F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F'ing Ridiculous
Studio RSR

10-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #23
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Great to read. The only person that I know who changes cars more frequently is my son in law - and he works for a garage chain. He has had G30 530d MSport, 440i MSport, current new shape X3 3.0d Msport - as well as a toy on order for my daughters daily driver...

I'd like 1 of each - but realistically given my age and use, the X5 would be my favourite. After all I started looking at an M3 and ended with an SQ5...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn_Tom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Thanks very much! That M3 is honestly gorgeous in person, the side by side is same phone camera same car. It had the most metallic flecks I've ever seen in paint.

Car list sounds good, post up some pics! Do make sure you pay off what's important to you first before pushing the boat out.
I think I saw a post not too long back of your car all about black paint I think. For a second I thought it was two different M3's. Your side by side shows off two different personalities to the colour, love it.

I'm big on dark colours with light leather, although the jeans needed the boot!

Speaking of dark cars and light leather, here's my 420i, I'll do a thread sometime soon with the Fiesta and Corsa in.
Nice list! Does he have choice outside of BMW and picks BMW or is it a BMW chain? The latter maybe. I should probably look for a job like that
      10-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #24
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Inchcape - so lots of options. The 530 was last job though... they can have what works on the scheme and currently what they have available, he tried for an M4 on the scheme but it was specced with some expensive extras like 3k paint and wouldn’t reach residual needed....

So it’s an M4 CP in mineral grey and black for my daughter (6 month lease to get it out of system...) and then he reckons a Merc for him next time -if he can get a C63 through the scheme....

My next car is likely to be whatever he can get me on a cheap short lease, possibly whilst I still have the Audi. You only live once...
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

You're a crazy quick car changing mofo chris, but we love you and the forum would be a far less interesting place without your eccentric car changing craziness!
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #26
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Wow, credit to you for finding a brand you like and sticking with it I've bought 18 cars (and 5 motorbikes) in 43 years which works out at a new/replacement car ever 2.3yrs but have had a real mixture (Triumph, Ford, Renault, Nissan, Citroen, Lexus, Vauxhall, BMW...). Have never owned a black or a white car.

Totally agree with your advice, get the roof over your head sorted before you sink your money into cars.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #27
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
I decided to count up again my list of F series chassis cars. Just churning this out on the phone, I'll tidy up on the PC some day. I also just love BMW pics hence dumping almost all of mine in one thread.

F Series Order
F10
F15
F22
F30
F39
F56
F80
F82
F87

Jesus Christ, I should have written this it a bit sooner.

I think I might have gone a bit far.

Some Chronological Order Thoughts

F10 - White 520D Auto. Work mile cruncher. Took it to about 35,000 miles. This is the last car I bought tyres for. This was over 5 years ago in 2012/2013 I think last car I almost kept to the end of the PCP maybe 30 of 36 months. Obviously things averaged a bit from here onwards.

F22 - Estoril Blue M235i with loads of M Performance Kit. Loved this car, gorgeous to look at and 6mt. Traded in but only because after a while the pedal offset I noticed was terrible. I think about 20,000 miles. Made it to first service.

F82 - M4 Black Saphire. Early M4 non CP didn't really enjoy it 14,000 miles sold privately.

F15 - X5 M50D enormous car. Went with 7 seats, used the 3rd row 4 times. Had the huge panoramic roof but just annoyed me. Not great, not terrible car. Can't remember the mileage, maybe over 8,000.

F56 - Mini JCW. Added JCP Pro exhaust & Suspension coil overs and it was amazing. The best fun/£ car I've had. This was a cash purchase as at the time I was totally hacked off with work and was about to step away for a year or so. Another 6mt and it was totally impractical however when I had a change mid heart and stayed in role. Traded at about 10,000 fun miles.

F30 - 335D. Factory order which for me was an termite of pain. Lovely car but didn't really gel, mpg was nowhere near what I was expecting and it was a bit rolly pollly. EB2 colour, lovely.

F87 - M2 DCT. I had coveted the M2 for some considerable time. Cracking little car but I felt overpriced until Pre Regs started appearing. Snapped one up and really enjoyed this. From what I hear the N55 is still sweeter than the S55 M2C but they improved almost everything else. Cracking package, M2GC would have me intrigued and the Vision GT car is to my eye the greatest BMW 'design' of all them. I know it's not real or a mid engine platform but it looks soooo good!
I took this to about 11,000 miles also. Oddly for me didn't change a thing I the car or any M Performance bits.

RRS - Not a BMW let's move on. 11,500 miles.

F80 - M3CP 450HP DCT MPE. Back to BMW core DNA the super saloon. Does everything I need, noisily and quickly. Can be calmed down to peaceful volume quite easily. Hated the 666M devil wheels when I first set eyes I then, absolutely love them now. I thought the ride would be harsher on them but it's acceptable and pliant in Comfort for me. Starting this car, driving in S+ and lifting off this car is the childish fun of the Mini JCW but in a grown up and 3x the price package. Another Pre Reg Car.

F39 - Not mine but Mrs JustChris's X2 2.0D MSport Auto X Drive. Her first BMW and she loves it.

Concluding I think it's time to steer clear of Coupes and Large SUVs. Although to all of us it's obvious I've changed too frequently, some of the mileage is about 2 years for many people and I can spend hours each day in a car with work travel.

Also a little back story. There's certainly no silver spoon in my mouth. I have mentioned it a couple of times here, growing up my parents had a LADA the really blocky one, then the Samara. Everything I've done across my car change journey is self funded and not in any way ever putting any financial risk to my own family. I also advise folks here to pay off the mortgage first before messing with cars. This is exactly what I did, the M cars started after I paid off the house reasonably early in life.

Peace
I'm a bit sad I never had an F10. My E60 530d was indestructible. And the 19 inch spider alloys were the tits.

Great list and great read.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 05:04 AM   #28
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I really enjoyed reading your car buying journey. Are we to conclude the perfect car doesn’t exist?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 05:09 AM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Buying tyres is such a chore.....

Great read Chris
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 05:18 AM   #30
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Yeah, cracking write-up Chris. I knew you've had a few cars, but didnt realise it was this many!

And your M3 looks great in black, lovely car.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-21-2018, 05:27 AM   #31
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bb0 View Post
Quote:
I decided to count up again my list of F series chassis cars. Just churning this out on the phone, I'll tidy up on the PC some day. I also just love BMW pics hence dumping almost all of mine in one thread.

F Series Order
F10
F15
F22
F30
F39
F56
F80
F82
F87

Jesus Christ, I should have written this it a bit sooner.

I think I might have gone a bit far.

Some Chronological Order Thoughts

F10 - White 520D Auto. Work mile cruncher. Took it to about 35,000 miles. This is the last car I bought tyres for. This was over 5 years ago in 2012/2013 I think last car I almost kept to the end of the PCP maybe 30 of 36 months. Obviously things averaged a bit from here onwards.

F22 - Estoril Blue M235i with loads of M Performance Kit. Loved this car, gorgeous to look at and 6mt. Traded in but only because after a while the pedal offset I noticed was terrible. I think about 20,000 miles. Made it to first service.

F82 - M4 Black Saphire. Early M4 non CP didn't really enjoy it 14,000 miles sold privately.

F15 - X5 M50D enormous car. Went with 7 seats, used the 3rd row 4 times. Had the huge panoramic roof but just annoyed me. Not great, not terrible car. Can't remember the mileage, maybe over 8,000.

F56 - Mini JCW. Added JCP Pro exhaust & Suspension coil overs and it was amazing. The best fun/£ car I've had. This was a cash purchase as at the time I was totally hacked off with work and was about to step away for a year or so. Another 6mt and it was totally impractical however when I had a change mid heart and stayed in role. Traded at about 10,000 fun miles.

F30 - 335D. Factory order which for me was an termite of pain. Lovely car but didn't really gel, mpg was nowhere near what I was expecting and it was a bit rolly pollly. EB2 colour, lovely.

F87 - M2 DCT. I had coveted the M2 for some considerable time. Cracking little car but I felt overpriced until Pre Regs started appearing. Snapped one up and really enjoyed this. From what I hear the N55 is still sweeter than the S55 M2C but they improved almost everything else. Cracking package, M2GC would have me intrigued and the Vision GT car is to my eye the greatest BMW 'design' of all them. I know it's not real or a mid engine platform but it looks soooo good!
I took this to about 11,000 miles also. Oddly for me didn't change a thing I the car or any M Performance bits.

RRS - Not a BMW let's move on. 11,500 miles.

F80 - M3CP 450HP DCT MPE. Back to BMW core DNA the super saloon. Does everything I need, noisily and quickly. Can be calmed down to peaceful volume quite easily. Hated the 666M devil wheels when I first set eyes I then, absolutely love them now. I thought the ride would be harsher on them but it's acceptable and pliant in Comfort for me. Starting this car, driving in S+ and lifting off this car is the childish fun of the Mini JCW but in a grown up and 3x the price package. Another Pre Reg Car.

F39 - Not mine but Mrs JustChris's X2 2.0D MSport Auto X Drive. Her first BMW and she loves it.

Concluding I think it's time to steer clear of Coupes and Large SUVs. Although to all of us it's obvious I've changed too frequently, some of the mileage is about 2 years for many people and I can spend hours each day in a car with work travel.

Also a little back story. There's certainly no silver spoon in my mouth. I have mentioned it a couple of times here, growing up my parents had a LADA the really blocky one, then the Samara. Everything I've done across my car change journey is self funded and not in any way ever putting any financial risk to my own family. I also advise folks here to pay off the mortgage first before messing with cars. This is exactly what I did, the M cars started after I paid off the house reasonably early in life.

Peace
I'm a bit sad I never had an F10. My E60 530d was indestructible. And the 19 inch spider alloys were the tits.

Great list and great read.
Thanks. That F10 did everything we needed. Best all rounder of the crop could be of value for money is considered. For me it's going to take some incredible car design to convince me it is a better 'classic' saloon shape than an F10 in MSport guise.

Thank you also for the kind words
      10-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #32
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Yeah, cracking write-up Chris. I knew you've had a few cars, but didnt realise it was this many!

And your M3 looks great in black, lovely car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Buying tyres is such a chore.....

Great read Chris
Thanks guys. I'm a tad rusty on tyre buying, 6 years possibly but I think 5! As I've got tyre and alloy insurance I'm fairly sure I won't be 'buying' a set anytime soon. Those wide rears pick up nails real bad round about 13,000 miles I heard
      10-21-2018, 06:38 AM   #33
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

What will be the Christmas / New Year car?

You can't let January pass without jumping in to something new.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 06:46 AM   #34
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
What will be the Christmas / New Year car?

You can't let January pass without jumping in to something new.
One step at a time Brigand.

Based on a retrospective look at mileage and time of change. April May is when I get my first addicts chip for being clean for 6-7 months.

Danger points I'm looking out for:-

6-9 Months & 11,000 Miles.
Launch if G80 M3 and G20 340i.

10-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #35
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Wow...that's an impressive selection of cars.

BMW should give you a loyalty award.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #36
Witney
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model-Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Wow...that's an impressive selection of cars.

BMW should give you a loyalty award.
They were about to give him an M5, but he went and bought a Range Rover Sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #37
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
One step at a time Brigand.

Based on a retrospective look at mileage and time of change. April May is when I get my first addicts chip for being clean for 6-7 months.

Danger points I'm looking out for:-

6-9 Months & 11,000 Miles.
Launch if G80 M3 and G20 340i.

There's a M5 in Marina Bay sitting in HJ Chester. I could see you in that!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #38
liam_
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Great write-up Chris, really enjoyed reading!

Thanks
      10-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #39
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

You've just won the internet with this post. Top work.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #40
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
So basically, to conclude, instead of buying new tyres when they need replacing, you buy a new car instead?
I had an ex who changed company cars on such low mileages that sometimes it could be as little as 6 weeks! Some cars didn't even get a wash before they went back!
I've a friend who works @ Ford now & he orders his next company car as he gets a new one delivered. They last 6-8 weeks then changed. Only realise he's changed if the colour is obviously different.

Nice post, Chris. Boy done well
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      10-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #41
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam_ View Post
Great write-up Chris, really enjoyed reading!

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
So basically, to conclude, instead of buying new tyres when they need replacing, you buy a new car instead?
I had an ex who changed company cars on such low mileages that sometimes it could be as little as 6 weeks! Some cars didn't even get a wash before they went back!
I've a friend who works @ Ford now & he orders his next company car as he gets a new one delivered. They last 6-8 weeks then changed. Only realise he's changed if the colour is obviously different.

Nice post, Chris. Boy done well
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
You've just won the internet with this post. Top work.
Hey thanks so much guys. Really appreciate that.

Happy motoring.
      10-05-2023, 02:07 PM   #42
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

….F40!

😂

Is that a record?. I make that 10xF series. Thank goodness Salary sacrifice came around!

(I got a reputation notification from this thread which prompted this addition. I definitely don’t go through all my old threads updating them routinely) 😄
Attached Images

10-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #43
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Also own other final edit.
The chap who bought my F80 Azurite Black F80 M3 followed me on Instagram. Cars innit.

I shipped him the original Azurite mirror covers FOC as I sold it with the CF on.

I did kind of assume he’d make a geature Paypal or such but never mind, they belong with that car really.
      10-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #44
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

Very nice :-)
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00