F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Noise from heating/ventilation system (NOT leaves/debris in inlet)
GetBMWParts

03-17-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
GTFOmyLAWN
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D F30 2012

Noise from heating/ventilation system (NOT leaves/debris in inlet)

I'm the owner of a BMW 316D F30 from 2012. I've had the car for some years now. I bought it used, and I immediatly noticed it had a weird noise while driving. At first I thought it was normal, but then I gradually found out that the noise was only present whenever I had the climate system turned on. I also had another sound when turning up the AC on max, but I live in Denmark where the temperatures rarely incline you to use AC, so it never bugged me so much. However its freaking cold most part of the year, so the noise from the heater is driving me crazy.

After reading alot of posts about leaves getting stuck in the inlet to the HVAC, I decided to open the hood, remove the cover and clean the inlet. To my surprise it was very clean, didn't see anything there, but decidd to vacuum and clean it anyway. After I did that, the AC stopped being noisy when I tried turning it on max, so at least the AC-problem got fixed. But I still heard that annoying sound when using the heater. So I decided to take out the HVAC motor from under the glove compartment and I thouroughly cleaned it and used a little WD-40 on the seal to the bearings. I did find a tiny leaf stuck near the coils to the electromagnetic motor and thought I had solved the problem. I reinstalled it and was so happy that I thought I had solved the problem, but to my despair the noise was still there when I did a test drive.

The noise:
Present whenever the heater is on. Most noticable on heat setting 2-4 and whenever I speed up, especially in the lower gears at 1500-2500 rpm. Disappears immediatly when I turn the heater off. Noise appears to originate somehwere in the center front of the car, somewhere behind the center outlets, but it can just be the sound is transmitted through here.

I decided to do a small video, where you can clearly hear it as I turn the heater on/off. The noise appears louder in real life and can drive you crazy.

Does anyone know what this problem is and how I can solve it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

If it's the squeaky mouse noise, that's the blower motor maybe being a little off balance from all the dust on its fins.

I've had that with every bmw I've had. Even this 2016 one just recently. I just 'exercise' it and hope it knocks off all the gunk it'd build up over the years and knock the balance off. I know it can go on for years, too. If you removed it already, did you clean up the fins at all? Maybe dust them off with a painting brush?

Good luck. How was getting to it? Sounds like it'd be a pain in the back.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
GTFOmyLAWN
Denmark
Rep

I actually meticulously cleaned each blade. It didn't have that much dust/dirt on the blades, but figured I might as well clean them now that I took it out. First I took a small painting brush, but the dust was somewhat stuck on the blades, so I cut up a sponge into a small rectangular piece, so I could get it in between the blades. It took me about 40 minutes to clean the blades alone.

The blade case was spinning quite nicely too, even before I started. I've seen videos where people mention moisture can get into the motor and make it spin badly with noises. It did have a little rust on the top bolt, but nothing major. I cleaned the rust of with some steel wool and applied a little WD40 just as a little maintence to prevent any future faults.

It was easy enough to get to the motor, although as you mention it was a pain in the back. The screw for the motor case furthest back was hard to get out, because the leg rest underneath was sloping, so it was hard to get enough room for the screwdriver. Had to unscrew from a slight angle. Also after I had gotten the motor out, the top plastic case covering the electromagnetic engine itself with coils, was secured by those little plastic grips that looks like "half an arrow tip" where you have to squeeze them all in at the same time to make them unhook. I improvised and used some plastic tooth picks as wedges to make them all ungrip at the same time. I was quite content about myself about that . Also the 2 electrical plugs to the motor was a bit of a nuisance to unplug. I had to take the motor out first, then use a small screwdrive to squeeze the a small plastic lock in order to get it out, instead of just squeezing the sides like most other plugs.

Anyway I can't rule out the motor itself can be the problem, I would just think it would make a sound while spinning it when I had it out, or at least some resistance of some sort. I'm not convinced that's the problem, but a spare motor isn't that expensive, so unless other people have suggestions I guess I should consider replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Is it preset when you change the air outlet? Is the Noise still there if you switch the air delivery to the footwell or defrost?
      03-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
GTFOmyLAWN
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Is it preset when you change the air outlet? Is the Noise still there if you switch the air delivery to the footwell or defrost?
I just did another test drive where I tried pushing the various buttons while driving. The noise is there both when the AC is on and off. It is also there wether I use cabin-recirculation or not. When I open/close the different air outlets the sound is still there, although less audible when I close the center outlets, suggesting the sound might be transmitted. I haven't tried directing the flow to the footwell only, but I think it would still be there, since opening/shutting the other outlets didn't make the noise disappear. I don't think I would be able to hear the noise if I put it on defrost to be honest, because of the high sound from the defrosting, but I will give it a try tomorrow.

It seems like the noise is loudest whenever I accelerate in the lower gears during 1500-2500 rpm and seems to disappear whenever I reach the higher gears and higher revolutions. I don't get the noise when I'm cruising the highway. It ALWAYS disappears the second I turn the climate system off, so it must be related to the climate system. Also what confuses me is that it is only present when I'm driving. If I only turn on the climate control without the engine/idle engine, I don't get the noise.

Last edited by GTFOmyLAWN; 03-17-2020 at 08:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
GTFOmyLAWN
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I tried directing the air flow to the footwell and the noise was still there. Also present while defrosting. I tried switching AC on/off, and it seemed like the sound was more pronounced whenever I had the AC turned on, so it might be related to the AC somehow, eventhough it is also present sometimes when the AC is off.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Stew_Pid
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 330d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFOmyLAWN View Post
I tried directing the air flow to the footwell and the noise was still there. Also present while defrosting. I tried switching AC on/off, and it seemed like the sound was more pronounced whenever I had the AC turned on, so it might be related to the AC somehow, eventhough it is also present sometimes when the AC is off.
I have exactly the same problem! Did you manage to resolve it?

It's driving me nuts!
      09-09-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Same issue here on my 2013 F30 330d. From what I read, it's coming from the bearings due to water ingress which is why the top bolt is rusted. I'm in work so can't watch your video but I take it it's a kind of fluttering/chirping noise that is always there no matter what you do with the settings?

If you look at this part on realoem you'll see that the original part (64119237559) has "ENDED" and was updated in 2014 with 64119350396, I presume for this issue. There's also a PUMA case (PuMA Measure 51847131) for it but I have yet to see those details.

I bought a second-hand motor from a 2016 M4 (they're all the same thing) and fitted it last night. The noise disappeared. However the replacement one was damaged considerably with cracks in the plastic on the base, chunks of plastic broken off here and there so it's going back. I don't want something like that in my otherwise pristine car but at least I know it solves the issue.

I also cleaned all the blades twice (the cloth was black afterwards), removed the bottom cover, cleaned it out and blew out all the dust inside the motor with a car blower along with the space the blower sits into. I put a few drops of 3 in 1 oil on the top and bottom of the spine at let it sit for a while but all to no avail.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

So I installed a brand new blower motor and the noise is still there. It does however go away when I turn off the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Stew_Pid
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
So I installed a brand new blower motor and the noise is still there. It does however go away when I turn off the A/C.
Bummer bud, but you said the M4 unit resolved the issue? So could it be due to fitment? E.g if the motor is not sitting perfectly flat when the bolts are tightened it may pull the housing askew a little? PC Case fans do the same thing when the screws aren't tightened evenly..
      10-06-2020, 06:41 AM   #11
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

I think the M4 one not causing any noise was a fluke.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #12
Stew_Pid
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetzgerMeister View Post
I think the M4 one not causing any noise was a fluke.
That doesn't make sense though, surely if the M4 unit didn't generate the noise then your original fan was the root cause?
      10-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #13
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep

The noise is intermittent some times. I didn't have the M4 one in long enough to check it out fully as it was a damaged unit and I didn't want it in there too long in case.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #14
M4 Newbie
Registered
Rep
Drives: M4 F82

The ultimate driving (me crazy noise...)

My noise sounds very similar, the car has done it since 4k miles when I bought it and I have got progressively more and more attuned to it, unfortunately...

Any ideas..?

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2023, 03:30 AM   #15
jcortez75
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i xdrive F36

I had the same issue. After removing the blower I found no leaves but when looking into the cavity I notice leaves stuck on the outside plastic mesh. So I proceeded through under the hood, removing the battery side panel, and another metal panel under that which is attached with 2 bolts, one that is really hard to get to :mad0259, but once removed I got access to the leaves on the outside of the ac blower and once cleaned out resolved my ac blower noise. Check out this video:

https://youtu.be/pl_9_EnUgyw
Appreciate 0