F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > ST Suspensions XA
Extreme Powerhouse

02-28-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
propwash5
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Roadster

ST Suspensions XA

I wanted to share my review of the ST XA kit on my 2013 328i M-Sport. I also installed the F80 lower control arms, VAC monoball upper control arms and rear subframe inserts at the same time.

Initially I found the ride height way too low even on the highest setting. The rears are the limiting factor on height adjustment - just like with the other KW products for our cars. KW sells spacers for the rear that solves the issue. They should be included in the kit.

Now with the ride height sorted, I find the body control is excellent. And the steering is much sharper. The front end in particular responds to mid corner adjustments instead of just washing out. There is much more front end grip now too. I think the grip is due to the 1.9 deg negative camber I was able to get up front. BMW was conservative in tuning the handling balance from the factory.

There is definitely a trade off in NVH over the stock sport suspension. I’d say the NVH is now on par with BMWs newer competition package cars. Non-enthusiasts would probably not put up with the ride. At least on northeast roads. Not sure if that’s a result of the bushings or or coilovers.

Overall these coilovers offer a great value and take the car from a competent but boring handler to something responsive and entertaining. A proper LSD would complete the package but I can’t justify the investment.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

Nice review. Curious, why would you pick F80 lower control arm instead of the VAC? Cost issue? I belie the F80 is cheaper? Or you want to achieve negative camber since the F80 lower control arm is longer than stock F30?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
propwash5
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerus_car View Post
Nice review. Curious, why would you pick F80 lower control arm instead of the VAC? Cost issue? I belie the F80 is cheaper? Or you want to achieve negative camber since the F80 lower control arm is longer than stock F30?
I wanted the extra negative camber. Trying to avoid running camber plates. But as a result I now have 8 degrees of caster. Not sure how that plays into the mix.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0