F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Pneumatic wastegate help/options?
Studio RSR

09-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
N20 Pneumatic wastegate help/options?

Hey whats up guys, I have a 2012 328 with the vacuum wastegate instead of the electronic one like practically all others. My question is are their any upgrades for the wastegate? is it necessary? As I continue to upgrade and modify the motor I'm worried that it wont hold the boost pressure properly as the boost continues to go up. I'm doing the Dinan stage 3 tune here pretty soon and want it to run tip top? is the OE mitsubishi one adjustable? are their any aftermarket options? I found one made by mamba but I'm not sure if it's legit or not. It's so hard to find info on the MWG N20. anyone on here build one? any tips?

the mamba down below is a piston type actuator instead of the OE diaphragm type
Attached Images

BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
@youtube.com/fastactionjax/

Last edited by FastActionJax; 09-21-2018 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
bump
BootMod3 stage 2 93 octane AGG| K&N Drop In| Turner Motorsports Intercooler| BMS Catchcan| FTP Chargepipe & TIC| MST Turbo Intake Pipe| CW Catless Downpipe| BAV Coils| KW DDC Coilovers| Active Autowerke Exhaust| CF Mirrors| CF Spoiler| Rohana RFX11| Black Painted Roof| @instagram.com/fastactionjax/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

I think if you're going to upgrade it at all, I would upgrade to the OEM EWG from the newer N2x models.

While I'm not exactly sure how much more accurate/better at holding boost the EWG is than the PWG, I don't know that it would be worth the hassle of upgrading to the EWG, as I'm sure it's not a simple swap process.
      09-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
I think if you're going to upgrade it at all, I would upgrade to the OEM EWG from the newer N2x models.

While I'm not exactly sure how much more accurate/better at holding boost the EWG is than the PWG, I don't know that it would be worth the hassle of upgrading to the EWG, as I'm sure it's not a simple swap process.
I may just try this mamba one, for just 130 bucks it wouldnt be too much of a hit if it was junk. I've seen their turbos on some pretty impressive builds so they must not be too bad. But while I got you here. how do you like your downpipe? I was thinking about doing the same one. but I'd have to do it after the tune cause from what I've heard dinan wont tune with a catless downpipe. (dont know if their is truth to that but I'd hate to make the trip for a tune and be disappointed)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
I may just try this mamba one, for just 130 bucks it wouldnt be too much of a hit if it was junk. I've seen their turbos on some pretty impressive builds so they must not be too bad. But while I got you here. how do you like your downpipe? I was thinking about doing the same one. but I'd have to do it after the tune cause from what I've heard dinan wont tune with a catless downpipe. (dont know if their is truth to that but I'd hate to make the trip for a tune and be disappointed)
I guess if you trust the company, there are worse things you could experiment with for $130. If you go for it, let us know how it turns out.

I had a lot of trouble with my VRSF downpipe. It was about .020" too large on the turbo connection, and therefore did not fit my N20 no matter how hard I tried. I took it to a great shop who also couldn't work it on there, found out it was too large (their measuring is how I know it was too big, I just thought I was doing something wrong), and they had to machine it down a bit to get it fit. If the thing fit out of the box, it would be great. Made well, flex joint is holding up well and it all around seems very well made, it just, didn't fit. Then again, some people had good luck with VRSF. I'd go with ER for a downpipe, unless you want to gamble on the VRSF one.

Also, I'm not sure I would do a downpipe if you plan to stick with Dinan as your tuning platform. Dinan is great, but in their effort to stay totally CARB legal and market as OEM +, as someone else described it, they prevent themselves from working with catless DP's. So you can do a catless DP with Dinan, but there are other platforms out there that will tailor their products more towards cars with catless downpipes.
      09-26-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

If you went EWG, the real question would be if you could retrofit that and if the DME would accept it.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
I guess if you trust the company, there are worse things you could experiment with for $130. If you go for it, let us know how it turns out.

I had a lot of trouble with my VRSF downpipe. It was about .020" too large on the turbo connection, and therefore did not fit my N20 no matter how hard I tried. I took it to a great shop who also couldn't work it on there, found out it was too large (their measuring is how I know it was too big, I just thought I was doing something wrong), and they had to machine it down a bit to get it fit. If the thing fit out of the box, it would be great. Made well, flex joint is holding up well and it all around seems very well made, it just, didn't fit. Then again, some people had good luck with VRSF. I'd go with ER for a downpipe, unless you want to gamble on the VRSF one.

Also, I'm not sure I would do a downpipe if you plan to stick with Dinan as your tuning platform. Dinan is great, but in their effort to stay totally CARB legal and market as OEM +, as someone else described it, they prevent themselves from working with catless DP's. So you can do a catless DP with Dinan, but there are other platforms out there that will tailor their products more towards cars with catless downpipes.
Yeah I definitely dont want to take the risk on that, I'll most likely go with the ER or AFE then. I can only imagine how frustrated you were with that whole situation. I was just trying to save a buck as the VRSF is a bit cheaper (I'm a cheap A$$ lol). I will absolutely post the results of the mamba wastegate as well if I order. As far as the dinan tune, The car already had the dinan tune when I bought it. I bought it out of state sight unseen and when it showed up the hood latch was broken and I couldnt get under the hood, finally when I replaced it and popped the hood there it was (nice little bonus but wouldnt have been my first choice) the car was bone stock other than that. the previous owner did it when he bought the car I later found out. I thought about selling it but they arent bad units so I'm really conflicted about it. Selling it could pay for whatever tune I need cause they are so expensive new
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
If you went EWG, the real question would be if you could retrofit that and if the DME would accept it.
Yeah I've never seen anyone attempt it or think its even possible, I wouldnt want to be the test dummy lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I definitely dont want to take the risk on that, I'll most likely go with the ER or AFE then. I can only imagine how frustrated you were with that whole situation. I was just trying to save a buck as the VRSF is a bit cheaper (I'm a cheap A$$ lol). I will absolutely post the results of the mamba wastegate as well if I order. As far as the dinan tune, The car already had the dinan tune when I bought it. I bought it out of state sight unseen and when it showed up the hood latch was broken and I couldnt get under the hood, finally when I replaced it and popped the hood there it was (nice little bonus but wouldnt have been my first choice) the car was bone stock other than that. the previous owner did it when he bought the car I later found out. I thought about selling it but they arent bad units so I'm really conflicted about it. Selling it could pay for whatever tune I need cause they are so expensive new
Definitely frustrating, but it's all sorted now

With what the full stage 1 Dinan tune costs new, you could probably sell it for at least what it costs to get a good flash tune, and maybe even have some left over to go towards the downpipe. You should also consider though, that once you get a downpipe and run the accompanying software, that you'll need an intercooler as well.

Like Bunker said too, I'd be curious what the retrofit process would be like going from PWG to EWG. I wouldn't want to try it either if I were you lol. But if you're concerned about it, it'd be cool for some one (maybe you ) to try Mamba or another good aftermarket company for an upgraded PWG.
      09-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Definitely frustrating, but it's all sorted now

With what the full stage 1 Dinan tune costs new, you could probably sell it for at least what it costs to get a good flash tune, and maybe even have some left over to go towards the downpipe. You should also consider though, that once you get a downpipe and run the accompanying software, that you'll need an intercooler as well.

Like Bunker said too, I'd be curious what the retrofit process would be like going from PWG to EWG. I wouldn't want to try it either if I were you lol. But if you're concerned about it, it'd be cool for some one (maybe you ) to try Mamba or another good aftermarket company for an upgraded PWG.
I've thought about going with the JB4 but I guess time will tell, I like the idea of having the dinan because it's not just a piggyback but I also like power and the joy of building and modifying like most of us. I'd like to get as much as I can get out of it. As far as the intercooler goes I actually already have it and the TIC pipe. They're just sitting in the corner of my Room staring at me every night reminding me how much of a loser I am for not having it on yet lol. I just want to get as much as I can together before I retune, Once I figure out the exhaust I want to go with, the downpipe, and the Wastegate I'll tune it.

I appreciate the info I've gotten from you as well!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 06:08 PM   #11
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've thought about going with the JB4 but I guess time will tell, I like the idea of having the dinan because it's not just a piggyback but I also like power and the joy of building and modifying like most of us. I'd like to get as much as I can get out of it. As far as the intercooler goes I actually already have it and the TIC pipe. They're just sitting in the corner of my Room staring at me every night reminding me how much of a loser I am for not having it on yet lol. I just want to get as much as I can together before I retune, Once I figure out the exhaust I want to go with, the downpipe, and the Wastegate I'll tune it.

I appreciate the info I've gotten from you as well!
Well, I was, probably too subtly, hinting at BM3 for you . I would recommend that strongly before JB4. But like you said, you want to figure out the exhaust, DP and waste gate first, so it just sounds like you've got some thinking to do . It took me forever to decide what I wanted for this car, so I feel that completely lol.

Last edited by rjd_F30; 09-26-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Going to EWG from PWG will require cables/ splicing and coding so not recommended.

Also the actuator is generic and can be replaced with any parts from Garret or Mitsubishi with ones that can be unscrewed and springs be swapped out. Just need to make sure the tension arms are close to the same size but any one of those manufacturers will be able to give you specs and order parts.

But the actuator is not a problem on our cars as the turbo is maxed at 300HP which most diaphragms can hold well above that and are not an issue.
2012 F30: G25-660 Bottom Mount Mani+ DP+ Intake, CSF FMIC, VRSF CP, Walbro 450 LPFP, PR Injection with AIC 4, S63TU Injectors, Tuned with BM3, ZF Race 4 Puck and Non SSA Pressure plate, Catless, 3.5" Quad Muffler, Custom Valved Bilstein B8 + H&R SS. Max 456 WHP - 452 WTRQ. Currently tuned down to 434 WHP and 362 WTRQ to save the rods.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

IIRC the Dinan tunes are piggyback tunes similar to JB4. If I am not mistaken, they intercept/plug into the TMAP and MAP sesnors (along with OBD2 port).

I recommend going flash tune, such as BM3 or AA over piggybacks.... gives you more control (and in theory should be safer).
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ1032.00
      10-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Flash is always safer than piggy back. Flash changes all tables in the ECU and works together. Piggy back intercepts and alters values at basic levels... So since ECU Flashing is available now for our cars that should be the ONLY way to go... You can stack the JB4 for additional fueling and controls to change on the fly but for base tunes Flash is 100% recommended.
2012 F30: G25-660 Bottom Mount Mani+ DP+ Intake, CSF FMIC, VRSF CP, Walbro 450 LPFP, PR Injection with AIC 4, S63TU Injectors, Tuned with BM3, ZF Race 4 Puck and Non SSA Pressure plate, Catless, 3.5" Quad Muffler, Custom Valved Bilstein B8 + H&R SS. Max 456 WHP - 452 WTRQ. Currently tuned down to 434 WHP and 362 WTRQ to save the rods.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:52 AM   #15
enemigo13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 LCI 440xi citrineblack

ewg and pwg ecus are different ewg is mevd17.2.9, pwg is mevd17.2.4, so another ecu will be required for sure. I would not change it to ewg, as I saw pwg n20 holds about the same boost as ewg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Appreciate 0