roughly £3000 all in all from purchase to now.

But Im so much in love with my car now. £3k is small change for a car thats stable fast responsive silent comfortable and one that i plan to keep for at least another 3 years.. More to follow....
Which drop links and shock mounts did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #32
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONx02 View Post
Quote:
Ok I was so dissatisfied with my 335 drive gt when I bought it. power plant was excellent but suspension and steering were shit.
ACS springs and installation £700
Ditched tun flats for Michelin pilot sport 4 £800
Bilstein b8 shocks and installation £900
New drop links and shock mounts £300
roughly £3000 all in all from purchase to now.

But Im so much in love with my car now. £3k is small change for a car thats stable fast responsive silent comfortable and one that i plan to keep for at least another 3 years.. More to follow....
Which drop links and shock mounts did you go with?
moog drop links
coretco strut mounts
both are oem replacement equivalents actually saw the bmw logo on them (scored off).
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #33
Sub5
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok turns out the Bilsteins were mainly in stock but not the front right shock until the end of June!!!
Might be a blessing in disguise though as I have Koni Special Actives with me here now ready to go in next week with the ACS springs.
This isn't a common setup that I've seen on the forum but I am interested in keeping the car comfy as well as getting to handle better. I know the Bilsteins will be better for handling overall but I think the Koni SAs will suit the Norfolk roads better. Also they were only around £450 for the set!

I'll make a new thread next week on how this setup works.. also getting 335i twin exit style exhaust fitted at the same time.