F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2014 328i xDrive stalling at low rpm
Extreme Powerhouse

02-24-2021, 11:46 PM   #1
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

2014 328i xDrive stalling at low rpm

It started about a week after I installed a cold air intake and changed the muffler. I would start the car, wait for it to warm up like usual but then it would just start stalling once it drops below 1000rpm for the idle. I usually idle around 600rpm, but now I dont idle at all, since whenever the car gets below 1000 it just starts running really rough then shuts off. I can add gas it keeps the car going, but no matter how long I run the car for it never idles properly. I just changed the spark plugs because someone had a similar problem for me and all they did was change the plugs, but no joy. I'm about to take it to the mechanic to see what they come up with. any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbrother View Post
It started about a week after I installed a cold air intake and changed the muffler. I would start the car, wait for it to warm up like usual but then it would just start stalling once it drops below 1000rpm for the idle. I usually idle around 600rpm, but now I dont idle at all, since whenever the car gets below 1000 it just starts running really rough then shuts off. I can add gas it keeps the car going, but no matter how long I run the car for it never idles properly. I just changed the spark plugs because someone had a similar problem for me and all they did was change the plugs, but no joy. I'm about to take it to the mechanic to see what they come up with. any ideas?
So update. I changed the spark plugs, and noticed cylinder #2's plug is completely black, so I purchased an oem coil pack to change #2. Same problem, and I smell a strong like seaweed smell. I also see some kind of liquid coming out the exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did you have a chance to retrieve stored fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:33 AM   #4
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Yes, after a bit of running the car from sport to eco, the code P0172 came up. This might be because when I first changed to the cold air intake, I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. After clearing the code, I cleaned the MAF again, but no luck. But before I had changed the coil pack, there would be a code for misfire on the second cylinder, which is also why I changed the coil pack there. Sorry should've included the misfire code in my original post, but after running the car at idle for around 5 minutes, no other code but P0172 came up. (Running rich bank 1)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 02:28 AM   #5
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbrother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Yes, after a bit of running the car from sport to eco, the code P0172 came up. This might be because when I first changed to the cold air intake, I cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. After clearing the code, I cleaned the MAF again, but no luck. But before I had changed the coil pack, there would be a code for misfire on the second cylinder, which is also why I changed the coil pack there. Sorry should've included the misfire code in my original post, but after running the car at idle for around 5 minutes, no other code but P0172 came up. (Running rich bank 1)
New update; misfire cylinder 2 and running rich codes are still appearing, I'm thinking now of taking out cylinder 2's fuel injector to take a look if it has cracked or something. Anybody had to change their n20 fuel injectors before?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I would have put the stock intake back on the car. BTW, the stock intake is a cold air intake, so there's little to nothing to be gained by replacing it. The liquid coming out of the exhaust is probably water. It's supposed to do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
lolbrother
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I would have put the stock intake back on the car. BTW, the stock intake is a cold air intake, so there's little to nothing to be gained by replacing it. The liquid coming out of the exhaust is probably water. It's supposed to do that.
Yes, the stock intake is cold air, but it limits the amount of airflow coming into the turbo.

But after taking out cylinder 2's spark plug, I saw it was covered in carbon, meaning the fuel injector on cylinder 2 is spewing. I replaced it myself, about $200 including tools, and had to re-code the value for the fuel injector into the computer. I start the car up and; it runs perfect. No more stall, no more misfire, and all the boost has returned. Turns out after all my troubleshooting it was a faulty fuel injector. Thank you everyone for the help
Appreciate 0