F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Touchscreen Technology
proTUNING Freaks

08-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #45
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
You mean Tesla owners?
They are near the top of my list...
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18756.00
      08-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #46
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
I decided to not get a Jag F Type V8R on the basis that its infotainment is shite (poor interface for most actions) and pretty much only touch screen and they dont offer HUD in the F Type (but do in every other model). HMI (Human-Machine Interface) is a serious business for me and as I have done, walked away from one manufacturer because theirs is poor. Trouble is, shiny big screen and tons of features will attract most people.
I think given the choice between two equally desirable motors, the technology interface would probably make or break it for me.

So say between an A6 (no giggling at the back) and a G30 the Beemer would win for having physical buttons alone, let alone any other reasons you might prefer the Bavarian offering....

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 08-21-2018 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
Zippee363.50
DaveH28287.00
      08-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #47
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Agreed.

What did you thing of the VW. I thought it was going to be pretty special but inside was a big let down I thought?

Sorry OT.
Underwhelmed by it to be honest. There isn’t anything intrinsically wrong with it, apart from the aforementioned screens But they are asking very strong money (unless massively discounted) and while it would be an okay car it would have to be at a much lower price point. Basically there just didn’t seem to be anything special.

Which included the dealer experience too. I’m not one for ass kissing and smarmy sales but the three ‘salesmen’ present ignored me while they chuckled like children playing with the electronic tow hitch which they seemed to think gave the car the appearance of being, umm, arroused as it folded in and out repeatedly, much to their excitement. They didn’t even sling their hooks when I tried to look in the boot

Good luck selling it for X5 / Cayenne money in an environment like that
Appreciate 2
JustChris17485.50
      08-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #48
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Much prefer physical buttons. Easier to use esp when you build up muscle memory and can use them without looking at them - eg. zoom levels for nav, changing heating etc. All the touchscreens I've encountered (mainly in Renault hire cars) seem laggy.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:10 AM   #49
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Well as I currently drive a car with 95 percent of controls by a single touch screen I can say I can see the appeal but needs more work.

On the Volvo there are constant displays of temperature and key shortcuts that expand for phone, map, media and in the main that is actually quite handy. The thing that isn't so great is trying to change things whilst on the move for settings etc in the Sat nav for example. I like someone else actually use voice commands more now which again works well to a point.

I imagine Audis latest version is better than the Volvo s and has hadaptec feedback which would be better but I would still prefer a mixture of both.

The idrive is so easy to use and change once your used to it and it's very quick, the Volvo can be laggy which is annoying.

Also more importantly what happens when the screen goes phut or takes a knock and you can't see anything?! Car is undriveable until it's taken to a dealer for a screen change at God knows how many thousands.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:14 AM   #50
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

My X5 is touchscreen. I generally only use touch when stationary, controller for every other time. The one thing is is quite handy for us moving the map with your fingers as it opposed to the faff in trying to do that via the controller.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #51
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Well as I currently drive a car with 95 percent of controls by a single touch screen I can say I can see the appeal but needs more work.

On the Volvo there are constant displays of temperature and key shortcuts that expand for phone, map, media and in the main that is actually quite handy. The thing that isn't so great is trying to change things whilst on the move for settings etc in the Sat nav for example. I like someone else actually use voice commands more now which again works well to a point.

I imagine Audis latest version is better than the Volvo s and has hadaptec feedback which would be better but I would still prefer a mixture of both.

The idrive is so easy to use and change once your used to it and it's very quick, the Volvo can be laggy which is annoying.

Also more importantly what happens when the screen goes phut or takes a knock and you can't see anything?! Car is undriveable until it's taken to a dealer for a screen change at God knows how many thousands.
therein lies the manufacturers con.

An 8inch PCAP touchscreen is circa $180 (dollars).

Obviously not the same as fitted to car xxx but that's a comparable figure.

A huge amount of the costs for modern cars are software development and tooling, individual parts are relatively cheap.

I have a decent touch screen in the Golf R Hearse (7.5), over last 12 months I have had a few incidents where I have almost seriously fucked up and crossed white line etc.

The Golf is not helped by the position of the touch screen display, this causes you to look downwards rather than at the dash, this greatly impacts peripheral vision, which is where movement is detected.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:49 AM   #52
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
My X5 is touchscreen. I generally only use touch when stationary, controller for every other time. The one thing is is quite handy for us moving the map with your fingers as it opposed to the faff in trying to do that via the controller.
Exactly the same in my G31. I only ever use the touch screen when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #53
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
Same as my F32, except dont really fiddle with it, except using carplay.

Dont like the fingerprints it leaves too!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #54
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post

It's a risky move in Volvos with the majority of users having shaky hands even when stationary...
      08-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #55
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Touchscreens have their place, just not in something weighing a tonne plus traveling at high velocities.