F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Which petrol coupe should I get!
GetBMWParts

10-19-2018, 03:49 AM   #1
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Which petrol coupe should I get!

Hi all,

New member here, and am 100% pulling the trigger on a 4 series coupe between now and xmas. My commute is down to 26 miles per day so it’s time to dump my diesel Mazda!

Now, here’s where I need some help from you gurus  I’m test driving a couple this weekend with different engines, to see what appeals. I am ruling diesel out, as superb as they are, as I want to go back to petrol.

I’m looking at either an AUC 428/430 for around 18-22k depending on the car OR, a brand new 440i because the PCP offers right now with 1.9% apr and big discounts are good. Now on the face of it there is a good 10-15k difference between the two, but it’s really just about having the GFMV at the end to pay on PCP as the 48 payments will be around the same as the overall payment for a used 428/430 (with no GFMV at the end as I’ll finance it myself).

So… what would you have? Ostensibly, the 2.0 will do everything I need – a decent turn of pace, decent on fuel, and day to day all the car I want but… six cyls is six cyls.

So – is there a big difference between N & B engines in each power band, and are the LCI cars significantly better? The spanner in the works is that the 435i actually falls into that price range as well – which could be the best of both worlds in terms of 20k for a sixer (which then raises the question, why pay 50% more for the 440i?)

A lot to consider I know, I am just looking for real world opinions on the situation. I “could” go 440i tomorrow, but I want to evaluate all that is available, mated to that ZF auto box and make the smart decision – I intend to keep the car for 3 years minimum, and things like Pro Nav are essential.

Thanks and sorry for the lengthy comment!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:11 AM   #2
lethbridge
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CP YMB

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CP  [10.00]
It really is a head or heart decision that only you can make as you know. Many will say the 430i is all you need (and they'd be right) and many will say but the 440i is such a machine and you'll always now have that itch you will want to scratch (and they'd be right)... So it all comes down to the money over the next say 5 years - if you get the 440i you'd probably keep it? if you get the 430i you may well change it sooner? - so keep that extra cost in mind if that is what you would likely do. When looking at the numbers ensure you keep in mind you should get a hefty discount on new over and above PCP deals etc. (I don't know the going rate on a 440i and if 20% is attainable), with this in mind perhaps don't completely discount the 340i as they will be giving them away soon as the next gen arrives in March... Again depends whether you end up set on the 40i engine vs the 3 vs 4 body - personally I'd take the 340i every day over the 430i... In fact I'd take the 340i every day over the 440i as I personally prefer the 4 door shape... As you would expect the latest model is better than the pre lci in many ways as is the 40i vs 35i - plenty of threads going into the differences... So there it is just go in and buy the M3 CP pre-reg sat on the forecourt - you know it makes sense...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:18 AM   #3
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

440i or 435i... simples!

435 will cost you less, but older engine not as good as some say as the B58 lump.

440 (B58) will give better performance and economy than the 435 but is it worth the extra capital cost ?

Also consider that although you will have a GFV at 48 months, you are likely to have nothing left in the car money wise to put down on the next one. A second hand 435 if you own it at 48 months will still have a value as a deposit.

Either is far more preferable in my opinion to a 4 cylinder even if it is a 428i.
Appreciate 1
goodbyalfa1056.00
      10-19-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Agree with the above, if you're dumping a Mazda for a petrol Coupe, it's a heart buy, go the whole hog if you can afford it and get the 6 cylinder. In a few years they might not be around, disappearing in 1 series already.

The facelift had some handling tweaks that got rid of the numb and disconnected feeling that was there previously (or so I've read on here and in the trade press). Facelifts were from end of March beginning of April 2017. I know because my order got changed to a facelift just after I placed my order and with a quick transit time ended up beating some pre facelift cars to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #5
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Agree with the above, if you're dumping a Mazda for a petrol Coupe, it's a heart buy, go the whole hog if you can afford it and get the 6 cylinder. In a few years they might not be around, disappearing in 1 series already.

The facelift had some handling tweaks that got rid of the numb and disconnected feeling that was there previously (or so I've read on here and in the trade press). Facelifts were from end of March beginning of April 2017. I know because my order got changed to a facelift just after I placed my order and with a quick transit time ended up beating some pre facelift cars to the dealers.
Interestingly, apparently the early 4 had many of the LCI 3 suspensions tweaks but was then (as you say) tweaked further at its LCI.

OP - take a 4/4GC, going to be current for a lot longer and looks less dated right now.

Drive a six and see what you think. Don't rule out the 435i as a cheaper option. If you like the six then it's 435i or 440i and purely budgetary.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:17 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

We are in danger of straying in to a buy outright vs PCP thread again here, there are already a few of them I would say six cylinder over 4 just for the noise and as said you wont be able to get them for much longer.

Then I would say you need to ask yourself if you are happy ploughing £20k plus into a new car to have nothing left at the end, or would you rather put the same £20k or so into a 435i and have some value left in 4 years - even if it is only £5k or a bit more.

Me? I'd buy the 435i now and see how life looked in 4 years time...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #7
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Many thanks all - you're right, a six cylinder is the answer. I suppose it's bias confirmation, i'd like to be challenged that the 428/430 is all I will need but everyone seems to say go for a 435/440.

The "need" for this car is basically... I love coupes, used to have a 1 series. I like the low, slung back driving position (i'm 6ft4), and aside from my other half and a toddler in the back, the family car takes care of requirements - hence the coupe. I won't rule out a 3 series, I know the deals on those are mega right now, but this is a hear vs head decision, so I feel like I should tick the boxes on body shape and engine properly.

So... if this comes down to a 435 vs 440, then it's another matter to decide on. I "think" I can get a solid 435i for 22k, but i've seen 440i brand new going for 35k down from 47k... not sure how much they are optioned up, but would assume a reasonable amount. Is pro nav in a 435 significantly worse/different than a 440? Are there many more tangible differences (I realise it's a totally different engine).

Thanks all. I am normally well versed on my cars but this is a sort of out of nowhere decision and the 4 has just come to me out of nowhere as "the one".
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
Here you go.
i'd never fit in one!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:03 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

430 over 428, better engine. But 440i over both!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm going to have a proper AUC hunt today, see what is out there.

Assume it's the same used benefits as usual - 1 year warranty etc? been a while since I got a BMW.

Also, is there much value in a pre-reg vs a new order, baring in mind the APR on used seems insane at 12.9% right now (I assume you could negotiate this down?)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post

Assume it's the same used benefits as usual - 1 year warranty etc? been a while since I got a BMW.

Also, is there much value in a pre-reg vs a new order, baring in mind the APR on used seems insane at 12.9% right now (I assume you could negotiate this down?)

Thanks
Depending on how long ago the car was pre-registered I'd have thought you might still be able to get it on the new car finance rate?

Larger discounts (compared to a factory order) ought to be available on both stock and pre-reg cars so it might be worth having a word with your local dealer to see what's available across the network? They'll have visibility of cars which won't be appearing on the AUC section of the website and if you're not too fussy about colour and spec you might just bag yourself a very good deal if they know you're a serious buyer and there's a physical car available which matches your requirements.

In your position a 440i is what I'd be looking for, good luck with the search!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #12
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Depending on how long ago the car was pre-registered I'd have thought you might still be able to get it on the new car finance rate?

Larger discounts (compared to a factory order) ought to be available on both stock and pre-reg cars so it might be worth having a word with your local dealer to see what's available across the network? They'll have visibility of cars which won't be appearing on the AUC section of the website and if you're not too fussy about colour and spec you might just bag yourself a very good deal if they know you're a serious buyer and there's a physical car available which matches your requirements.

Thanks, that's really interesting, i didn't know new car APR could be applied to some pre-reg's? So if the 1.9% for a 440 can be applied to one that is listed at 32k with delivery miles that would be some bargain vs a factory order which seems to be 35k after discounts but with no options ticked.

I'm going to call and get some info, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #13
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:

Thanks
You don’t necessarily have to go down the AUC route. There are plenty of cars out there under 3 years old and still under BMW warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:49 AM   #14
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Thanks, that's really interesting, i didn't know new car APR could be applied to some pre-reg's? So if the 1.9% for a 440 can be applied to one that is listed at 32k with delivery miles that would be some bargain vs a factory order which seems to be 35k after discounts but with no options ticked.

Definitely ask, I was told at Stratstone Chesterfield last year that they advertise pre reg cars at the stupid high used finance rate. But the sales guy said if you push them for it, BMW do permit the new car rate to be matched for pre reg cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #15
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

I went 4GC 440i and it's foooking great.
Slightly reduced rear head room vs 3 series, but for me you get the coupe looks but can still easily get the kids in the back. Best of both worlds!
Test drive one, hopefully for an extended period (full day if possible) and you will walk back into the dealers and order one there and then.
I'd suggest you speak with a local dealer. Let them know you are seriously interested and ask them what cars are already in stock/already built but not distributed and what the finances look like.
For reference, with the options mine listed at £51.7k, (I got 0% APR in April's impulse offer), I put in £2500 and pay £481/m, 15k miles per anum. on a 4 yrs PCP. On paper the discount was ~21% which I was happy with. Some on here have done better, some much worse. I was happy with my negotiating skills and the end result which I still look back on fondly every time I walk away and makes me smile like a beast every time I approach 7k RPM...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      10-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #16
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
Here you go.
It's French for christs sake ...... & about as successful as the VW Scirocco at replacing the original one !
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyalfa View Post
I went 4GC 440i and it's foooking great.
Slightly reduced rear head room vs 3 series, but for me you get the coupe looks but can still easily get the kids in the back. Best of both worlds!
Test drive one, hopefully for an extended period (full day if possible) and you will walk back into the dealers and order one there and then.
I'd suggest you speak with a local dealer. Let them know you are seriously interested and ask them what cars are already in stock/already built but not distributed and what the finances look like.
For reference, with the options mine listed at £51.7k, (I got 0% APR in April's impulse offer), I put in £2500 and pay £481/m, 15k miles per anum. on a 4 yrs PCP. On paper the discount was ~21% which I was happy with. Some on here have done better, some much worse. I was happy with my negotiating skills and the end result which I still look back on fondly every time I walk away and makes me smile like a beast every time I approach 7k RPM...
Brilliant, thanks for this (and thanks to everyone for the other responses).
I am going to look at the GC vs Coupe, understand the driving dynamics and boot space etc because primarily I want this to be sensible Monday-Friday and a bit wicked on the weekend

My mileage would be about 8k max, and I have 2500 in my current car to use as a deposit.

0%APR would obviously be even better than 1.9% on new, maybe there is an impulse offer coming? If I decide on new, I would happily wait until my 2 weeks holiday at xmas to go in and use the year-end as a way to push for max discount. Indeed when I got my 1er a few years back it was AUC but still got them to chop a load off so long as I signed by 31st Dec.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #18
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks for this (and thanks to everyone for the other responses).
I am going to look at the GC vs Coupe, understand the driving dynamics and boot space etc because primarily I want this to be sensible Monday-Friday and a bit wicked on the weekend

My mileage would be about 8k max, and I have 2500 in my current car to use as a deposit.

0%APR would obviously be even better than 1.9% on new, maybe there is an impulse offer coming? If I decide on new, I would happily wait until my 2 weeks holiday at xmas to go in and use the year-end as a way to push for max discount. Indeed when I got my 1er a few years back it was AUC but still got them to chop a load off so long as I signed by 31st Dec.
If you get 1.9% that will basically wipe out the deposit so your figures would end up similar to mine. I think £2.5K is about £50/month so comparable...
By the way, I really love the look of F32 coupe but I wanted to flexibility to be able to use at weekends with the kids and not have to piss around getting them in the back. Plus, you have to deal with those maoooossssive doors with the coupe... The GC does everything well IMHO.
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:14 AM   #19
FillUpAtTheBlackPump
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 520d ordered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

I've just done this on a 6 GT. Provided the pre-reg car is less than 3 months old then it still qualifies for new car finance offers.

Got 0% apr and £25k off list on mine 😊
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:21 AM   #20
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
430 over 428, better engine. But 440i over both!
This^
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:24 AM   #21
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillUpAtTheBlackPump View Post
...Provided the pre-reg car is less than 3 months old then it still qualifies for new car finance offers....
Even where it does not then apply the approach I successfully did on my AUC. Verbally agreed with salesman price, discount, loan and interest and trade-in value of my existing car. Went home and fixed a loan with my bank at interest rate 3% cheaper. Phoned salesman told him I was only doing the deal on the agreed terms, asked him to match the bank (he could not). OK, going with my finance or I walk. Collected the car a few days later.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 07:36 AM   #22
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
26 miles a day. If you don't need the space how about an M240i?
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
willjames709.00