F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Weird Paint Imperfection Rear Bumper (2015 F30 Alpineweiss)
GetBMWParts

07-24-2020, 04:58 AM   #1
tela15
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 318d Sport

Angry Weird Paint Imperfection Rear Bumper (2015 F30 Alpineweiss)

Hi there!

Another OCD car owner here - took me a while to get used to stone chips in the front bumper (looking good repainting it with small repair kits following some of the good advice in the forum!).

Yesterday though, I realised about this weird imperfection in the back bumper of the car! (The first picture) It doesn’t seem to be an impact nor a dent (and there is no chip in it). Anyone ever seen this before? Is it a paint imperfection?

Attaching a second picture, last year in the back of the car too (in a different spot though), while washing my car the paint started to fall off as it can be seen in the picture. Took it to the dealer, and they kindly fixed it under warranty by adding a layer and re-painting the areas. They told me it must have been an impact, but I did reassure that I saw the paint falling off as I was washing the car. It was a high pressure washer gun (well, it was at a regular gas station) and was washing with hot water + soap programme.

The dealer told me that the front and back bumpers are plastic instead of aluminium, and they recommended me to wash the car with cold water only and to keep more distance from the car when washing it. Ever since, I have been super careful and followed their guidance. But what is that paint imperfection? Do you guys think it was an impact?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The first looks like impact. The second looks like it was badly repainted and is now flaking.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:18 AM   #3
tela15
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The first looks like impact. The second looks like it was badly repainted and is now flaking.
Thanks for your help Billfitz! Hmm interesting, such a weird spot to get an impact (because the bumper there is concave, there’s no marks from other car paints etc.)

The flaking from the second pic got fixed (it wasn’t repainted, it happened with the factory paint unfortunately!).

I’m now concerned about the impact above - do you think the plastic could have got cracked (or is that just paint damage?). I’m hoping it doesn’t start flaking...!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #4
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

literally anything could have caused that mark. A firm stick while backing into a spot, a flying piece of debris from a landscape company while your car was parked somewhere, bottom part of a shopping cart. Hell an over cooked french baguette can ding plastic if you try hard enough. Your paint isn't likely to fail because of that. If you are really that OCD and what it gone you'll have to have the it filled, repaired and resprayed. But then your OCD will be triggered by the slight variation in white tones on the bumper and rest of the car.
      07-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #5
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Unfortunately, the first one if some type of impact. Someones license plate screw or maybe something in a garage etc.

Second, hard to tell for sure. Could be something that fell on it but I don't think its peeling.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #6
tela15
Registered
Rep

Thanks a lot for your help! Will have to enjoy the car as it is, couple of years already so getting over this freakout stage lol Planning on keeping it for long, so will just collect a couple of those baguette impacts and then can properly respray fully when it actually needs it.

Time to enjoy the car and not care 🚗🌬
Appreciate 0