F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 for N20 questions
GetBMWParts

03-26-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
kenand1988
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Bootmod3 for N20 questions

I'm definitely considering this for my 328i N20. I have a jb4 but there are some dislikes about it for sure. I want to know a few things about bootmod3.

1. Unlike jb4 will bootmod3 boost over stock psi below 50% throttle so that the power will be a gradual ramp up instead a big dump of power all at once?

2. Can it be used to auto delete codes, specifically o2 sensor codes, since i have a catless DP?

3. Are the OTS maps a purchase or free with the license? I've read you get them free and ive read you pay $50 for all the OTS maps.

4. I currently have a catless DP, no resonator and magnaflow muffler. Sounds pretty good, very little drone. Theres no exhaust flap to speak of in the system that I can imagine unless its in the header pipes, so can I do a burble tune? If so is that an extra option to pay for or is it an option in the flash that I can just select. If burble is related to fuel map, timing, etc. then even with my exhaust setup it should be possible right? But if it is all about exhaust flaps then i feel like im lost.

Any input with people who have a 328i or 320i bm3 flash is appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenand1988 View Post
I'm definitely considering this for my 328i N20. I have a jb4 but there are some dislikes about it for sure. I want to know a few things about bootmod3.

1. Unlike jb4 will bootmod3 boost over stock psi below 50% throttle so that the power will be a gradual ramp up instead a big dump of power all at once?

2. Can it be used to auto delete codes, specifically o2 sensor codes, since i have a catless DP?

3. Are the OTS maps a purchase or free with the license? I've read you get them free and ive read you pay $50 for all the OTS maps.

4. I currently have a catless DP, no resonator and magnaflow muffler. Sounds pretty good, very little drone. Theres no exhaust flap to speak of in the system that I can imagine unless its in the header pipes, so can I do a burble tune? If so is that an extra option to pay for or is it an option in the flash that I can just select. If burble is related to fuel map, timing, etc. then even with my exhaust setup it should be possible right? But if it is all about exhaust flaps then i feel like im lost.

Any input with people who have a 328i or 320i bm3 flash is appreciated.
1) Well, the thing with our platform is that our torque is almost instant. We hit our max torque at 1250RPM. So when you go WOT, you're always going to have an instant dump. As for just driving, flashing does make it a lot smoother as you can specify a lot more within the tables than you can via the piggyback.

2) Yes, it will clear catless codes. Been running catless for 5 months on BM3, no issues. Won't even pop up as a code when you scan the car.

3) You get one map free when you buy the license. You choose which is best for you. If you want more later, then you pay $50 for all. To be honest, unless you get the tune at a stage 1 phase, you'll be fine and likely not need anymore. You get the stage 2 tune to fit your fuel profile and viola. You may go with a custom in the future, but pricing is up to the tuner.

4) Your setup is perfect. Burble tune isn't about the flap. In fact, flaps and stock mufflers are what kill it. Aftermarket mufflers don't. Burbles come standard in the OTS tunes and even have an aggressive one. If you want an idea of the moderate burble, click this: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=AWE

Keep in mind that's an older video and the aggressive tune is much louder with louder cracks/pops.

While you could run a stage 2 flash, I recommend getting a FMIC installed with this tune. Once you do, you'll notice a huge difference with both installed.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
kenand1988
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
1) Well, the thing with our platform is that our torque is almost instant. We hit our max torque at 1250RPM. So when you go WOT, you're always going to have an instant dump. As for just driving, flashing does make it a lot smoother as you can specify a lot more within the tables than you can via the piggyback.

2) Yes, it will clear catless codes. Been running catless for 5 months on BM3, no issues. Won't even pop up as a code when you scan the car.

3) You get one map free when you buy the license. You choose which is best for you. If you want more later, then you pay $50 for all. To be honest, unless you get the tune at a stage 1 phase, you'll be fine and likely not need anymore. You get the stage 2 tune to fit your fuel profile and viola. You may go with a custom in the future, but pricing is up to the tuner.

4) Your setup is perfect. Burble tune isn't about the flap. In fact, flaps and stock mufflers are what kill it. Aftermarket mufflers don't. Burbles come standard in the OTS tunes and even have an aggressive one. If you want an idea of the moderate burble, click this: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=AWE

Keep in mind that's an older video and the aggressive tune is much louder with louder cracks/pops.

While you could run a stage 2 flash, I recommend getting a FMIC installed with this tune. Once you do, you'll notice a huge difference with both installed.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks for answering. Since JB4 isn't essentially working until 50% throttle whereas bm3 is working all the time, do you think it feels like you have more power below 50% throttle?

I have a FMIC already so this would be about the last performance mod i'll do. Now that it is cheaper and can be done from home I think its time. about how long does the initial install take? 1 hour? less?

Can you give me an idea on how much custom tunes run?

Also that link did not work, is it on YouTube?

Last edited by kenand1988; 03-26-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #4
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for answering. Since JB4 isn't essentially working until 50% throttle whereas bm3 is working all the time, do you think it feels like you have more power below 50% throttle?

I have a FMIC already so this would be about the last performance mod i'll do. Now that it is cheaper and can be done from home I think its time. about how long does the initial install take? 1 hour? less?

Can you give me an idea on how much custom tunes run?

Also that link did not work, is it on YouTube?
Whoops! Here is a working link: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=AWE

You will get more power under 50% and it's much, much smoother. I had mine done before the OBDII unlock, but I do believe the process takes less than 10 minutes on the initial install. Maybe 5? As for the custom tunes, that depends on the tuner. $200-$300 is the typical cost. The Stage 2 OTS maps should hold you over unless you decide to go with a bigger turbo or E85 mixes.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
kenand1988
Private
Rep

Quote:
Whoops! Here is a working link: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&highlight=AWE

You will get more power under 50% and it's much, much smoother. I had mine done before the OBDII unlock, but I do believe the process takes less than 10 minutes on the initial install. Maybe 5? As for the custom tunes, that depends on the tuner. $200-$300 is the typical cost. The Stage 2 OTS maps should hold you over unless you decide to go with a bigger turbo or E85 mixes.

Do you get much pops or backfires with the moderate or aggressive burbles? I hear the gurgling but I'm talking about like LOUD popping almost like firecrackers.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you get much pops or backfires with the moderate or aggressive burbles? I hear the gurgling but I'm talking about like LOUD popping almost like firecrackers.
Yes, the aggressive maps are quite loud and there are a few posts on IG and what not. As soon as they finish updating the map, I'll flash it on and make a video for you. I think they'll be done this week.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Black F32 435i

If you can shell out the bit extra, BPM Sport is an amazing option. Mike has been tuning cars for ages and I couldn't be happier with the product. Custom map and everything. My friend who had BM3 OTS maps on his M4 went BPM as well!
      03-27-2018, 01:50 AM   #8
kenand1988
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakep8 View Post
If you can shell out the bit extra, BPM Sport is an amazing option. Mike has been tuning cars for ages and I couldn't be happier with the product. Custom map and everything. My friend who had BM3 OTS maps on his M4 went BPM as well!
What is bpm? Is it a custom tune? What are the advantages?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Is this over BM3 or his own flash?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is this over BM3 or his own flash?
His own flash. I don't think he's the biggest fan of BM3 so if you were to buy a map I think you'd have to pay for him to remove the BM3 and go his own route.
      03-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
His own flash. I don't think he's the biggest fan of BM3 so if you were to buy a map I think you'd have to pay for him to remove the BM3 and go his own route.
Ah, yeah, not worth it for me, haha. Already shelled out for BM3 and it's only getting better. Plus, wouldn't want to be limited to one tuner. Could be good for those without BM3.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #12
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, yeah, not worth it for me, haha. Already shelled out for BM3 and it's only getting better. Plus, wouldn't want to be limited to one tuner. Could be good for those without BM3.
I'd recommend BPM if you are not flashed yet and want a custom tune... also mike has tuned insane amounts of N26s and his tunes have been reliably running for a while as well. For my situation he was the best bet.
      03-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'd recommend BPM if you are not flashed yet and want a custom tune... also mike has tuned insane amounts of N26s and his tunes have been reliably running for a while as well. For my situation he was the best bet.
Does he do tuning in person or can it be done remotely?

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 09:51 AM   #14
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What is bpm? Is it a custom tune? What are the advantages?
BPM Sport tuned my car. He unlocks the DME and then flashes with a custom tune with all the options you'd like. You can either go to him, which is in West LA and save $200 on buying their adapter for flashing, or just order the OBD2 Cable, their map and flash software and it's all self explanatory to flash. I personally went in to see him because I also had my spark plugs changed to one step cooler of a plug. PM me of you have any questions.
      03-27-2018, 09:52 AM   #15
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Does he do tuning in person or can it be done remotely?
Both I think, but meeting up in person is ideal.
      03-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #16
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Yeah but BM3 is far superior, you have tons of tuners to choose from BPM is a single tuner. Extremely limited
      03-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #17
kenand1988
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering why you're saying I wouldn't be the biggest fan?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #18
1SLO4G
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDRIVE

Yeap, I have been waiting for a reflash software like this before modding my car. I got it yesterday and I'm very very happy. I had a little bit of trouble with connection but I figured it out after a few hours of trouble shooting. I'll be making a review and maybe how-to as well.

BM3 thank you so much!

Last edited by 1SLO4G; 03-27-2018 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
BunkerJ1032.00
      03-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #19
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Just wondering why you're saying I wouldn't be the biggest fan?
No, he's saying his tuner isn't the biggest fan of BM3.

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #20
kenand1988
Private
Rep

Quote:
No, he's saying his tuner isn't the biggest fan of BM3.
Oh lol I was like well he could be right but I don't really know if I like it yet. Is there any window of opportunity to return the license if you're not satisfied?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 11:31 AM   #21
blakep8
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssaF32 View Post
Yeah but BM3 is far superior, you have tons of tuners to choose from BPM is a single tuner. Extremely limited
I don't care about having a bunch of options when I have one tuner who is reputable and ultimately has tuned a bunch of N26 motors. I've heard too much about BM3 that wasn't too positive and ultimately the experience I've had with BPM is great.
      03-27-2018, 11:37 AM   #22
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't care about having a bunch of options when I have one tuner who is reputable and ultimately has tuned a bunch of N26 motors. I've heard too much about BM3 that wasn't too positive and ultimately the experience I've had with BPM is great.
You have to take it with a grain of salt. They have created a platform that works on every modern BMW engine (Minus the B's right now). They created the software and have to work across several different engines. Think of where Bootmod3 is now as a Beta stage. I came in during "Alpha", before OTS maps, and it was a bit rocky, but it worked out. You have to see where the software is going. They just announced that in the next two weeks, users will be able to adjust things like burble, idle speed, cold start, etc. on their own. This platform will have its bugs right now, but it's going to be amazing upon completion.

Appreciate 0