F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stage 1: FMIC and chargepipe Question
Extreme Powerhouse

02-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #1
DoiyaSan
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320i xdrive

Stage 1: FMIC and chargepipe Question

Hi all,

I have read a lot about this but still have not got a conclusion:

So my car is 320xi N20 without any mod except a BM3 stage 1. Do I need a FMIC and/or a charge pipe? BTW I will never go to stage 2.

I saw a number people saying a chargepipe is a must have for the N55s. But how many of you guys with N20s ever had your stock chargepipe running into issues? I don't think I need one because the stage 1 tune targets only 17 ish PSI.

And your thoughts about FMIC? FYI, I live in NY state, USA.
      02-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

stage 1 or less, charge pipe is not really needed.

i have FTP Motorsport, charge/TIC pipe combo with my stage 1 flash, because at the time, i didn't know changing the CP wasn't necessary, unless running much higher boost.

the stock intercooler is great, however when the weather is hot and humid in NY, the best FMIC for stage 1 is the Wagner Evo 1 competition. it is not cheap, though. if you can't afford that, there are other 5" stepped intecoolers available that do a reasonably good job. i have a CTS Turbo FMIC, nice quality and fitment, works great, on sale shipped to your door, here... https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...it-direct-fit/
Appreciate 1
johnung4945.50
      02-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Killakittie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 M-Sport 330i

Fmic is always a good idea for hot climates especially when running higher boost pressures.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Its always recommended upgrading your charge pipe and intercooler when tuning a BMW. That being said, its not mandatory on stage 1 application

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoiyaSan View Post
Hi all,

So my car is 320xi N20 without any mod except a BM3 stage 1. Do I need a FMIC and/or a charge pipe? BTW I will never go to stage 2.

I saw a number people saying a chargepipe is a must have for the N55s. But how many of you guys with N20s ever had your stock chargepipe running into issues? I don't think I need one because the stage 1 tune targets only 17 ish PSI.

I was told by my indie mechanic that he doesn't see charge pipe issues with N20s nearly as much as with n55 engines
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
prkr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
I was told by my indie mechanic that he doesn't see charge pipe issues with N20s nearly as much as with n55 engines
That could have to do with the fact that more people modify n55s rather than n20s. I'd be willing to bet the majority of n20s remain stock.
      03-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkr View Post
Quote:
That could have to do with the fact that more people modify n55s rather than n20s. I'd be willing to bet the majority of n20s remain stock.
True. I'm rolling with a JB stage 1 in my 428i (only about 200 miles in). From my understanding if the charge pipe blows, you'll have to get towed but you don't have to worry about blowing your engine and having a $15k bill from the dealer.

I'm more concerned with the extra stress on the timing chain as these have blown in many peoples n20 engines without tunes :
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 08:16 PM   #8
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

The N55 charge pipe breaks because it is a poor design. It always breaks at the 90 bend. It breaks on completely stock engines and BMW just shrugs and replaces it if it's under warranty. Increasing the boost with a tune just exposes a poorly designed part on what is an otherwise ruggedly designed engine.

So that's why it would be unusual for a charge pipe to break on an N20 because they don't have that ridiculous bend in the charge pipe design.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50
      03-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi all,

The N55 charge pipe breaks because it is a poor design. It always breaks at the 90 bend. It breaks on completely stock engines and BMW just shrugs and replaces it if it's under warranty. Increasing the boost with a tune just exposes a poorly designed part on what is an otherwise ruggedly designed engine.

So that's why it would be unusual for a charge pipe to break on an N20 because they don't have that ridiculous bend in the charge pipe design.
Photo of N55 stock charge pipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 08:22 PM   #10
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
stage 1 or less, charge pipe is not really needed.

i have FTP Motorsport, charge/TIC pipe combo with my stage 1 flash, because at the time, i didn't know changing the CP wasn't necessary, unless running much higher boost.

the stock intercooler is great, however when the weather is hot and humid in NY, the best FMIC for stage 1 is the Wagner Evo 1 competition. it is not cheap, though. if you can't afford that, there are other 5" stepped intecoolers available that do a reasonably good job. i have a CTS Turbo FMIC, nice quality and fitment, works great, on sale shipped to your door, here... https://www.ctsturbo.com/product/cts...it-direct-fit/
FYI- Extreme Powerhouse announced last week that the Wagner Competition EVO1 price had dropped by $160. So that helps.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #11
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

This topic has literally been beaten to death. Just use the search function🤟🏻

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:21 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi all,

An FMIC is one of those things that you don't know that you need until you have one, and then could never live without it.

I was driving around with a BMW MPPK tune which is not as powerful as a BootMod3 Stage1 tune. Then I got my Wagner Competition EVO1 FMIC installed. Suddenly heat soak, that I didn't realize that I had, was gone! My engine felt strong all of the time.

Now I'm running BootMod3 Stage2 and my Wagner Competition keeps it going strong.
Appreciate 1