F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Dealer quoted me 10 hours to install the M Performance Brake kit
Extreme Powerhouse

03-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #67
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f31xd | f80m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
You using OEM pads? I had changed out some pads to Akebono Ceramic for low dust and went back immediately. I had zero initial bite and the system felt like there was air in it, the pads just weren't "stiff" at all.

I put in the OEM and zero issues, all feel was restored when I put the car into reverse in the driveway, that's how quickly I knew it was the pads. Doing many brake jobs in my life, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the OEM pads are (despite the dust).
I've run the original m perf pads for 10K miles of street driving and still can't stand the "cold" bite. To me, initial bite means the pedal isn't stiff at first stab regardless of operating temperature which is not my experience as when the pads are hot the pedal is great. It's the anything but hot pad temps that result in a lousy pedal feel.

So couple the lousy cold bite with the dust levels which are beyond unreasonable and i'm finally switching from the original pads to the powerstop z23 pads. I'll swap this week or next and report back findings. I went this direction as the f80/82 guys have reported favorable pedal feel and lack of dust with the z23 pads, and they are literally the same pads as the m sport/performance on f3x models.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #68
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jww///95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryClub007 View Post
You using OEM pads? I had changed out some pads to Akebono Ceramic for low dust and went back immediately. I had zero initial bite and the system felt like there was air in it, the pads just weren't "stiff" at all.

I put in the OEM and zero issues, all feel was restored when I put the car into reverse in the driveway, that's how quickly I knew it was the pads. Doing many brake jobs in my life, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the OEM pads are (despite the dust).
I've run the original m perf pads for 10K miles of street driving and still can't stand the "cold" bite. To me, initial bite means the pedal isn't stiff at first stab regardless of operating temperature which is not my experience as when hot the pads the pedal is great. It's the anything but hot pad temps that result in a lousy pedal feel.

So couple the lousy cold bite with the dust levels which are beyond unreasonable and i'm finally switching from the original pads to the powerstop z23 pads. I'll swap this week or next and report back findings. I went this direction as the f80/82 guys have reported favorable pedal feel and lack of dust with the z23 pads, and they are literally the same pads as the m sport/performance on f3x models.
Ya, that must be frustrating.

Keep us posted, I'm curious to hear your findings.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #69
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulsaraF36 View Post
I had dealer install BBK and coding for $800+tax. For some reason they couldn't fit the new backing plate correctly but when they check the part #s the olds ones were exactly the same.
That's because the backing/dust plates that come with the kit are to be used on the lower tier models such as 328i, 320i etc.. They come with smaller brakes and a smaller rear axle. If you put the front dust plates on say a 235i/335i/435i from the BBK you would be installing the exact same plate size and fit.

The rear "black" dust plate that comes in every BBK kit won't even fit an 235i/335i/435i as the axle is bigger and the plate mounting points are just simply smaller. The plate just has a larger diameter to accommodate the bigger rotors of the bbk on lower series cars than 35i etc.

35i sportline and m sport line cars already come with larger brakes and the bigger dust plates no need to change them. I indeed did not know this when I was doing it and I tried like hell to make the rear backing plate fit and it simply would not! It took me a while to realize and understand the mounting diameter on the dust plates the "black" ones mounting point is smaller than my rear axle from my 335i.

Hope this all makes sense it can get confusing.

And for the record for me I took about 4.5-5 hours to the entire BBK and that's using jacks, bleeding and VO coding. The 10 hour labor from a dealer is insane. It does make sense if they have to pull rear hubs.

Good Luck
Vulpe279.50
      03-31-2017, 04:04 PM   #70
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3.5 is just hardware install. You still have to code which would be extra effort.
OMG to VO code the HO-wort for SPBR literally takes 7-8 minutes. If they are charging you hours for this you need to back hand them!
      03-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #71
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_evink View Post
What coding is required for the M performance brakes?
You have to VO code SPBR under HO-wort write it to the vehicle and then code it to the DSC module itself. Once you activate FA it should populate under HO-wort it will also confirm it in vehicle profile that you have sport brakes. Refer to the photos attached.

If you don't there will be brake pedal softness and clamping force will be different on the calipers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 03-31-2017 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #72
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Quote:
3.5 is just hardware install. You still have to code which would be extra effort.
OMG to VO code the HO-wort for SPBR literally takes 7-8 minutes. If they are charging you hours for this you need to back hand them!
By the book it's still "extra effort"
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:00 PM   #73
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Heads up I'm willing to put money that all "soft pedal" issues are the crap m performance pads.

I'm so far loving life one week in on the powerstop z23 pads. Cold bite is exactly what one would expect on these cars with these brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #74
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you have the means to code and sitting In your passenger seat while pushing a few buttons, well I hardly call that extra effort. But if you're referring to the "stealerships" that make a huge issue of how complex and serious this "coding" stuff is Well yes to them lifting the pen to hand it to you to sign the work approval is extra effort to them.

Quote:
Heads up I'm willing to put money that all "soft pedal" issues are the crap m performance pads.

I'm so far loving life one week in on the powerstop z23 pads. Cold bite is exactly what one would expect on these cars with these brakes.
I think you're right as well...
There was some posts a while back discussing this very thing. The original BBK for USA market had different pads (less dust) than those of regular M sport cars (more dust).

When the complaints poured in BMW decided forget the brake dust complaints and changed all brake kits to the grippy dusty ones because they as a lot more bite. That combined with the coding all was cured.
      03-31-2017, 08:23 PM   #75
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Agreed. In general this thread has focused on people who are paying dealers for the work so for the masses I would expect to pay a few bucks for the coding on top of the install.

Having said that, I installed myself and coded myself so I'm in your camp of 'be creative' folks!

And I'm not sure the history of the m perf pads but on the kit I purchased ~dec 2015 the cold bite is non existent and the amount of dust produced is worse than a f1 car on the Montreal circuit. So glad they are now in the garbage!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:59 AM   #76
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
You have to VO code SPBR under HO-wort write it to the vehicle and then code it to the DSC module itself. Once you activate FA it should populate under HO-wort it will also confirm it in vehicle profile that you have sport brakes. Refer to the photos attached.

If you don't there will be brake pedal softness and clamping force will be different on the calipers.
You have any recommendations on coding for Brembo GT 6 Piston Brakes?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #77
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Quote:

You have any recommendations on coding for Brembo GT 6 Piston Brakes?

Thanks
I'm really not sure as it's aftermarket components. I would try and dig up info to see how an M3/4 is coded since they have 6/4 piston carbon ceramic setup similar to what you run.
      04-02-2017, 07:52 PM   #78
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed. In general this thread has focused on people who are paying dealers for the work so for the masses I would expect to pay a few bucks for the coding on top of the install.

Having said that, I installed myself and coded myself so I'm in your camp of 'be creative' folks!

And I'm not sure the history of the m perf pads but on the kit I purchased ~dec 2015 the cold bite is non existent and the amount of dust produced is worse than a f1 car on the Montreal circuit. So glad they are now in the garbage!
Oh gosh do I agree on the dust issue! I like the bite of the pads but I'm looking into these pads that m3/4 guys are using called z23 power stop. They claim good results with virtually no dust.

As for coding I agree get creative. Coding usually goes for $100 bucks for a full session. I don't know what dealers inclusive prices are for the coding part, I'm sure it's an hourly rate.

I need to see where I can buy these power stop pads...
      04-02-2017, 08:23 PM   #79
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh gosh do I agree on the dust issue! I like the bite of the pads but I'm looking into these pads that m3/4 guys are using called z23 power stop. They claim good results with virtually no dust.

As for coding I agree get creative. Coding usually goes for $100 bucks for a full session. I don't know what dealers inclusive prices are for the coding part, I'm sure it's an hourly rate.

Check amazon... under $100 for the front and rear sets in total of the z23. Great pads at least based on my first week of use. I too went off the f8x recommendations for the pads and am very very happy.
Appreciate 1
Jadar1752.50
      04-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #80
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Check amazon... under $100 for the front and rear sets in total of the z23. Great pads at least based on my first week of use. I too went off the f8x recommendations for the pads and am very very happy.
EDIT: Found em on Amazon. Gotta put in vehicle profile as 2014 instead of 13 and they come up. Took the last pair under $90 bucks. Can't wait to try these and not have to deal with the damn dust .

Thanks for the helpful tips.
      04-03-2017, 08:41 PM   #81
jww///95
Lieutenant
Rep

Happy to help -- let's compare notes after you install. I think I'm going to get another set for the f80.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #82
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
If you don't you get a mushy pedal.
Piston size is different. ABS rates are different.
Quote:

Where can one find the EXACT lines to change in the code?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #83
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

EDIT: Found em on Amazon. Gotta put in vehicle profile as 2014 instead of 13 and they come up. Took the last pair under $90 bucks. Can't wait to try these and not have to deal with the damn dust .

So just for clarity, when shopping for pads for the M Performance BBK I should enter that I own an M3 so it lists those size pads when you look online?
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 09:06 PM   #84
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Bueller?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #85
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So just for clarity, when shopping for pads for the M Performance BBK I should enter that I own an M3 so it lists those size pads when you look online?
Not really since all the pads are interchangeable. Just type in you have a 2014 or newer and you'll be ok.
      04-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #86
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If you have the means to code and sitting In your passenger seat while pushing a few buttons, well I hardly call that extra effort. But if you're referring to the "stealerships" that make a huge issue of how complex and serious this "coding" stuff is Well yes to them lifting the pen to hand it to you to sign the work approval is extra effort to them.

Quote:

I think you're right as well...
There was some posts a while back discussing this very thing. The original BBK for USA market had different pads (less dust) than those of regular M sport cars (more dust).

When the complaints poured in BMW decided forget the brake dust complaints and changed all brake kits to the grippy dusty ones because they as a lot more bite. That combined with the coding all was cured.
IIRC the M-Sport Line and M-Performance used the same pads. The M-Sport Brakes received the dustier euro-pads.

I suspect some problems are due to air in the lines because the tech isn't bleeding both sides of the caliper and/or giving the caliper a little tap to get all of the air out.

I have M-Sport Line brakes and the initial bite is a tad little soft, but it's definitely easier for me to be smooth with the braking.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #87
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
If you don't you get a mushy pedal.
Piston size is different. ABS rates are different.
Quote:

You have to go under FA editor after you read out FA AND SVT in FDL coding section.

In FA editor find the HO-wort folder and add SPBR. Then you should see SPBR_18_zoll_sportbrake populate under vehicle profile. Write that to vehicle.

Go back to expert mode READ FA and make sure that SPBR is in HO_wort.
      04-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #88
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
IIRC the M-Sport Line and M-Performance used the same pads. The M-Sport Brakes received the dustier euro-pads.

I suspect some problems are due to air in the lines because the tech isn't bleeding both sides of the caliper and/or giving the caliper a little tap to get all of the air out.

I have M-Sport Line brakes and the initial bite is a tad little soft, but it's definitely easier for me to be smooth with the braking.
The early version of BBK M performance pads were different and discontinued. They actually had a mushy feel and less brake dust. Check photo for reference.
There has been a lot of info and confusion about these BBK kits and what they came with and sizes etc...

The USA market was not to receive the better pads that provided the large amounts of brake dust. But later through numerous complaints about "mushy" BBK feel even after VO coding BMW made moves and decided the same pads go across the board and us Americans will stop crying about brake dust and get a better feeling brake.

I entered the part number once on real oem and it lists them as a cross reference and states discontinued. Bmw later added the same pads even in the USA across the line to the famous dusty pads.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 04-15-2017 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0