F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Tuning car risks / rewards (b58)
Extreme Powerhouse

04-12-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

10-15% louder in Comfort, 70% louder in sport it basically becomes a straight pipe exhaust in Sport, with no mufflers or resonators on the way. Only the Downpipe and cat still suppressing some of the sound/noise.
But believe me - it is more sound than noise! It's fantastic. And the tune adds burbles and gunshots (in Sport). But you can also continue driving in Comfort with negligible impact on the comfort level, which is brilliant.
      04-12-2021, 11:42 AM   #24
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
My answer will probably not help you - I have xDrive and zero traction issues
The only instances of wheel spin or rear going sideways is in Sport+, if I push it hard in a turn and of course if it is wet, which makes it easier. Then it only takes a second and xDrive puts me back on track with full speed ahead

But I have test-driven a 340i with RWD only and that thing scared the sh*t out of me

Have you considered proper tires before going down the LSD road? What tires (dimensions and brand/model) are you driving now? This is definitely something that has the potential to improve your traction immensely.
But if you hit a wide open muddy and wet road on RWD in sport+ you can definitely have a lot of fun...of course if you are doing that under controlled conditions. Mine is RWD. We mostly have dry hot days so, it works fine for me. I drive the X1 in the snow when we have that one snow day a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:43 AM   #25
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
10-15% louder in Comfort, 70% louder in sport it basically becomes a straight pipe exhaust in Sport, with no mufflers or resonators on the way. Only the Downpipe and cat still suppressing some of the sound/noise.
But believe me - it is more sound than noise! It's fantastic. And the tune adds burbles and gunshots (in Sport). But you can also continue driving in Comfort with negligible impact on the comfort level, which is brilliant.
Right on! My experience too.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #26
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Interesting. Any drone in sport? Also, any opinion on sway bars? I know im all over the place.... Im just gonna blame it on the adhd lol
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:01 PM   #27
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

It's a matter of opinion. Nowhere near obnoxiously loud, I love it, but my wife constantly asks why?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #28
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

There is a slightly more pronounced drone in Comfort around 2000 rpm. Same in Sport, but the sound there is "all over the place" and you don't really stay around 2000 rpm too often
      04-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #29
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
Thanks for posting. Yeah, I weirdly view the mppsk exhaust as negative in a way. Ive heard it in person and its SO loud. Like gunshots loud lol. I don't want that kind of attention drawn to my car, personally.

With your lsd, have you noticed improved traction with spirited driving on roads? Not so much drifting (i have no desire to do that), but more from a stop, low traction situations (rain or snow) or exiting a turn?
I don't usually turn off traction control on public roads. When autocrossing, while the tires may give up traction under some conditions, it is entirely controllable, and the car will continue to accelerate. On wet roads I have had no issues with traction control kicking in even under hard exhilaration.

My exhaust is not much louder than the stock exhaust and defiantly does not have any gunshots pops. It can have a burble under deceleration, but it isn't loud. It is louder on cold starts, but gets quieter in about 30 seconds. Is it possible that the cars you have heard have had other exhaust modifications. If you want loud, you should hear my Camaro!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 12:50 PM   #30
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I saw my name in here so ill just throw in my 2c here for OP.

1. The OTS maps from MHD and BM3 are totally fine, and you are not going to compromise reliability of an otherwise mechanically sound car, especially from a stage 1 map. But, if you are going to lose sleep over it or constantly be worried about it if you flash tune, then maybe this isnt the path for you, because your overall enjoyment of driving the car will be reduced even if you gained HP/TQ.

2. A simple piggyback like a JB+ may be a viable option for someone in your situation. It's a bit of an archaic way to increase HP is the world of flash tunes but its simple and it does work. Drivability will likely not be nearly as good as a flash (nor will overall power increase). Typically not the path i would recommend but might be something worth trying to see if you like it since it has a low price point and can be resold.

3. You need better tires. I had the S001 RFT and i would spin 2nd gear from a roll once tuned/FBO (N55). I got PS4S and i can hook 1st gear from a slow roll and nearly dead hook 1st from a dig. And LSD will of course help as well, and provide better traction/handling in other situations (i.e., cornering).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 01:10 PM   #31
F30_Paul_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Sounds like MPPSK is perfect for you. The engine tune gives you 20hp and 39lb/ft. The exhaust is a high quality variable valved system that closes in Comfort unless going at high speed, and opens in Sport/Sport+ and sounds GREAT. The sound is in my opinion loud but very reasonable with the valves open. If you're feeling mischievous, you just let off the throttle at 4k+ or downshift to 3rd or 2nd and you will have gunshots. Sometimes isolated loud pops or full on AK-47 depending on when you do it. Its plenty fun and I believe it'll increase your car's value because this system is from BMW.
Appreciate 0