F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird Noise Coming from rear of vehicle
proTUNING Freaks

02-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #1
shaolinfinest
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Weird Noise Coming from rear of vehicle

Hello,

I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction of what I should look for in regards to the issue I am dealing with. I will include photo and videos as well as a description of what I have done so far.

When I accelerate the vehicle I can hear the noise coming from the rear of the vehicle on the right side. When you allow the vehicle to coast, the sound goes away and at certain speeds when you lightly press the gas it goes away.

I took it to a BMW dealership in Miami and they told me it was the differential. He stated that it is leaking and needs to be replaced. I informed him that it was not leaking as there was no sign in my drive way of oil coming from it and that the oil he saw on the differential was from me checking the color of the oil and touching the differential with my gloves. So I do not know if I truly trust his diagnosis.

While in Charlotte two days later, I took it to Firestone to have them replace the wheels. They took a look at it and they believe it is the hub or the wheel bearing. When they manually spin the wheel, it makes a sound like a flat wheel or something flapping.

From the information I have supplied does anyone know what I should look at to find out where the noise is coming from? Thanks

When I took the wheel off today, the piece circled was disconnected and I pushed it back in. I wanted to include this information in case it matter.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5rPTrxAmVh9MVFVj8

Sound from inside car:
https://youtu.be/kepcJeirGjs

Sound from outside the car: (Suggest headphones or turning speakers up)
https://youtu.be/8NW9Y8xhQcY
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
BennettBucsFan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sportline

The fixing bow on your exhaust may be loose or have fallen off. That happened to mine and sounds kind of similar, and noise changes under acceleration.

Last edited by BennettBucsFan; 03-02-2021 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0