F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2021 M340 - Want some sound
Studio RSR

09-20-2021, 11:16 AM   #1
Meerdock
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

2021 M340 - Want some sound

Any recommendations on what I should do to give this thing some sound when I rip it? My friends like how it sounds but I want it to have a little more presence. It's a lease so I don't want to do anything crazy, but I can't justify spending 3k for the MPE exhaust (dealer said it's 2500 for parts, 500 for labor..) for just sound haha. I also don't want it to be annoyingly loud.

Any suggestions? JB4? Downpipe? MPE? Do I have any other cheaper options if it's just for sound? I wouldn't mind spending the 2k if I had some sort of performance boost on the MPE.

Really wish I knew the 21's were much quieter than the 20's before I bought.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerdock View Post
Any recommendations on what I should do to give this thing some sound when I rip it? My friends like how it sounds but I want it to have a little more presence. It's a lease so I don't want to do anything crazy, but I can't justify spending 3k for the MPE exhaust (dealer said it's 2500 for parts, 500 for labor..) for just sound haha. I also don't want it to be annoyingly loud.

Any suggestions? JB4? Downpipe? MPE? Do I have any other cheaper options if it's just for sound? I wouldn't mind spending the 2k if I had some sort of performance boost on the MPE.

Hello
And welcome to the forum - you've posted this in the F30 section (the 3 series prior to your M340) - you'll want to repost in the G20 in the section.

That said while I am here - the M340 already has a dual non resonated exhaust (twin pipes from downpipe to muffler without resonators) sooo....I would suggest a catted or cattless Downpipe running through the stock muffler - thats what I am doing and it's just about perfect

Anyhoo here's a link to section of the forum you'll want to post in

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=777
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

Quote:

Downpipe will instantly give you much louder starts, much louder cold-start idle, and a deeper sound throughout. That's my experience with my b58. Like the person above said, there's no point to a mid pipe or anything like that since you don't have resonators. Intake is only if you want a whirrr/whistle sound while the turbo is active. I recommend 200-300 cell DP or a catless, but catless smells bad. You're looking at around $600-$1000 for the high flow catted dp, or $300-500 for a catless.

If you're looking to impress when you start the car and idle, a DP will do that. If you're looking for something crazy loud with crackles and pops and bangs, you won't be satisfied. But it is a night and day difference after I swapped the DP.
      09-20-2021, 08:34 PM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Quote:

Downpipe will instantly give you much louder starts, much louder cold-start idle, and a deeper sound throughout. That's my experience with my b58. Like the person above said, there's no point to a mid pipe or anything like that since you don't have resonators. Intake is only if you want a whirrr/whistle sound while the turbo is active. I recommend 200-300 cell DP or a catless, but catless smells bad. You're looking at around $600-$1000 for the high flow catted dp, or $300-500 for a catless.

If you're looking to impress when you start the car and idle, a DP will do that. If you're looking for something crazy loud with crackles and pops and bangs, you won't be satisfied. But it is a night and day difference after I swapped the DP.
Anything but the MPE will most likely void your warranty. Keep that in mind
      09-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
cxmplex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I don't get this. We passed a law a years ago to prevent this. Is everyone just unaware of it?

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void a warranty or deny coverage under the warranty because an aftermarket or recycled part was used. They HAVE to prove that the aftermarket downpipe caused the failure.
dmanb2b2121.50
      09-20-2021, 10:52 PM   #6
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmplex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
I don't get this. We passed a law a years ago to prevent this. Is everyone just unaware of it?

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void a warranty or deny coverage under the warranty because an aftermarket or recycled part was used. They HAVE to prove that the aftermarket downpipe caused the failure.
I was more referring to the jb4 OP mentioned, but ive seen warranties voided by down pipes too… I've also seen very mod friendly dealerships who don't care at all. While technically you are correct, if the dealership says a down pipe caused the problem or maybe they claim damage was done during the install then you have to prove it DIDN'T, which means getting a lawyer, which will cost more money than most repairs so you're boned.
      09-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
Meerdock
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Hello
And welcome to the forum - you've posted this in the F30 section (the 3 series prior to your M340) - you'll want to repost in the G20 in the section.

That said while I am here - the M340 already has a dual non resonated exhaust (twin pipes from downpipe to muffler without resonators) sooo....I would suggest a catted or cattless Downpipe running through the stock muffler - thats what I am doing and it's just about perfect

Anyhoo here's a link to section of the forum you'll want to post in

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=777
ah crap, didn't realize, i did this late at night on my phone. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 09:58 PM   #8
Honeybadger23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328i sportline

Quote:

just do a muffler delete only. leave everything else stock
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 01:42 AM   #9
Honeybadger23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger23 View Post
Quote:

just do a muffler delete only. leave everything else stock
just do a muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:34 PM   #10
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The muffler delete sounds SO bad. There are a bunch of guys in my neighborhood that have done it, and hello 1995 'ricer' Civic sounding BMW. I didn't realize that a BMW could have such a nice farting sound when doing mid throttle acceleration.

Since it's a lease, you don't want to be cutting off the muffler unless you want to risk paying for a new cat back when it comes back from lease. You can do the MPE yourself which should be fine though. It does involve cutting the midpipe before the muffler, and then just bolts on. If you are handy, it's an easy install in the driveway.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 11:50 PM   #11
Honeybadger23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
The muffler delete sounds SO bad. There are a bunch of guys in my neighborhood that have done it, and hello 1995 'ricer' Civic sounding BMW. I didn't realize that a BMW could have such a nice farting sound when doing mid throttle acceleration.

Since it's a lease, you don't want to be cutting off the muffler unless you want to risk paying for a new cat back when it comes back from lease. You can do the MPE yourself which should be fine though. It does involve cutting the midpipe before the muffler, and then just bolts on. If you are handy, it's an easy install in the driveway.
on my 2016 340i
I've done the muffler delete and I have a catless downpipe.
as long as you keep the resonators on the stock exhaust system.
it's louder but not over bearing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger23 View Post
on my 2016 340i
I've done the muffler delete and I have a catless downpipe.
as long as you keep the resonators on the stock exhaust system.
it's louder but not over bearing.
I'm not talking volume, I'm talking exhaust note. It sounds bad. EVERY vehicle that has the mufflers hacked off sounds bad. But heh, to each their own.
Appreciate 0