F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Earthquake SWS 8's with Bimmertech amp VS Dedicated amp
proTUNING Freaks

09-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #23
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Those aren't RCA, they're binding posts, like these:
https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...pair--091-1152

RCA plugs and jacks should never be used for speaker connections, as that would make it much too easy to connect the output of an amp to the input of a receiver, CD player or whatever, with the result being magic smoke.

You'd use the Technicpnp if you're using the stock wiring to the woofers, the Earthquake if you're putting in the heavier gauge wire that they should be used with.
Thanks for heads up, Bill. I never zoomed in on the photo to realize that they are binding posts. My brain just glanced at the photo and assumed that they were RCA's. Binding posts are much better because I already ordered the Earthquake rings and 14 gauge wire to run from the new secondary amp in the trunk to the new Earthquake subs. Looking forward to installing this as soon as all of the parts arrive!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #24
delecz
Enlisted Member
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansC. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by delecz View Post
Actually there was a hardware issue with my amp and just got it replaced. The new one works fine. The older one had issues where it would automatically turn the master volume down by iteself due to an overheat warning (Strange because it was always running between 30-40 C).

Anyway the replacement amp I received don't have this issue.
Sorry for seeing your post late - Yes, I had the same issue. My amp was replaced twice; first due to the amp completely forgetting DSP settings and the second time because of the master volume going down over time - strange behavior. I btw just just swapped the car for a 2019 X3M40i so a new owner will be enjoying the upgrade.

/HC
I see. Looks like an issue which has hit many people who bought the amp. Seems like the newest revisions are sorted. I'm glad the sound it producers and happy with it now.
You seem generous to leave the system in when you sold the car. I'm sure the new owner will be very happy!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #25
TayF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 CP '17

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've run across two different spacers for use under the front seats in a BMW with the Earthquake 8" subwoofers- either the SWS-8X (4-ohm) or SWS-8Xi (2-ohm).

1) made by Earthquake, this spacer has two RCA receptacle jacks on the side with two pigtail wires to connect to the subwoofer. This would work well if you are using RCA speaker output jacks from your amp or Line Output Conditioner. Cost is $20/pair. Earthquake part number R8SWS

2) made by Technicpnp. These appear in photos to be a little more substantial. Instead of RCA jacks, this spacer has a stock receptacle that matches the plug on the stock BMW Subwoofer wires. This would be easiest to use if the intention is to replace the stock underseat subs with Earthquake subs. I am not clear on whether the stock BMW subs are 2-ohm or 4-ohm so choose your Earthquake model carefully. $65/pair Part# SWS-8
I read that subs under the seats at 7ohm...
M3 CP '17 444hp
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:48 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayE90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've run across two different spacers for use under the front seats in a BMW with the Earthquake 8" subwoofers- either the SWS-8X (4-ohm) or SWS-8Xi (2-ohm).

1) made by Earthquake, this spacer has two RCA receptacle jacks on the side with two pigtail wires to connect to the subwoofer. This would work well if you are using RCA speaker output jacks from your amp or Line Output Conditioner. Cost is $20/pair. Earthquake part number R8SWS

2) made by Technicpnp. These appear in photos to be a little more substantial. Instead of RCA jacks, this spacer has a stock receptacle that matches the plug on the stock BMW Subwoofer wires. This would be easiest to use if the intention is to replace the stock underseat subs with Earthquake subs. I am not clear on whether the stock BMW subs are 2-ohm or 4-ohm so choose your Earthquake model carefully. $65/pair Part# SWS-8
I read that subs under the seats at 7ohm...
I don't know. The stock subs don't matter because they were replaced. I used the 2-ohm Earthquakes and powered them with their own dedicated AudioControl amplifier with 2 channels X 150 watts into 2-ohms.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #27
Af32
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The Earthquake is one of the very few woofers that will actually outperform the stock under seat woofers, but it needs power to do it, preferably 150 watts each. A separate amp would be best. As for clarity, that's not a sonic characteristic below 150Hz, so it's a non-issue.
I have the Match 7up amp and am going to replace the stock subs with the 2 ohm earthquake subs. I have the limosine tune running right now was wondering how best to modify the tune for the subs. Also the p has a Max output of 160 w at 2 ohms and the earthquakes are maxed at 150w do I need to change the one to cap the Max output?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:35 PM   #28
chrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 and BMW Z3 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Af32 View Post
I have the Match 7up amp and am going to replace the stock subs with the 2 ohm earthquake subs. I have the limosine tune running right now was wondering how best to modify the tune for the subs. Also the p has a Max output of 160 w at 2 ohms and the earthquakes are maxed at 150w do I need to change the one to cap the Max output?
Do you have any update on how they perform vs the standard hifi subs?
I am considering to upgrade mine, but I'm not sure yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:00 PM   #29
Af32
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrbmw View Post
Quote:
Do you have any update on how they perform vs the standard hifi subs?
I am considering to upgrade mine, but I'm not sure yet.
Installed the woofers and it's a huge upgrade from stock.

I agree with everyone that you loose some mid range bass but the gains on the low end make it worth it.

The match amp feels like it has more than enough power to drive the woofers.

Def worth the $250-300 it cost
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #30
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I agree with everyone that you loose some mid range bass
Actually, you don't. The Earthquake has lower sensitivity than stock across the board. That's the price paid for its ability to go lower. In order to compensate for that you need more power than the stock amp, and the ability to turn up the overall gain or EQ on the sub amplification channels.
Appreciate 0