F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Keys not working unless car is "awake"
ARMA SPEED

10-24-2021, 08:33 PM   #1
FRFNUGN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Keys not working unless car is "awake"

Just picked up an F30 from a used car dealership. They had the "blinker module" replaced as they called it, prior to me picking it up, as the front right blinker wasn't working. I believe it was actually the comfort control unit (they left the old part in the car for me, for whatever reason).

Since I've picked it up, the key fobs won't unlock/lock the doors or trunk, unless the car was recently accessed / "awakened". What I mean by that, is once I take the physical key out and unlock a door, accessory power turns on and then the fobs work as intended. They will start the car and everything is great. Once I get out and lock it, power cuts off after a minute or two and the keys stop working again.

I can also tap the trunk release button (on the trunk, not the key), without actually unlatching the trunk, and then the keys will function as normal when that accessory power is active. So, clearly it's not a key fob battery issue. Somehow, there's not constant power to the vehicle receiver or something. Anyone have any ideas? How is that comfort control unit tied into the key fobs working? I showed this to the dealer when I picked it up on Saturday, but the keys then worked fine after I started the car, so they said keep an eye on it. I wanted to try to narrow down what was wrong rather than leave it up to them to decipher, as I don't have much faith they'd figure it out quickly (and I'd then be without a car for who knows how long). I believe they'll take care of whatever fix is necessary, however I need to guide them to the problem first I think.

Picture of the part for reference:
[IMG]https://bparts-eu.s3-eu-west-1.amazo...ojgjjns7de.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's not a 'blinker module'. That's the FEM, Front Electronic Module, which controls over half the electronics in the car. You can't just pop a new one in, it has to be programmed. That must be done by a dealer, or an indy with the right gear and the knowledge of how to use it. Since he doesn't know the difference between a blinker module and an FEM I wouldn't trust your used car jockey to attempt it, as he probably doesn't have the necessary gear, let alone the knowledge how to use it.
Appreciate 3
BimR245.00
njdangelo434.50
FRFNUGN20.00
      10-25-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
FRFNUGN
Private First Class
Rep

I was wondering if maybe they hadn't programmed it properly. I also noticed that the interior lights aren't working (dome & footwell). I popped the old FEM back in, and lo and behold everything functions perfectly (except for the front passenger turn signal, which is why this module was initially replaced). Either the programming isn't correct, or there's some subtle difference in the hardware. Here's a picture of the two labels. I don't know how exactly to decipher the acronyms - stock is ZB6_MID (which I read about where someone was trying to retrofit interior lighting) but the new part just shows "ZB FEM". Could that indicate that the new part isn't compatible with my vehicle's options?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The new FEM has to be programmed to know what's in your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #5
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

As BillFitz says - the module is programmed for your specific car/options. Take it to a proper Euro mechanic and let them help you out.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #6
FRFNUGN
Private First Class
Rep

Just to close the loop - the indy shop reprogrammed and all is working. Not sure if they just didn't program it the first time around or if they did it wrong. Regardless, everything is normal now. Thanks for your replies.
Appreciate 0