F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Spark plug service n55 w/mppk
Studio RSR

10-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #23
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyler View Post
I just did my plugs this weekend and ran into an issue that I outlined in another thread regarding over tightening the plugs. Be sure to get an decent torque wrench. I used the harbor freight mentioned above and at 18 ft lbs (which the spark plugs should be torqued at) it was difficult for me to hear/feel the click which lead me to over tighten the plug resulting in a misfire. I since swapped in another plug and all is well again.

The install is easy - took me an hour start to finish. Get 6 of the Bosch ZR5TPP33S (must have the S) along with a "BMW MINI 14 MM 12 Point spark plug socket - CTA2376" from FCP euro. The socket has the rubber grommet and works fine. Cost me like $70 total and was delivered in one day.

Follow the link that BadBread posted above - It clearly explains each step and lists tools needed as well as the torque specs

Some things to know before you do the install -
E socket size 18 will remove the torx for the strut bars in case you don't want to buy a whole set. I reused the torx for these.
Tape (yes duct tape) the spark plug socket to the flex joint on your extension and lube the rubber grommet inside the socket. If you don't the socket may stay on the plug.
Work on one cylinder at a time from start to finish so you don't mix the connections (although this is difficult since its clear which cylinder they connect too)
Get a decent torque wrench
Don't forget to put the little black circle things back that cover the bolts for the struts and instead watch them fly away during the test drive afterwards.
Great tip on using tape! I totally didn't even think to try that!

Glad it all worked out in the end, despite the minor setback.
      10-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Are you guys putting the joint at the end of the extension and then the thin walked socket on the end of that? It's hard to imagine the sequence and where this tape is going
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 12:33 PM   #25
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Looked through my old photos and found a couple, not the best but here's how I did it:

[img]http://*************/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_0358-1024x683.jpg[/img]
[img]http://*************/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/IMG_0359-1024x683.jpg[/img]

EDIT ***

Now that I look at it, I see this doesn't exactly help. I used the locking extension bar in combination with a dental pick (to lift the locking part of the extension) when removing the spark plug socket.
      10-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #26
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I used a wobbly extension.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 03:07 PM   #27
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyler View Post
I just did my plugs this weekend and ran into an issue that I outlined in another thread regarding over tightening the plugs. Be sure to get an decent torque wrench. I used the harbor freight mentioned above and at 18 ft lbs (which the spark plugs should be torqued at) it was difficult for me to hear/feel the click which lead me to over tighten the plug resulting in a misfire. I since swapped in another plug and all is well again.

The install is easy - took me an hour start to finish. Get 6 of the Bosch ZR5TPP33S (must have the S) along with a "BMW MINI 14 MM 12 Point spark plug socket - CTA2376" from FCP euro. The socket has the rubber grommet and works fine. Cost me like $70 total and was delivered in one day.

Follow the link that BadBread posted above - It clearly explains each step and lists tools needed as well as the torque specs

Some things to know before you do the install -
E socket size 18 will remove the torx for the strut bars in case you don't want to buy a whole set. I reused the torx for these.
Tape (yes duct tape) the spark plug socket to the flex joint on your extension and lube the rubber grommet inside the socket. If you don't the socket may stay on the plug.
Work on one cylinder at a time from start to finish so you don't mix the connections (although this is difficult since its clear which cylinder they connect too)
Get a decent torque wrench
Don't forget to put the little black circle things back that cover the bolts for the struts and instead watch them fly away during the test drive afterwards.
Do you think the lube on the socket to the plug may have caused the misfire???
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #28
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Im currently at 43k miles on my 2014 435i and decided to call my local INDY shop for a quote on oil change and plug change:

Oil change - $95
Plugs(with labor) - $200

Seems pretty reasonable, but might just buy the tools and do it myself!