F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers, 900 miles review 340i
Studio RSR

11-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
NimbusGarage
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Fortune Auto 500 Series Coilovers, 900 miles review 340i

I've had 3 other sets of Fortune Auto 500 Series coilovers in previous vehicles and always had a good experience with them so I decided to stay away from the common KW's and Bilsteins products and went to what I have good experience with. I added the radial bearings to this set.

Build quality - same build quality as my previous 3 sets, I like the fact that top hats are included.

Installation - There are no installation instructions available, so I had to source the internet instructions and torque specs. Thanks youtube and google! I've installed various suspension components in various vehicles so I wasn't deter but it still would've been nice to have been provided torque specs.

Install is easier compared to others because front and rear top hats are included and assembled out of the box. It saved me time not having to remove the OEM top hats to install on the coilovers BUT while installing the fronts, the mounting points didn't fully fill the mounting holes, not sure if this changes suspension geometry but I am concerned under heavy load the mounting points will move... I'm sure that's not something I want to happen.

The mounting point for the OEM strut bar also didn't align AT ALL, I have to force the strut bar mount hole into the top hate mounting point, I've contacted Fortune Auto about this but I guess they're in SEMA this week so they haven't gotten back to me yet.

User experience
The Good
- good ride quality
- no squeaks
- lots of adjustability for price
- easier install

The bad
- lack of installation instructions
- PITA rear height adjustment
- does not go low enough, although it'll do for now

The included documents states all 500 series damping is set at full soft, so I just wanted to try to a firmer setting (8 clicks), while on the fronts you turn the knob clockwise to firm and counter clockwise to soft... but while I was adjusting the rear I turn clockwise assuming that it is at full soft but turning clockwise 3 clicks it stopped, sooo I went back 3 clicks and turned counter clockwise 8 clicks. This has me worried because I'm not sure if I'm at 8 clicks to firm or 8 clicks to soft!! And again Fortune Auto was at SEMA this week so I can't get any answers yet.

Rear ride adjustment is more of a PITA compared to other brands because every time you adjust the rear spring height you also have to adjust the damper height.

Don't buy these coilovers if you want to have a slammed look. Lowest ride height in the rear will leave no gap between the tire and fender, while you can set the front ride height perches all the way down to match the rear it is not recommended by Fortune Auto as it needs at least 1" in the lower perch to maintain proper dampening. Right now i have about 2 finger gap between tire and fender, which I'm ok with for now because I'm attending HPDE events and don't want to worry about fenders. I still 1/2" lower to go in the front.

The car feels more planted, ride quality is as good as OEM but I will be messing around with the dampening setting. Going over speed bumps requires some finesse.

Conclusion - With concerns of the strut bar mount not aligning and the top hat mounts not filling the mount holes, the PITA rear height adjustment, and the lack of customer support (really, EVERYONE went to SEMA?) has me looking to get another set of coilovers that require OEM top hats for proper fitment, it'll ease my mind!

Will have updates.
Hope this helps someone.

11/15/19 Ride quality - 600 miles with dampening set to 13 clicks to hard. The ride quality is good definitely more firm than OEM but it’s easy to live with. Bumps get absorbed relatively well but big digs and humps be ready to feel it.

Last edited by NimbusGarage; 11-16-2019 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      11-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Thanks for sharing. Did you use their recommended spring rates, or spec your own?

Also, don't they provide dyno plots of their builds? If you have them, mind sharing?

Fortune Auto has their "Broadway Static" line if you want to go super low.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Thanks for sharing. Did you use their recommended spring rates, or spec your own?

Also, don't they provide dyno plots of their builds? If you have them, mind sharing?

Fortune Auto has their "Broadway Static" line if you want to go super low.
I went with the standard spring rate, 9k front 11k rear I think. I’m going to be riding with theses for a while and upgrade to Swift springs.

Now that you mentioned it, my other sets came with dyno plots but I don’t remember seeing it for this one.

Not looking to go super low... at least not yet haha
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
ktrvn
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 Comp

Any pictures of how your car is sitting?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbusGarage View Post
I went with the standard spring rate, 9k front 11k rear I think. I’m going to be riding with theses for a while and upgrade to Swift springs.

Now that you mentioned it, my other sets came with dyno plots but I don’t remember seeing it for this one.

Not looking to go super low... at least not yet haha
When you change to other springs (you should also consider Hyperco), I recommend going down in front spring rate and up in the rear if their damping curves can support it.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #6
andino
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 328i xdrive

It looks like those coils are made for the 3 bolt tops. I would check with them to see if they make a 5 bolt compatible top mount since your car is setup for the 5 bolt tops. I think the change from 3 to 5 bolt happened in late 2013 or something.
      11-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletrann View Post
sorry no photos, it just looks like a stock 340i
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
When you change to other springs (you should also consider Hyperco), I recommend going down in front spring rate and up in the rear if their damping curves can support it.
thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
It looks like those coils are made for the 3 bolt tops. I would check with them to see if they make a 5 bolt compatible top mount since your car is setup for the 5 bolt tops. I think the change from 3 to 5 bolt happened in late 2013 or something.
I've also brought this up with Fortune Auto and awaiting an answer
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #9
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Fortune Auto will be sending me another set of 5 bolt top hats, so I guess they did use the wrong top hats with my coilovers
Appreciate 1
andino479.50
      11-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Fortune Auto will be sending me another set of 5 bolt top hats, so I guess they did use the wrong top hats with my coilovers
I'm ordering a set with recommended spring rates. It's 9k ft 12k rear. Why would 8k front 14k rear be recommended? Thanks
      11-12-2019, 11:05 PM   #11
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Definitely need some photos. Or measure the fender to ground height.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #12
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
I'm ordering a set with recommended spring rates. It's 9k ft 12k rear. Why would 8k front 14k rear be recommended? Thanks
Personally I'd pick 5k front and 16k rear, or 4k front and either 14 or 13k rear.

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #13
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Personally I'd pick 5k front and 16k rear, or 4k front and either 14 or 13k rear.
Why such soft springs in the front?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #14
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
To maintain a higher rear ride frequency than front that settles the car faster. 280lbs/in is far from soft. The 16k, 159N/mm, 895lbs/in springs only equate to 310in/lbs at the rear wheels due to the motion ratio.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
To maintain a higher rear ride frequency than front that settles the car faster. 280lbs/in is far from soft. The 16k, 159N/mm, 895lbs/in springs only equate to 310in/lbs at the rear wheels due to the motion ratio.
What rates are you running?
      11-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #16
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletrann View Post

Front - I can lower 1/2” more
Rear - I can lower 1” more

Last edited by NimbusGarage; 11-15-2019 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I think you've sold me. I'll be picking up a set this winter.

These look to fall in between all the regular options and Street Comfort variants, while still being on the performant side as far as the damping profiles. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll be rolling the dice on them fitting since I am Xdrive. Since a few other brands do mount in the front without much of an issue, and the shock body is adjustable I shouldn't expect any problems.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:50 AM   #18
NimbusGarage
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post

These look to fall in between all the regular options and Street Comfort variants, while still being on the performant side as far as the damping profiles. Which is exactly what I was looking for.

I'll be rolling the dice on them fitting since I am Xdrive. Since a few other brands do mount in the front without much of an issue, and the shock body is adjustable I shouldn't expect any problems.
Make sure to specify if you have a 3 bolt or 5 bolt
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

You can call Fortune Auto about xDrive. I did that last year when I was looking for coilovers. They don't make them for xDrive, but where willing to make them if I could get measurements for the front shocks. Unfortunately I didn't get around to getting measurements at the time and didn't want to wait for anyone to develop shocks. So I went with KW v3.
But if you can wait, then you could get shocks of the appropriate length for xDrive. That way you can set the ride height where you want and you'll be within the most efficient range of the shock, so it will perform better. Also you'll have more suspension travel. This is especially import if you live in an area with any amount of bad roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #20
Captain
United_States
Rep

You went with default spring rates? Are you happy with the rates or wished you got another rate? I'm thinking 8k front 14k rear?
      11-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #21
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Quote:

You can call Fortune Auto about xDrive. I did that last year when I was looking for coilovers. They don't make them for xDrive, but where willing to make them if I could get measurements for the front shocks. Unfortunately I didn't get around to getting measurements at the time and didn't want to wait for anyone to develop shocks. So I went with KW v3.
But if you can wait, then you could get shocks of the appropriate length for xDrive. That way you can set the ride height where you want and you'll be within the most efficient range of the shock, so it will perform better. Also you'll have more suspension travel. This is especially import if you live in an area with any amount of bad roads.
Yes I remember you posting about that. Do you recall what measurements they were looking for? I don't believe I'll lose any suspension travel as they use an adjustable body like on the BCs. That'd be correct if it was a regular threaded body like the KWs
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #22
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_du View Post
Quote:

Yes I remember you posting about that. Do you recall what measurements they were looking for? I don't believe I'll lose any suspension travel as they use an adjustable body like on the BCs. That'd be correct if it was a regular threaded body like the KWs
I believe all the measurements of fitment and shock and shaft lengths. And don't forget the xDrive has the axle right under the shock body and have a shorter shock to clear them. That limits how far down the shock can go on a coilovers that adjusts from the shock body. I had BC rwd coilovers on my 335xi e90. Not sure how that relates to f30. But it did limit how low I could go and maintain good suspension travel. I eventually replaced the shocks (which were threaded from BC) with the awd shorter shocks and got a little more travel. The car absorbed bumps a little better after.
Appreciate 0