F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Battery Discharge
Studio RSR

10-22-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328i xDrive GT

Battery Discharge

Soooo a couple of weeks ago I had my car in the shop for an urelated issue. (It was in the body shop) and when I got the car back I see a message in the windshield, "battery discharged while (?)". Okay cool so I let it idle for a while, make a couple stops and headed to work. When I left work and started the car I noticed it turned over rather slowly. Couple days go by and one morning it was more chilly outside than usual and the car wouldn't start at all......
Eventually after pressing the start button it went ahead and started I then received another message in the windshield. "Higher or more battery discharge". Again I let the vehicle idle for a while and drove around for a period of time to let the car charge. I believe it may be time for a battery for my horse. With it being a '14 year model it was sold in 2013 and 7 years is a while to go without a battery. Keep in mind I do have sub and amp installed, probably 1000 rms. Any suggestions? All advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Put the battery on a charger overnight. If it has a problem the next morning it's time to get a new battery. Do not take it to a dealer, they be thieves. The battery will have to be registered, so search around for a retailer that will do that for you. Dealers will charge you up to $150 to register a battery, a process that requires a very basic OBD tool and a whopping five minutes, but like I said, they be thieves.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
R BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328Xi GT, 2020 X3 MC

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M Comp  [0.00]
2014 328Xi GT  [10.00]
Get your self a CTEC battery charger and every couple months put it on overnight. It will keep your battery topped off and I bet it will last a few more years.
Just letting the car idle will not charge it enough.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 10:57 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I plug in a battery maintainer every night when the temperature drops well below freezing, but considering the OP is in Mississippi he doesn't have to deal with that. He'd benefit from using a maintainer if his driving habits are in town only for short trips, and if that's the case using the maintainer should be done weekly.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:02 PM   #5
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep

So should I invest in a battery charger or battery maintainer. Or are they the same thing
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

A charger is usually rated at six amperes or more, being intended to take batteries from fully discharged to a full charge in a day or less. A maintainer is one to two amperes, being intended to top off a battery that's partially discharged, and to power a car when the car isn't running, so the battery won't be discharged. That's because modern cars with their electronics are never totally 'off'. I have one of these, which runs as a maintainer at two amps or as a charger at eight amps, on sale at a very good price today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #7
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay so I need to plug it up to the battery in the trunk or up under the hood. In the trunk I'm assuming
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:38 AM   #8
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Bill fits it happened again last night. Only this time, it damn near didn't want to crank at all..... started throwing all kinds of warnings; rear spoiler; drivetrain malfunction; it was really bad. Eventually got her to turn over and she was whistling..... made it home turned her off and cranked her again with not problem. Help me out my brother
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f34guy View Post
Okay so I need to plug it up to the battery in the trunk or up under the hood. In the trunk I'm assuming
Connect wire to the charging posts, with an in line fuse as close as possible to the positive post. You can unscrew the posts to fit U connectors beneath them.
https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/...gative lug.jpg
https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/...sitive lug.jpg
Run the wire to the lower grille, put a quick connector there, zip tie the connector to the grille. Plug the connector from the charger in there.
Use split loom plastic tubing to wrap the wire (first photo), incorporating as much of the existing wiring as well to protect it.
Quote:
Bill fits it happened again last night. Only this time, it damn near didn't want to crank at all..... started throwing all kinds of warnings; rear spoiler; drivetrain malfunction; it was really bad. Eventually got her to turn over and she was whistling..... made it home turned her off and cranked her again with not problem. Help me out my brother
Either the battery isn't holding a charge or something is draining it when the engine is off. The way to see if it's the latter is to check the battery voltage when you park it for the night, then disconnect the negative battery terminal. The next morning re-connect the battery, check the voltage before starting the car. If the voltage goes down by more than a volt overnight the battery is toast. If not do a voltage test at night and the next morning, leaving the battery hooked up. If it's way down this time something major isn't shutting down when the car isn't running.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
washufiddyfo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 340GT x-Drive

Billfitz I'm curious about why you don't use the cigarette/DC accessory plug with your unit. Is it just to avoid constantly shutting the door on the cord since you're using it all the time? Or were you concerned about the 8 amps flowing back on that circuit?

f34guy It's very possible you're still on the original battery. My car was a 14 model originally sold in Dec 2013, and the original battery is still hanging in there, but with a short commute I do have to top it off periodically, esp when it's cold.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm curious about why you don't use the cigarette/DC accessory plug with your unit.
Plugging the charger lead into a connector on the lower grill is far more convenient. My charger is hanging on my garage wall, always plugged in to the AC outlet, with a long enough cord to reach the car connector. I have the car backed into my garage, so it's very obvious when it's plugged in. That way I won't suffer a brain fart and drive off with it still connected. It couldn't be any easier to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 11:56 PM   #12
f34guy
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay so I've purchased a charger, can I connect it under the hood or do I have to charge it through the trunk? And what mode should I charge it in under the hood? AGM or Standard? If I need to charge it from the trunk what mode AGM or Standard?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:34 AM   #13
3-GT
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d GT

Quote:
Okay so I've purchased a charger, can I connect it under the hood or do I have to charge it through the trunk? And what mode should I charge it in under the hood? AGM or Standard? If I need to charge it from the trunk what mode AGM or Standard?
It says in the manual to connect in the engine compartment.

As for the mode, I'd guess AGM mode, but not 100% sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay so I've purchased a charger, can I connect it under the hood or do I have to charge it through the trunk?
Which part of my detailed instructions do you not understand?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
washufiddyfo
Private
Rep

It's an AGM battery, so you would choose that regardless of where you hooked it up. Hood is easiest, even on a one-off charge without running the quick connect, I hook the alligator clip up to the positive post under the red cap, and if you don't want to pull that cover to find the negative lug, just clip the black one onto a nearby bolt (such as one of the three suspension bolts). Turns out the cig adapter is only active for a short time until the car goes to sleep.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

The negative lug under the hood is in plain sight.
https://billfitzmaurice.info/images/...tive%20lug.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:19 AM   #17
washufiddyfo
Private
Rep

Indeed, the one you referenced is exposed a few feet up the frame. However depending on the charger, those of us using alligator clips may find the leads are not long enough to reach that post.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Alligator clips are adequate if you rarely use a charger. If you use one on a regular basis not so much.
Appreciate 0