F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Different Tyre Brand, Front to Rear?
Extreme Powerhouse

07-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Different Tyre Brand, Front to Rear?

Hi All,

Don’t worry, this isn’t the usual RFT to Non RFT debate!

I changed my front tyres a couple of years back (hardly any wear due to Covid) from Bridgestone RFT, to Goodyear F1 Ass3 RFT and now its time to change my rears.
I have been keeping an eye on the cost of the Goodyears, but they are pretty expensive (255’s 18”) and not always easy to get hold off. So I am thinking of replacing the rears with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP, as they are more accessible and cost less.

I have experienced no issues with the current setup and I assume as I will continue to be running RFT all round, with similar tyre tread patterns, there are no issues in doing this. Am I correct in assuming this?

This is on a rear wheel drive only.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Generally, using tires (tyres) from different manufacturers is OK as long as ...

- Both front and rear tires are either RFT or non RFT
- The tread pattern is similar
- Tread compound is similar (caveat: information may be difficult to identify)
- Load index and speed rating are the same as much as possible

Since your vehicle is RWD, tires with the most grip should be mounted on rear wheels.

The biggest concern I see in this setup: your vehicle will have RFT tires from different manufacturers and because of variances in sidewall stiffness the handling may change.
Appreciate 1
PX3139.50
      07-26-2021, 02:33 PM   #3
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Generally, using tires (tyres) from different manufacturers is OK as long as ...

- Both front and rear tires are either RFT or non RFT
- The tread pattern is similar
- Tread compound is similar (caveat: information may be difficult to identify)
- Load index and speed rating are the same as much as possible

Since your vehicle is RWD, tires with the most grip should be mounted on rear wheels.

The biggest concern I see in this setup: your vehicle will have RFT tires from different manufacturers and because of variances in sidewall stiffness the handling may change.
I appreciate your comments, thanks.
It seems to me that if I wish to play it safe 100%, I am best off sticking to the same brand etc as I currently have on the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #4
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Personally, I wouldn't worry about mixing brands on front and rear as long as they are all RFT (or non RFT) and the right load rating etc..mixing tyres on an axle is more of a no no in my book but in reality is probably fine too.

Any difference in sidewall flex as mentioned above would be negligible unless you drive like Lewis Hamilton. Consider different roiling diameters if you had 4mm on the font and 8mm on the back? Again, negligible unless at 11/10ths

X Drive is a completely different barrel of fish.

IMHO just change a pair and save yourself some money.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
PX3139.50
      07-26-2021, 04:44 PM   #5
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
Personally, I wouldn't worry about mixing brands on front and rear as long as they are all RFT (or non RFT) and the right load rating etc..mixing tyres on an axle is more of a no no in my book but in reality is probably fine too.

Any difference in sidewall flex as mentioned above would be negligible unless you drive like Lewis Hamilton. Consider different roiling diameters if you had 4mm on the font and 8mm on the back? Again, negligible unless at 11/10ths

X Drive is a completely different barrel of fish.

IMHO just change a pair and save yourself some money.
Cheers.

The Michelin tyres would be identical spec to the Goodyear, so no issue there. Both brands are XL to, so in theory should eliminate the wall strength concern ( but as you say, I don't tend to thrash it round corners!)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #6
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

I have star marked Pirelli RFT on the front and Falken RFT on rear, but wouldn't change brands on the axel as then one side could handle differently.

Stick to RFT and you'll be fine.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
PX3139.50