F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Noisy neighbours
GetBMWParts

02-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #1
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Noisy neighbours

I wonder if anyone on here has any expereince of dealing with noise from neighbours? My problem revolves around noise comoing from an industrial unit fairly close to our property. A little background...

We've lived here for approx 20 years, the industrial estate at the time of pruschase was occupied by a few tenants but it was very much a quiet place. As the years have gone by a few more business have come and gone. A few years ago a tenant took the unit closest to the residential area, the tenant runs a motor vehcle repair business and, for the most part all was peaceful. Around 2-3 years ago things changed a little, the owner took on a new member of staff who apears to be a drum and bass lover. On numerous occasions (mostly in the last year) this guy has been pulling his chavved up car either into (or close to the unit) with the roof down/doors open (weather permitting) and performing his own version of the Notting Hill Carnival.

Now, DnB isnt my thing but I dont mind a bit of loud music. The problem is that the bass is such a low frequncy it resonates through the walls of the house, its not enough to shake the fixtures and fittigs, its a very low level hum, which, try as we might is very difficult to ignore.

On top of this we have occasions, which appear to be happening more frequently where these guys are also revving up cars with the aim to deliberately get the pops and bangs going, there appears to be no diagnosis of problems going on, its just arsing around as far as I can tell.

Last Summer myself and a neighbour politley asked these guys to keep the noise down, regretably this was met with a less than favourable response. Things have been a little quieter since that incident but recently it's been ramping up again.

Recently, my partner and myself have had to ask them to switch off the engine of a car that was parked next to an adjacent wall, another thing that resonates through the house. The excuse was they needed to warm it up before it went for MOT. Both occasions were met with hostility and raised voices about 'trying to run a business' and 'shouldn't have bought a house near an industrial estate'. Again, on both occasions myself and the missus were polite and calm.

We're now at the point that neither of us want to deal with these people in person. I've tried to find out who the landlord is, but so far the land registry hasnt given me any info.

So, does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I'm assumming that there may be some sort of guidance/rules that dictate that the trade in question should actually take place in the unit itself, and also that the playing of loud music isn't actually part of the busniess being undertaken.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:03 PM   #2
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
We had noisy neighbours over our garden fence playing music so loud things were vibrating in the house with all the doors closed. Fortunately they lowered the volume when I asked politely.

Not had experience with noisy businesses though. You could try the local council, they'll have an Environmental health officer who might be able to give advice. I'd try and find out who the landlord is if you can, they won't be happy with tenants causing a nuisance.

It's good to be polite but I would also keep a record of when and how often the noise occurs.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Yep, as above.... keep a record of everything, in a diary. If you can get recordings of rhe sounds then even better...

Speak to the council, there are strict rules for businesses and so they will be at risk of "behave or leave" order if they dont comply.

Be reasonable - just because the last were quiet doesnt make the new unduly noisy. You did buy a house next to an industrial site, and that has its down sides...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:43 AM   #4
Abrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY18 435d

The last time(16 years ago) I had to deal with noise neighbours it was with the help of local council ASBO department. Give them the ring and the should explain to you what should/can be done
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:33 AM   #5
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

As above, contact environmental health officer, preferably with recordings: video/and or decibel meter app.
I've managed a few maintenance projects on business premises that have been there for 20years+ with a new estate being built in the last 1 or 2 years next door. Some of our works are noisy, albeit very short term, and I have recently had residents contact EHO, where we have then tried our very best to compromise and accommodate noisy work.

Last edited by G50; 02-24-2021 at 06:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      02-24-2021, 05:40 AM   #6
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

In Scotland, amplified music is a police matter (rather than a Local Authority EHO matter) but speak to your LA EHO in the first instance
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 12:29 AM   #7
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

Leave them a google review !
Appreciate 2
PeakyJ47.00
      02-27-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Getting noise issues fixed was always a problem in the UK. I've always found the "I can't work without music" an especially difficult bunch to deal with. You all know who I mean, that colleague who will walk into a peaceful room and declare in a loud voice," It's too quiet in here". Retards.

Believe it or not, Nevada has strict rules about it. If the cop can hear your stereo 25 yards away, you get a ticket. Bloody love that. Wish it was the same for freaking leaf blowers, especially with the landscapers who think 20 minutes walking up and down with a leaf blower at full chat counts as yard maintenance.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17485.50
      02-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #9
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Getting noise issues fixed was always a problem in the UK. I've always found the "I can't work without music" an especially difficult bunch to deal with. You all know who I mean, that colleague who will walk into a peaceful room and declare in a loud voice," It's too quiet in here". Retards.

Believe it or not, Nevada has strict rules about it. If the cop can hear your stereo 25 yards away, you get a ticket. Bloody love that. Wish it was the same for freaking leaf blowers, especially with the landscapers who think 20 minutes walking up and down with a leaf blower at full chat counts as yard maintenance.
I cant work when its too quiet and always have the tv or music on when I am working from home. I dont think I am a retard. Can I ask why you think someone who has a different approach to you is a retard or is it because you have been in the US too long...?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I cant work when its too quiet and always have the tv or music on when I am working from home. I dont think I am a retard. Can I ask why you think someone who has a different approach to you is a retard or is it because you have been in the US too long...?
If you want to play music while working in your own space where no one else can hear it, have at it. In your home or in your office with the door closed it falls under "not my monkeys, not my circus". In some kind of open plan facility, not so much.

As for "have I been in the US too long", nope, always been like it. Teachers who couldn't keep the class quiet drove me nuts as a child. Yes, I've had the stink eye from employers in both countries when they bitch about my pace of work in an open plan office. I look them in the eye, wave my hand towards cubeville and say, "Well, you set up the poor work environment. I'll bring ear defenders tomorrow." Most grimace and walk away, having a niche skill in high demand lets me get away with it.

Yes, I'm hard-assed about this. I'm fortunate enough to have my own office at the moment, but even then the hubbub outside in the general area can be disruptive when doing complex stuff, so I'll close the door. On occasion that leads to a knock and "Are we disturbing you?" The reply "Yes" is met with astonishment. I don't know why, it has to be better than "Go bullshit somewhere else".

As you might guess I have a low tolerance for folk making noise or being in my space unnecessarily. It's just one of the reasons I now live in a place larger than GB with fewer than 3.5 million people in it. In about 40 minutes I can be in places with no people, and no cell coverage. Bliss.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:31 PM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Very rare to have an office in the UK these days, even C suite people go open plan to join in with the masses. I assume your skill set is very "personal" and not about leading a team as shutting yourself away and not accepting interruptions, noise and challenge from those who report to you isnt really a great way to be a leader...

I like people. I miss them when working from home. Well when I say people I mean the sociable, pleasant, courteous types. Not Americans obvs
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #12
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Very rare to have an office in the UK these days, even C suite people go open plan to join in with the masses. I assume your skill set is very "personal" and not about leading a team as shutting yourself away and not accepting interruptions, noise and challenge from those who report to you isnt really a great way to be a leader...

I like people. I miss them when working from home. Well when I say people I mean the sociable, pleasant, courteous types. Not Americans obvs

Nobody in their right mind wants me as a boss/leader. I'm way too much of a "Lone Wolf" in the workplace. There are those with the natural skill and calling to be leaders and good luck to them, but I'm definitely not wired that way. No, I have a standalone technical job and I'm left largely to my own devices.

My coworkers are largely great people, and I'm happy to be with them socially, but they all know that when I'm working I'm best left alone. I'm not rude when interrupted for a good reason (Hey! Donuts in the front office!) but I can get prickly if I think my time is being wasted. I'll be retiring in 3-5 years, so the workplace will be free of this "grumpy old man" soon enough.

It may amuse you to learn I was considered one of the more "normal" blokes at one place I worked in the UK. Mind you, it was wall to wall mad scientists, and some of them were pretty "out there".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post

Nobody in their right mind wants me as a boss/leader. I'm way too much of a "Lone Wolf" in the workplace. There are those with the natural skill and calling to be leaders and good luck to them, but I'm definitely not wired that way. No, I have a standalone technical job and I'm left largely to my own devices.

My coworkers are largely great people, and I'm happy to be with them socially, but they all know that when I'm working I'm best left alone. I'm not rude when interrupted for a good reason (Hey! Donuts in the front office!) but I can get prickly if I think my time is being wasted. I'll be retiring in 3-5 years, so the workplace will be free of this "grumpy old man" soon enough.

It may amuse you to learn I was considered one of the more "normal" blokes at one place I worked in the UK. Mind you, it was wall to wall mad scientists, and some of them were pretty "out there".
To be fair I can also be a grumpy old man at work when someone is taking the michael, like sending an email when they are the other side of the office....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 06:16 AM   #14
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
I wonder if anyone on here has any expereince of dealing with noise from neighbours? My problem revolves around noise comoing from an industrial unit fairly close to our property. A little background...

We've lived here for approx 20 years, the industrial estate at the time of pruschase was occupied by a few tenants but it was very much a quiet place. As the years have gone by a few more business have come and gone. A few years ago a tenant took the unit closest to the residential area, the tenant runs a motor vehcle repair business and, for the most part all was peaceful. Around 2-3 years ago things changed a little, the owner took on a new member of staff who apears to be a drum and bass lover. On numerous occasions (mostly in the last year) this guy has been pulling his chavved up car either into (or close to the unit) with the roof down/doors open (weather permitting) and performing his own version of the Notting Hill Carnival.

Now, DnB isnt my thing but I dont mind a bit of loud music. The problem is that the bass is such a low frequncy it resonates through the walls of the house, its not enough to shake the fixtures and fittigs, its a very low level hum, which, try as we might is very difficult to ignore.

On top of this we have occasions, which appear to be happening more frequently where these guys are also revving up cars with the aim to deliberately get the pops and bangs going, there appears to be no diagnosis of problems going on, its just arsing around as far as I can tell.

Last Summer myself and a neighbour politley asked these guys to keep the noise down, regretably this was met with a less than favourable response. Things have been a little quieter since that incident but recently it's been ramping up again.

Recently, my partner and myself have had to ask them to switch off the engine of a car that was parked next to an adjacent wall, another thing that resonates through the house. The excuse was they needed to warm it up before it went for MOT. Both occasions were met with hostility and raised voices about 'trying to run a business' and 'shouldn't have bought a house near an industrial estate'. Again, on both occasions myself and the missus were polite and calm.

We're now at the point that neither of us want to deal with these people in person. I've tried to find out who the landlord is, but so far the land registry hasnt given me any info.

So, does anyone have any experience of this sort of thing? I'm assumming that there may be some sort of guidance/rules that dictate that the trade in question should actually take place in the unit itself, and also that the playing of loud music isn't actually part of the busniess being undertaken.

Cheers,

I have a similar problem with the low hum. It really annoys me during the night, but my wife and kids say they cant hear it.
The difference in my situation though is that the hum is coming from a cooling system at a data centre across the road from me.