F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > So I spun my steering wheel hub
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #1
SC435i
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

So I spun my steering wheel hub

I decided to change my steering wheel for a new look and realized while pulling out that it was angled 30 degrees off-center. I know everyone warns you to be careful when pulling the wheel off so it doesn't spin, but they don't tell you how to fix it. Is there a specific way to correct the problem or will I need to spend a couple minutes doing trial and error till it works?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
DJSF3014
Lieutenant
67
Rep
494
Posts

Drives: Bmw 335i 2014 x drive
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (1)

Following
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #3
TheFanatic
Private First Class
TheFanatic's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
149
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
I decided to change my steering wheel for a new look and realized while pulling out that it was angled 30 degrees off-center. I know everyone warns you to be careful when pulling the wheel off so it doesn't spin, but they don't tell you how to fix it. Is there a specific way to correct the problem or will I need to spend a couple minutes doing trial and error till it works?
best way is to make sure your wheels are strait then get a rough mid point on the hub and put it on. you'll need enough to allow the steering wheel to turn 1 1/2 times in either direction off of center without binding. It doesn't have to be perfect. granted these cars may be slightly different but that's what I've seen on all the others that I've worked on.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
erickonphoenix
Private First Class
erickonphoenix's Avatar
United_States
277
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: Gray 328xi Touring
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

Same deal when you change out the steering rack. You can try to get the splines to line up but usually you have to pull the steering wheel and adjust it a bit unless you executed surgical precision marking the location.

Basically the same process TheFanatic described. Get the wheels straight then center the steering wheel on the post. There may be a little trial and error involved.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #5
SC435i
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Thank you TheFanatic and erickonphoenix!

I just gave it another shot now and might have found a worse problem...
Looking at the wheel cores the notch that fits into the steering column is different between the two wheels. My OEM wheel has the notch dead center and fits back on normally, but with the new wheel, it's off-centered to the right which causes it to not be straight. Below are some pictures of both wheel and a close up of the notches.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com


I believe the donor core is from an f80/82 so I don't know If that explains the different notch placement, or if it's just bad manufacturing. I'm also assuming there's no way to adjust the steering rack to make the wheel sit straight.

Last edited by SC435i; 01-13-2021 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
erickonphoenix
Private First Class
erickonphoenix's Avatar
United_States
277
Rep
107
Posts

Drives: Gray 328xi Touring
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

That wheel hub may not be compatible if the guide splines are off. This is the part where you abandon the project, source another hub, source another wheel, or break out a wheel grinder.
Appreciate 2
Billfitz4668.00
SC435i3.00

      01-13-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
smrtypants44
Captain
smrtypants44's Avatar
United_States
318
Rep
623
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
Thank you TheFanatic and erickonphoenix!

I just gave it another shot now and might have found a worse problem...
Looking at the wheel cores the notch that fits into the steering column is different between the two wheels. My OEM wheel has the notch dead center and fits back on normally, but with the new wheel, it's off-centered to the right which causes it to not be straight. Below are some pictures of both wheel and a close up of the notches.
View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com


I believe the donor core is from an f80/82 so I don't know If that explains the different notch placement, or if it's just bad manufacturing. I'm also assuming there's no way to adjust the steering rack to make the wheel sit straight.
Aren't f10 steering wheels not compatible with F3x/8x? Maybe the donor car is a f10 hence the weird spline notch placement.
__________________
Appreciate 1
SC435i3.00

      01-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
4668
Rep
10,483
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

If all the switches all plug in and they work then you could try removing the raised section on the wheel hub that's supposed to fit into the groove on the shaft.
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
1QuikWS6's Avatar
United_States
1355
Rep
8,197
Posts

Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

iTrader: (105)

Garage List
Yeah, that wider alignment tooth in the wheel splines needs to be in the same position BDC as your stock wheel

The wheel will never be straight when the wheels are straight with the current position on the aftermarket wheel

It's gonna be real tough to remove that raised alignment section on the new wheel without buggering up all the adjoining splines - if that happens u be really screwed

Why don't you contact the vendor with your pics/explanation, tell them they sent you a wheel based on wrong core, return it & get the correct wheel?

Once you start messing with that wheel or trying anything that may not work the vendor will never take it back on return
__________________
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Leather Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK Sound+Musicar Stg3//763M Wheels//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Dinan CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 1
SC435i3.00

      01-13-2021, 07:33 PM   #10
SC435i
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Aren't f10 steering wheels not compatible with F3x/8x? Maybe the donor car is a f10 hence the weird spline notch placement.
I had no idea that was the case but it would definitely explain the notches not lining up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If all the switches all plug in and they work then you could try removing the raised section on the wheel hub that's supposed to fit into the groove on the shaft.
They do. I plugged everything in last night and it works normally. I'm going to take it to a good shop to see if it the realm of possibility to realign it without completely destroying the adjacent splines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Once you start messing with that wheel or trying anything that may not work the vendor will never take it back on return
I 100% agree. I already contacted the vendor to see what could be done, but it's from Alibaba (no surprise why this happened) so I'm hesitant to deal with their customer service/wait another 4 months for the wheel
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:22 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
4668
Rep
10,483
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC435i View Post
I'm going to take it to a good shop to see if it the realm of possibility to realign it without completely destroying the adjacent splines.
It would be a simple job with the right tool, for instance: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LUJONH6...0a613fab617004
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 09:44 PM   #12
SC435i
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Hopefully, that's the case then. If I knew what I was doing I'd give it a shot, but I'm not ready to start learning on my wheel so I'll leave it to the pros lol
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST