F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BMW approved bodywork repair issue
GetBMWParts

09-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

BMW approved bodywork repair issue

Looking for a bit of advice from you knowledgable folk...

I had a new front bumper fitted to my 2015 3 series M Sport just after taking delivery last September, as the supplying dealer thought it acceptable to deliver a car to me damaged hoping I wouldn't notice

The work was carried out by a local BMW dealer who did a fab job & its due to be inspected under the lifetime warranty, I'm actually taking it to them tomorrow to inspect & sign certificate in order that the guarantee stays in place.

However, I've just noticed that the paint is separating / bubbling - in the fog light recess, bottom right corner where the fog light grille is. The paint is lifting from the edge of the bumper moulding at the back. No stone chip damage, looks more like poor prep & paint is coming away. It's like a blister....

So, I'm going to mention it tomorrow with an aim of getting it rectified as unless something is done I can see the paint peeling back which will look shite!

Am I in my rights to request that they repaint the whole bumper or am I likely to only get a smart repair??

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmsport View Post
Looking for a bit of advice from you knowledgable folk...

I had a new front bumper fitted to my 2015 3 series M Sport just after taking delivery last September, as the supplying dealer thought it acceptable to deliver a car to me damaged hoping I wouldn't notice

The work was carried out by a local BMW dealer who did a fab job & its due to be inspected under the lifetime warranty, I'm actually taking it to them tomorrow to inspect & sign certificate in order that the guarantee stays in place.

However, I've just noticed that the paint is separating / bubbling - in the fog light recess, bottom right corner where the fog light grille is. The paint is lifting from the edge of the bumper moulding at the back. No stone chip damage, looks more like poor prep & paint is coming away. It's like a blister....

So, I'm going to mention it tomorrow with an aim of getting it rectified as unless something is done I can see the paint peeling back which will look shite!

Am I in my rights to request that they repaint the whole bumper or am I likely to only get a smart repair??

Thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.
A full bumper respray under warranty. Takes a little while to get authorised by bmw but shouldn't be a problem.

Pics of mine below
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      09-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for your reply.

My paintwork issue is similar to your second picture above, but in the corner where the recess goes vertical. The paint hasn't actually come off yet but i'm sure it will if I poke it with a cocktail stick or something.

Was yours the original paint that had gone like that or was your bumper previously repaired? Curious to know as mine will be inspected by the dealer bodyshop who painted it last year, not sure in that circumstance they will need BMW authority as it is a fault of their paintshop rather than manufacturing fault.

Will be good to have a full repaint of the bumper as I've picked up a few stone chips in the last 12 months!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colmsport View Post
Thanks for your reply.

My paintwork issue is similar to your second picture above, but in the corner where the recess goes vertical. The paint hasn't actually come off yet but i'm sure it will if I poke it with a cocktail stick or something.

Was yours the original paint that had gone like that or was your bumper previously repaired? Curious to know as mine will be inspected by the dealer bodyshop who painted it last year, not sure in that circumstance they will need BMW authority as it is a fault of their paintshop rather than manufacturing fault.

Will be good to have a full repaint of the bumper as I've picked up a few stone chips in the last 12 months!
Mine was the original paint from the factory.
Approved body work repairs have 2 years warranty so you should be fine.
Noticed mine after washing the car but I wouldn't exacerbate the issue in your case just point it out to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Colmsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well, fuming isn't the word for it....

Dropped car at dealership early on Wednesday morning (yesterday) for them to carry out a 'localised' repair (much against what I would want, but got to give them the opportunity as its a warranty repair). Supposed to be ready same day.

I've got this week off work so doesn't really bother me to lose one day getting car sorted. No courtesy car available but Mrs is off too & picked me up, still easier than trying to juggle getting it done when I'm back at work.

Get a call just before lunch on Wednesday, car should be ready to pick up in a couple of hours. I told them that I don't want it cleaned as I've seen the damage they inflict on cars. Get another call an hour later to say its failed QA & needs to be re-done.

Today, get phone call to say car will be ready at 2pm, once again get another call an hour later to say failed QA & will need to be done again.

Starting to get properly pissed off now, can't pick it up tomorrow as out all day. Had an ear full from the Mrs as haven't been able to plan doing stuff on our week off. What worries me the most is that when I get there on Saturday to pick car up it will be a shit job!

How many times do I allow them to re-do their 'localised' repair before I can insist that they repaint the whole bumper??

Rant over!
Appreciate 0