F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension / Shock Absorber advice - rough ride
Studio RSR

09-16-2023, 12:43 PM   #45
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30bmw340i View Post
cfm56d7b Approx 27k miles
f30bmw340i Thanks for the mileage details.

The mileage is a bit too low for the OEM EDC shocks to fail although it does happen, albeit rarely.

My 2017 F36 has almost 47K miles and OEM EDC shocks perform as good as new. Could be because Orange County SoCal roads are in a better-than-average condition.

While B4 Damptronic shocks are designed to replace OEM EDC shocks while retaining OEM springs, they are approx. 10% stiffer.

It's doubtful that B4 Damptronic shocks will completely address your main goals. The suspension travel will be the same and these shocks may not offer materially better (measurable) compression and rebound cycle response.

Since I plan to retain EDC functionality when replacing OEM shocks, B4 Damptronic shocks are still my first choice.

Returning to your goals.

If retaining EDC functionality isn't a priority, there are additional options to consider - with their own disadvantages.

1. KW V3 coilovers offer independently adjustable compression and rebound controls which will provide a wide range of tuning options to achieve the comfort level you want. However, KW V3 coilovers lower the vehicle - more than some prefer.

2. KW V3 coilovers are expensive - about $3K. What's interesting is that KW V3 coilovers were instrumental in improving comfort in vehicles with 20" 405M wheels and tires with minimal sidewall. These wheels look great but transmit significantly more harshness. Independently adjustable compression and rebound cycle helped in this case, despite the vehicle being lowered.

3. KW also offers KW V3 Leveling coilovers which can provide OEM suspension height and the benefits of KW V3 coilovers. I don't have experience with these coilovers.

So unfortunately there is no perfect answer and that's why I elected to accept the shortcomings of BMW 2VF M Adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 12:02 PM   #46
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Cannot say enough about johnung suggestion to reduce the unsprung weight at each wheel. Will definitely help.
Ditto that. Go with 18” wheels, ditch the RF’s. Ordered my 2020 230i with 18’s and now run Conti dws06+.
There’s an old seminar session with Steve Dinan talking about the highly important (and completely overlooked) aspect of reducing unsprung weight; in particular wheels. This is why he (before Dinan sold to Holley) developed the Dinan wheels.

Last edited by GoldenWest; 11-11-2023 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      11-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #47
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

[QUOTE=cfm56d7b;30493823]f30bmw340i
“Thanks for the mileage details.
The mileage is a bit too low for the OEM EDC shocks to fail although it does happen, albeit rarely.
My 2017 F36 has almost 47K miles and OEM EDC shocks perform as good as new. Could be because Orange County SoCal roads are in a better-than-average condition.”

The front struts on wife’s ‘17 x1 were blown out and leaking @ only 43K. I’d noticed the ride, handling, etc was comprised, but the only way we knew was due to a “rubbing” sound from upper strut tower bearings when turning at very low speeds. The struts were leaking oil and had “washed” away the strut bearing grease.
Replaced F & R with Koni SA.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 01:51 PM   #48
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenWest View Post
Ditto that. Go with 18” wheels, ditch the RF’s. Ordered my 2020 230i with 18’s and now run Conti dws06+.
There’s an old seminar session with Steve Dinan talking about the highly important (and completely overlooked) aspect of reducing unsprung weight; in particular wheels. This is why he (before Dinan sold to Holley) developed the Dinan wheels.
I gotta give credit to Alohasurftoad who educated me about the advantages of reducing not just unsprung weight but rotational mass when he was helping me to evaluate wheel options. The forged APEX wheels that I chose were only 17.2lbs! About 10lbs less than stock BMW 400M’s. (I took them both, wheels and their tires, to the local post office scale to get the most accurate weights)

So that was about 40lbs in rotational mass saved. A definite improvement in acceleration, braking, handling and mpg.

Rotational Mass savings also helped me to justify the more expensive purchase of full floating front rotors which saved about 3.5lbs each over BMW rotors.

The best deal on those is Paragon Brakes full floating front 340x30 or 370x30 rotors which can be ordered in full crossdrilled with anti-rust coating. They are $1,050-$1,150 per pair but that’s less than half of what StopTech’s full floating cost. And later only the cheaper wear ring needs to be replaced.
Appreciate 1