F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > FAQ: BMW iPhone 5 and iOS 6 Functionality, Bluetooth and Y-Cable Overview
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #23
BMWKAMZZ67
Rep
Drives: '12 640i'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
Sorry for the potentially stupid question, but what does PlugIn actually mean?
PlugIn is the interface shown below. You need 6NR option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoz7 View Post
I have an iphone 6 with the y-cable. If I get the thunderbolt adaptor will I still be able to browse through the songs on my iDrive screen, or is that what PlugIn means?
Dang you have the iPhone 6!
How do we know if we have 6NR?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #24
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQKaMbiZ View Post
How do we know if we have 6NR?
It would be on your window sticker, listed as BMW Apps for $250.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #25
wvoz
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT Sportline

Thanks for information. Very useful.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #26
davem3fan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan

Garage List
Great thread, thanks!

Dave Flogaus CCA #123862
11 E90 M3 Sedan DCT
94 E36 325is M-Tech (S50)
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
Christian B
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d

I will receive my 320 from 08 (with idrive proff.) in few weeks and the iphone 5. Since I cant get a snap-in before june 2013, please tell me whats the best - Install a bluetooth (for some reason there isn't bluetooth) or should I buy some cable (I don't know if there is USB??)
I use the phone a lot every day, and would like to play music from the Iphone as well
      10-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
Joaofeio
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d auto Luxury (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw
Great summary!

Unfortunately the procedure for showing text messages doesnt work for a iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 in a F30 equipped with 6NL and 609.
The phone does not show the option " Show notifications" under the paired device". It does show "Synchronize contacts" and that works fine.
Anybody with different results?

(Car bt software updated using upd1005.bin)
I have exactly the same problem. Did you get any answer?
Thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #29
dc_bmw
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaofeio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_bmw
Great summary!

Unfortunately the procedure for showing text messages doesnt work for a iPhone 3GS with iOS 6 in a F30 equipped with 6NL and 609.
The phone does not show the option " Show notifications" under the paired device". It does show "Synchronize contacts" and that works fine.
Anybody with different results?

(Car bt software updated using upd1005.bin)
I have exactly the same problem. Did you get any answer?
Thanks
Sort off. I've seen many people report this so aparently the 3GS doesnt support MAP.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #30
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

^ I was wondering about that. I can't remember what version of Bluetooth the 3GS has, but maybe MAP is only supported on a newer Bluetooth chip rev? Or maybe it's just one of those technically possible but arbitrarily blocked features that Apple occasionally uses to encourage people to upgrade, like the original iPhone not being able to do MMS even though it could when jailbroken.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #31
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Great info OP, thank! Good thread!

Here's what I notice so far with my set up.

My car is a MY12 M3 with iDrive (not sure if it's nav pro system - but some have said Canadian models don't get that, so mine probably isn't then) and BMW App.

I had the 4S then upgraded to iPhone 5 right on launch.

I use the Apple white cable (USB) and EVERYTHING worked EVERYTIME I plugged the 4S in and ran the BMW Connected App: Web Radio, Facebook, Twitter, music playback via USB; phone calls and phonebook over bluetooth all functioned as expected, no issue at all.

Then after I switched to 5. I use the same set up USB via Apple white cable (USB with lightening port of course) and bluetooth. The stuff all still function WHEN/IF the two devices (car and phone) think there is a USB connection. I didn't realize there is an issue at first because it turns out to be intermittent. It was several days into this then I realize sometimes the USB connection simply wasn't made (I can assure that it is plugged in; even the charging icon on the phone status bar shows up, so it is the software handshake/connection that is not made). Since I have noticed this intermittent issue, I have so far found that usually (cannot say 100%) unplug it, reboot the phone and plug back it will resolve it. I have basically stopped the habit of nightly turning off / rebooting my mobile since my first iPhone but with this I may actually experiment a daily reboot every morning before I plug it in my car so see if it works around the problem "all the time".

I believe this is an iPhone 5 and/or iOS6 problem simply because nothing else has changed in my set up and the symptoms started showing up after I switched to iPhone 5 (running iOS6 of course).

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #32
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

[QUOTE=jphughan;12844924]If you use a Y-cable, that may be true (although I think those cars use analog audio through the snap-in too, but I'm not sure). But if your car can pull audio using just the normal white USB cable, then sound quality should be identical since it'd be digital audio in either case.

I hear you and it would make sense, had the music through USB and with the snap-in I could tell the difference immediately, it was such a huge difference, most people may not believe me that is the case, but I experienced it and I guess that is what really matters. Still, if I find time, I will try to do it again and let you know.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #33
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1230vani View Post
I hear you and it would make sense, had the music through USB and with the snap-in I could tell the difference immediately, it was such a huge difference, most people may not believe me that is the case, but I experienced it and I guess that is what really matters. Still, if I find time, I will try to do it again and let you know.
Ever heard of the placebo effect? You might believe that it sounds better, but digital audio is completely unlike analog audio. With digital audio, you either get audio, or you don't. There is no gradual degradation of quality like you'd hear with analog audio. The signal is composed of a stream of 1s and 0s. Either the 1s and 0s make it, or they don't. There is no half-way.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Ever heard of the placebo effect? You might believe that it sounds better, but digital audio is completely unlike analog audio. With digital audio, you either get audio, or you don't. There is no gradual degradation of quality like you'd hear with analog audio. The signal is composed of a stream of 1s and 0s. Either the 1s and 0s make it, or they don't. There is no half-way.
+1

Question: My iPhone 5 is working just fine with the Apple Lightening Cable. Is it the case that if you use the "SnapIn", which I guess is the BMW cradle you get more on the display? I'm asking this because my screen doesn't look like the post above--but also his ride is not an F30.
      11-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
While this may be true in this case( snap in adapter vs USB ), the argument may not hold always true even for digital transmission of audio, since the transmission device may dynamically compress (in a lossy fashion)the data depending on factors such a estimated bandwidth of the channel.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #36
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Guys I almost never can get messages to show on the iDrive although I have it connected through USB any thoughts
      11-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #37
Jimbert
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335xi, M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
It would be on your window sticker, listed as BMW Apps for $250.
I have my window sticker and it has BMW Apps for $250, so I guess I have 6NR? But what are all those other codes, 6NL, 639, 6FL, 6NH, 7H9, 6NN? Where do we find the decoder ring for them?
      11-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbert View Post
I have my window sticker and it has BMW Apps for $250, so I guess I have 6NR? But what are all those other codes, 6NL, 639, 6FL, 6NH, 7H9, 6NN? Where do we find the decoder ring for them?
The codes are what the dealer uses to configure your car. If you go talk to your CA (your sales guy), they should be able to give you a print out of all the codes. It's probably somewhere on the forum as well. My CA doesn't even ask me any more. When I come in to buy a car, he has the option listing ready for me, I circle everything I want, and they put the order in. Once it's in, they print the option listing "as ordered", and I get a copy. It's great, because I can always feel confident in what I'm getting.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #39
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tojo_m View Post
While this may be true in this case( snap in adapter vs USB ), the argument may not hold always true even for digital transmission of audio, since the transmission device may dynamically compress (in a lossy fashion)the data depending on factors such a estimated bandwidth of the channel.
MP3/ACC audio is encoded at a bitrate of 320 kbps (on the high side). Even crappy old USB 1.0 was capable of 1.5 mbps on the low side, and 12 mbps in most implementations. I cannot think of a reason to compress audio for transport any further, given the speed, low cost, and ubiquity of high-speed transport interfaces and DACs.

Can't say it's impossible, but highly improbable.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
+1

Question: My iPhone 5 is working just fine with the Apple Lightening Cable. Is it the case that if you use the "SnapIn", which I guess is the BMW cradle you get more on the display? I'm asking this because my screen doesn't look like the post above--but also his ride is not an F30.
The 30-pin connector was capable of transmitting analog video (like component or VGA video). When you had the snap-in, there was an additional interface available under the menu item "Plug In". This interface was generated on the iPhone/iPod, rather than by the BMW entertainment system. I've never used it first hand, but it doesn't look a whole lot better than the BWM interface. I prefer the unified look of the BMW interface anyway.

The one feature for which there is no alternative is video playback. Because the old 30-pin could send video, you could actually watch videos from your iPhone/iPod on the iDrive screen. You could only do so at a full stop, for obvious reasons. Not much of a loss, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #41
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbert View Post
Type your VIN in here: http://www.bmwvin.com/
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #42
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I've never used it first hand, but it doesn't look a whole lot better than the BWM interface. I prefer the unified look of the BMW interface anyway.
I strongly disagree. The plugin interface is completely intuitive, as it is the exact interface arrangement for music that you get on an iPod/iPhone. The non-plugin interface is less functional, less intuitive, and doesn't look as nice. I can't wait to get a new Media cradle that supports the iPhone 5. Having use the plugin with the iPhone 4, it will be very hard to go without.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #43
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I strongly disagree. The plugin interface is completely intuitive, as it is the exact interface arrangement for music that you get on an iPod/iPhone. The non-plugin interface is less functional, less intuitive, and doesn't look as nice. I can't wait to get a new Media cradle that supports the iPhone 5. Having use the plugin with the iPhone 4, it will be very hard to go without.
Everyone is welcome to their opinion, of course, but I wouldn't count on BMW coming up with a solution for existing vehicles (prior to the most recent iDrive hardware update) to make use of PlugIn with the new lightning connector. The video processing components for analog video are entirely different than those required for digital. It's like component video versus HDMI. To interchange between the two, you need additional hardware. You can't do it with software alone.

I supposed they could pack it in to the snap-in adapter, but it'd be a tight fit. They certainly have room for the cost of components with the ridiculous margin they make on that thing

EDIT: Just noticed you have a 2013 3-series on order, which will have the new nav system, so your chances are a lot better.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #44
Jimbert
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335xi, M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Type your VIN in here: http://www.bmwvin.com/