F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > M suspension vs adaptive
Studio RSR

05-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
True, you can't get the M Perf pkg from the factory if you order the M Adaptive.

However, I don't know which market you are referring to, but you can get the
M Perf suspension put on a Sport line and on an Msport as long as the
Msport does not have the M adaptive suspension.

The Msport does not come with the M adaptive dampers, that is a separate option that come in the DH/dynamic handling pkg. that includes VSS, that's in the US market. I don't think the M adaptive comes on the Msport in any market as it's an options item.
Go add the DHP on the MSport and all it does it remove M Sport Suspension (pops up the yes continue or no don't add screen). Look at the attachment... that's what it shows online. Not saying it's completely accurate, but that's just what is listed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCperformance View Post
This is great info... thanks for sharing! I have been contemplating options for a new F30 purchase, and I have found not one BMW person who can actually explain the differences between stock suspension, M Sport Suspension, and M Adaptive Suspension...

Regarding the M Adaptive suspension... I'm still a little fuzzy on how it fits into the line-up on the different cars. Is the M Adaptive suspension technology just an add-on that interacts with whatever dampers are on the car? Or is it a complete kit with special dampers/springs, etc. on whatever vehicle it comes equipped on?

For example, on a RWD M Sport F30, you get the M Sport suspension, and you can opt for the M Adaptive suspension as well. On an xDrive M Sport F30, the M Sport suspension is not included - but you can still opt for the M Adaptive suspension. Would these two cars be running on the same dampers? (Maybe just the springs are different, which would account for the ride height difference...?) Or are the dampers themselves different on RWD vs xDrive applications of the M Adaptive Suspension as well?

Basically, I would prefer to go with an xDrive F30, but I don't want to sacrifice much (if any) in terms of handing capabilities. I would be willing to do a little work aftermarket (stiffer springs, stiffer ARBs) as long as it's not too expensive, but I'd rather avoid spending thousands on a whole new suspension.
M adaptive is now part of a DH/dynamic handling pkg that consists of the
M adaptive suspension and VSS.
You can get the M adaptive system put on any line.

The lines Base, Modern, and Luxury come standard with the base passive suspension. It is the softest setup and has the tallest ride height.
How the suspension works does not change with different driving modes.

If you get an X drive with any of those lines, and also get the M adaptive option, then you will not get the lower and heavier rate springs. X drive only gets the adaptive dampers for the suspension.
I'm not positive, but I think X drive also gets the thicker anti-roll bars.

Sport and Msport come stock with the "sport" suspension. It too is passive and thus does not change it's operation in relation to the different driver modes.
The sport suspension is lower by 10mm compared to the base suspension.
It has heavier rate springs and dampers to match, along with thicker
anti-roll/anti-sway bars.

You can get the M adaptive suspension for those lines as well.

Sport line and Msport line have pretty much the same suspension.
Some have said that Msport comes with thicker anti-roll bars, but some say it doesn't.
This needs to be verified.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Go add the DHP on the MSport and all it does it remove M Sport Suspension (pops up the yes continue or no don't add screen). Look at the attachment... that's what it shows online. Not saying it's completely accurate, but that's just what is listed.
I'll try and clear up what I'm referring to.

Yes, if you add the DH pkg, then the "sport" and "M sport" suspension will get removed.
Sport and Msport are basically the same passive suspension.
So when you add DH pkg you will then get the "M adaptive" suspension.

The M adaptive is an option it doesn't come standard with Sport or Msport.

If you are talking about the M Performance suspension, then you can not add that to an F30 that has the
M adaptive option.
So the M adaptive is an option, and the M Performance is also an option.
M Performance is added at port not at the factory.
M adaptive is added at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Are you saying M Adaptive is pretty much the same as the M Sport passive suspension when set in Sport/Sport+ modes? And, M Adaptive is softer than Passive in Comfort/Eco Pro?
I wouldn't say that M adaptive is "softer" than passive in Eco/Comfort.
The adaptive suspension has the ability to soften to the level of the base passive suspension.
But the M adaptive has greater control of the springs within the drive modes, and that's the benefit it offers, greater control of the suspension in general.

In my experience M adaptive doesn't feel any firmer in sport mode compared to the passive sport suspension.
Again, it does have greater control and is thus technically "better" over all.

Some say that M adaptive in sport mode feels firmer. Perhaps they are noting the difference in damping ability of the adaptive dampers.
I don't know. Hopefully they can post and explain what they are experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #27
Steve33
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 SQ5

Quote:
Sport line and Msport line have pretty much the same suspension.
Some have said that Msport comes with thicker anti-roll bars, but some say it doesn't.
This needs to be verified.
31356792118 - Without M-Sport
31356792119 - With M-Sport

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...31&fg=10&hl=16

25mm/21.2mm vs 25mm/22.2mm

Not sure how to interpret those measurements, but that's what I found
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #28
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Just so I am clear - Can the M Performance Suspension Kit be installed on an F30 M Sport with Adaptive M Suspension?

If yes, what are the Advantages and Disadvantages of installing the Kit on an F30 M Sport that has the Adaptive M Suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
emtrey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 M235IX, 06 Carrera S, 335i

don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #30
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejholt View Post
Just so I am clear - Can the M Performance Suspension Kit be installed on an F30 M Sport with Adaptive M Suspension?

If yes, what are the Advantages and Disadvantages of installing the Kit on an F30 M Sport that has the Adaptive M Suspension?
you can install it on your adaptive, but the whole point of adaptive is the adjust-ability of the dampers- which you won't be able to do anymore after installing the M performance kit. The shocks/ dampers on the m-performance kit are NON adjustable.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
ejholt
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: SRT Viper / M3 / X6M / Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
you can install it on your adaptive, but the whole point of adaptive is the adjust-ability of the dampers- which you won't be able to do anymore after installing the M performance kit. The shocks/ dampers on the m-performance kit are NON adjustable.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #32
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
You can get the M adaptive system put on any line.
The lines Base, Modern, and Luxury come standard with the base passive suspension. It is the softest setup and has the tallest ride height.
How the suspension works does not change with different driving modes.
The sport suspension is lower by 10mm compared to the base suspension.
It has heavier rate springs and dampers to match, along with thicker
anti-roll/anti-sway bars.
This raises an interesting question...
I verified that the part numbers of the M Adaptive suspension components are different on xDrive and RWD cars - including springs, dampers, and ARBs.
But is the M Adaptive suspension the same on any RWD 3 series? M Sport/Sport line cars with passive suspension are 10mm lower than the Base/Modern/Luxury line cars. Presumably, the ride height is the same (that is, lowered 10mm) on M Sport/Sport with M Adaptive. But what about a Base/Modern/Sport line car with M Adaptive? I wonder if the M Adaptive suspension would lower the ride height of these cars by 10mm as well...?
      05-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #33
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

I have DHP, and the car is fairly soft in eco/comfort mode. And then stiffens up nicely in Sport/Sport+. Does anyone have experience with how this compares to the base sport/comfort passive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Quote:
This raises an interesting question...
I verified that the part numbers of the M Adaptive suspension components are different on xDrive and RWD cars - including springs, dampers, and ARBs.
But is the M Adaptive suspension the same on any RWD 3 series? M Sport/Sport line cars with passive suspension are 10mm lower than the Base/Modern/Luxury line cars. Presumably, the ride height is the same (that is, lowered 10mm) on M Sport/Sport with M Adaptive. But what about a Base/Modern/Sport line car with M Adaptive? I wonder if the M Adaptive suspension would lower the ride height of these cars by 10mm as well...?
well if we think of it as whole.I supposed it will be the same as any f30 with adaptive m apart from xdrive since its the same car with the same suspension.Because they wont be just putting in electronics control on what ever suspension it is on the car..they will be changing the whole suspension.I hope you get my point
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #35
J-boogey
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi Msport

Quote:
For reference, M adaptive is not any lower than the stock Msport suspension, so you won't get a lower ride height.
I don't think it would be worth the cost to retrofit the adaptive dampers.
You'd be better off getting the BMW M Performance suspension.

If you want a lower ride height, then look into either an aftermarket set of springs, or perhaps the M Performance springs.
The M Performance springs are lower and firmer rate as most aftermarket springs are.
The full M Performance suspension kit comes with different dampers and a lower and firmer set of springs.
Some owners with the M adaptive system have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with positive results.
And also owners with the sport suspension have gone with aftermarket lower and firmer springs with good results.

The sport and M adaptive suspensions are very similar in that they use the same ride height springs, and the spring rates are very likely to be the same or near same.
When setting the M adaptive to full sport mode it doesn't feel any firmer than the sport suspensions static tuning. The difference is that the M adaptive can "adapt" the internal damping circuit using electronically controlled valves, so that there is better damping control over different surfaces and bumps.
I have M adaptive on my Msport and comparing it to the standard sport suspension I don't feel too much difference, but that's because I haven't had extensive comparison time on a variety of surfaces.
The adaptive dampers offer the ability to improve damping, and the greater difference is that one can set the adaptive suspension to 'comfort' mode, which results in a noticeably smoother ride on rougher surfaces and highway cruising. But, the trade off is that there is more body roll and leaning in harder turns.
BMW missed the boat on this one. The M adaptive suspension offers not much, if any, better "sport" performance over the stock sport suspension.
It would be a much better value if the M adaptive was between the stock sport and M Performance suspensions. The springs should be at least
20%-25% firmer over the sport set up.
I have the M adaptive as well, not impressed either, a lot of body roll in turns. I need springs and I think I'll be good. Noting out for xdrive yet.
2013 F30 335i xdrive | Estoril Blue | Black Dakota Leather | Aluminum Hexagon trim | M-Sport | Cold weather | DHP | Premium package | Tech package | Harmon Kardon | PDC | Rearview Cam | IND Painted reflectors | BMW performance grills | JB4 stage 2 | ER downpipe | BMS Intake | H&R sport springs
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #36
legaleye3000
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i; 2015 X3

Does sport have less body roll than base? Does dhp have less body roll than sport? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #37
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjy2000 View Post
well if we think of it as whole.I supposed it will be the same as any f30 with adaptive m apart from xdrive since its the same car with the same suspension.Because they wont be just putting in electronics control on what ever suspension it is on the car..they will be changing the whole suspension.I hope you get my point
That would be my guess as well - why have different EDC suspension parts for various 3 series cars if you don't have to? However, they do have completely different springs/dampers/ARBs for the xDrive cars (much softer and higher)...
But if the Sport/M Sport lines get passive suspension that lowers the car another 10mm, would it make sense that opting for the M Adaptive Sport suspension would raise it back up 10mm? Or does the M Adaptive fitted to the Base/Luxury/Modern lines lower those cars by 10mm as well? (This would make more sense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
Does sport have less body roll than base? Does dhp have less body roll than sport? Thanks.
In RWD cars, yes - the sport suspension lowers the car and adds stiffer suspension parts, which reduces body roll.
In xDrive, there is no difference in ride height, or suspension stiffness. (And the xDrives are already higher/softer than the RWDs)
M Adaptive Suspension doesn't change the ride height as far as I know in either RWD or xDrive, but it does clean up some of the body roll - especially over the passive non-sport suspensions.

Last edited by DVC; 05-16-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #38
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
That would be my guess as well - why have different EDC suspension parts for various 3 series cars if you don't have to? However, they do have completely different springs/dampers/ARBs for the xDrive cars (much softer and higher)...
But if the Sport/M Sport lines get passive suspension that lowers the car another 10mm, would it make sense that opting for the M Adaptive Sport suspension would raise it back up 10mm? Or does the M Adaptive fitted to the Base/Luxury/Modern lines lower those cars by 10mm as well? (This would make more sense)

In RWD cars, yes - the sport suspension lowers the car and adds stiffer suspension parts, which reduces body roll.
In xDrive, there is no difference in ride height, or suspension stiffness. (And the xDrives are already higher/softer than the RWDs)
M Adaptive Suspension doesn't change the ride height as far as I know in either RWD or xDrive, but it does clean up some of the body roll - especially over the passive non-sport suspensions.
Ride height is lowered with DHP on the M-Sport as it is with the Passive Suspension.
      05-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #39
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
Ride height is lowered with DHP on the M-Sport as it is with the Passive Suspension.
OK, that makes sense. Do you know if the ride height with DHP is lowered on Luxry/Modern/Base lines as well? (I would assume that it would be) If so, then there is basically an option for the same sport suspension on all the RWD model lines.
      06-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #40
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

bringin this thread back to life

interested in continuing what RPM90 was getting to ... is it possible to match springs from the M perf susp onto the M adaptive susp? now that we know the M perf suspension kit is actually sold w the springs separately maybe theres an opportunity there to take advantage of the adaptive suspension and use the M perf springs to lower it and stiffen a bit

????
      06-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #41
smv
Private
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25D Xdrive

RPM is right in what he says. Currently considering an F30 335i Sport LIne with M Adaptive sups as an option (yes possible here in the sand lands) and debating wether to opt for this or go the Performance suspension route. In my case, M Adaptive comes with variable steering, a very sweet option I used to have in my old E90 335i and used to it. On the negatives, adaptive suspension is very expensive to replace shocks if needed. in my MK6 GTI that had it, and could experience all the benefits RPM sates, the price of the shocks is double than non-adaptive. On the other hand, Performance suspension is the sweetest thing I experienced so far in my driving experience with any car. However beware of hidden expenses in the near term. In my E90, I had to replace engine mounts (!) in just 20K KMS, as they were stressed quickly due to a firmer chassis overall and you have to be very carefull with your tyre wear. Once off, you will have no pre-alert! And that is, I am driving very normal, exceptionally enthusiastic... No tracking, no racing, just faster than average. Lastly, I would not consider mixing Performance springs with M adaptive shocks. The spring / damping equations + ESD/DSP etc.. are quite complicated and a whole dept in BMW I am sure have spent many hours into this. This is maybe why adding one option, automatically negates another one... i wouldnt wnat to go find out what BMW engineers have already concluded.. My 2 cents..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #42
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

How do yo control the settings of the adaptive suspension, on the Idrive or is there a button to select modes?

Kevin
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #43
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevRyd View Post
How do yo control the settings of the adaptive suspension, on the Idrive or is there a button to select modes?

Kevin
It's the same Sport/Eco button by the gear lever. It's tied in to the transmission modes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #44
KevRyd
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Xdrive MSport EBII

I thought it could be controlled manually? What is the extra button between the PDC and the Drive mode selector?

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
It's the same Sport/Eco button by the gear lever. It's tied in to the transmission modes.
Appreciate 0