F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Low Tire Pressure
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2018, 06:41 AM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Low Tire Pressure

So with the change in the weather my tire pressures have gotten lower on all tires. The warning came up while driving and some clown must have thought I was disabled so he could race me and win. It's true sport mode was disabled but there's no limp home mode limiting speed and S mode with stick to the left or manual mode still works. Anyway I got home and used my portable air compressor to raise levels to approximately what's on the door jamb for speeds below 100 mph. Do any of you get low tire pressure especially in colder climates when fall or winter rolls around? Thinking of making taking the compressor with me on longer road trips but not if I'm near home or a gas station with air. Prefer not to have to much stuff in the car as I'm not a prepper planning to use my bimmer as a big out vehicle. So no emergency kit, food rations or auto repair kits in my car though I do have a power all battery pack and jumper cable in the storage are under the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Ask Tom Brady about the Ideal Gas Law.
In fall when it can be 45 degrees one morning and 65 the next I'll see as much as a 3 PSI difference from one day to the next. It's never caused a warning, because I have my TPMS correctly calibrated. OTOH when I took delivery it wasn't correctly calibrated, so a few days later I did get a warning when I shouldn't have. After you bring the pressures to where they should be do a calibration, so you don't get premature warnings. Then do a monthly check of cold pressure to account for the seasonal changes in average temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

If your tire pressure is already a bit low, it's very common to get a warning when the weather cools off and the pressure drops below the warning threshold.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I carry a 12V air pump and a tire repair kit anyway, since I don't have run-flats installed. On a couple of occasions on vacation in the mountains, the pressure drop caused by temperature has triggered warnings. If you don't have a spare, you might want to consider a pump and a tire plug kit.
Appreciate 0