F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > European Delivery with Trade-in?
Extreme Powerhouse

09-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
BMWFM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xit

European Delivery with Trade-in?

Here are a few questions for folks who did ED and traded-in their old car.

One dealer is telling me I would need to give up my trade-in a couple of weeks prior to the ED date. I would then not have a car for 6-8 weeks which makes little sense. Alternatively, they can buy the trade-in when I pick up the new car in the US but I can't get the tax benefit.

My questions fo those in the know:

- When do you pay for your new car? (I understand it is a couple weeks prior to ED)

- When do you hand over your trade-in to the dealership?
1. When you pay for the new car, a couple of weeks before the European delivery. (which means you are car-less during the transportation time of your new car)
or
2. When picking up the new car from the dealer in the US

- If you hand over the trade-in when you pick up the car from the dealer in the US: Do I get the tax credit for the trade? (i.e. taxes paid will be based on the new car cost - trade-in value).

Any thoughts on how to get this done right? What are other dealers doing?

Thanks a lot

FM
F34 335i xDrive, M Sport, Alpine White, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, Dynamic Handling, Technology, Driver Assistance, Premium, Active Cruise Control, Heated Seats, Side and Top View Cameras, European Delivery, Debadged
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
E92Carrera
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire E92

This has been asked before, but without the tax info. So the obligatory: must be added.

Anyway, you pay for the car at the latest 1 week before your schedule ED Delivery date. That being the case it works like any other purchase you may have made here in the US. When you pay for the car for ED you sign the contract, so if you have a trade-in you must give up that vehicle when you sign. So it does make perfect sense, is it ideal, obviously not.

If you didn't you'd basically be asking the dealership to give you credit in advance for a vehicle they will not have possession of. That's the only downside of ED, if you don't have a vehicle while you wait for re-delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFM View Post
Here are a few questions for folks who did ED and traded-in their old car.

One dealer is telling me I would need to give up my trade-in a couple of weeks prior to the ED date. I would then not have a car for 6-8 weeks which makes little sense. Alternatively, they can buy the trade-in when I pick up the new car in the US but I can't get the tax benefit.

My questions fo those in the know:

- When do you pay for your new car? (I understand it is a couple weeks prior to ED)

- When do you hand over your trade-in to the dealership?
1. When you pay for the new car, a couple of weeks before the European delivery. (which means you are car-less during the transportation time of your new car)
or
2. When picking up the new car from the dealer in the US

- If you hand over the trade-in when you pick up the car from the dealer in the US: Do I get the tax credit for the trade? (i.e. taxes paid will be based on the new car cost - trade-in value).

Any thoughts on how to get this done right? What are other dealers doing?

Thanks a lot

FM

2011 E92 Space Gray - M-Sport - Euro Delivery

2008 E92 Black Sapphire - Black Interior - Aluminum Trim
Appreciate 0