F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
proTUNING Freaks

04-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #1739
fantaxp7
Rep
Drives: 2014 xDrive50i Msport

Hi,

So for me, supersume worked after a different version was installed and following instructions online. Before when I hit the button nothing would happen...but after updating it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms View Post
1) Thanks for your reply. I was not able to get rid of Kingroot with supersume. How did you do this?

2) I did some analysis on the Android Screen. (See attached PDF). As a solution I installed Kingroot and viper4android. In the Avin I set all sound settings to 0. (Bass, mid and heigh). My viper4android settings you can see in the jpg file attached. They look extreme, but I verified with Audacity. You may reduce slightly the 30 Hz bass settings to something between +5 and +10. Sounds now similar to an Iphone connected to the AuxIn of my BMW. There is also some disadvantage of this: The volume is now even lower than before. Best would be to get rid of the Avin sound processing., but for this i would need to replace Kingroot by supersu.

Thank you for all the contribution here in the forum. All these posts helped me to fix some issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #1740
krayzie
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Nobody else having issues with the clock changing to 24hr mode all the time?
Any fix for it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #1741
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 320i ED

Hello
I finished installing last weekend and been playing around with the sound. The members are right: the included music player is crap. Sound is shallow and muddy.
BUT when I installed Poweramp things changed dramatically. The sound is even better that the OEM usb player.
Note that my car is an F30 2013 ED version with basic 6.5 screen - no GPS - no commbox - 4 speakers only.
Ahh, I had to install an AUX cable from the unit to the armrest. I didn't use the included one, instead I bought a good quality one.
Cheers.

Ah I forgot, I installed the app "twilight" and I can now manage the screen brightness automatically according to the time because at night the screen is too bright. Maybe someone can find this helpful.

Last edited by evahatzinikolaou; 04-12-2018 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: forgot to mention.
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #1742
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evahatzinikolaou View Post
Hello
I finished installing last weekend and been playing around with the sound. The members are right: the included music player is crap. Sound is shallow and muddy.
BUT when I installed Poweramp things changed dramatically. The sound is even better that the OEM usb player.
Note that my car is an F30 2013 ED version with basic 6.5 screen - no GPS - no commbox - 4 speakers only.
Ahh, I had to install an AUX cable from the unit to the armrest. I didn't use the included one, instead I bought a good quality one.
Cheers.

Ah I forgot, I installed the app "twilight" and I can now manage the screen brightness automatically according to the time because at night the screen is too bright. Maybe someone can find this helpful.
So with Poweramp are you able to connect your iPhone and use Apple Music or? I have Apple Music and only use that for music and listen to podcasts as well through my iPhone...
      04-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #1743
ruisilva
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d

Quote:
Hello
Cheers.

I have a 2013 f31 320d and it works without aux cable. Do you have the same ignition issue that I have?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 04:07 AM   #1744
Pacsniper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

Quote:
Hello
Cheers.

Does Poweramp work with the Idrive controller?
Appreciate 1
Tsilly15.00
      04-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #1745
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruisilva View Post
I have a 2013 f31 320d and it works without aux cable. Do you have the same ignition issue that I have?
yes. I have to turn ignition on.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #1746
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacsniper View Post
Does Poweramp work with the Idrive controller?
With the idrive controller on the armrest no. On the up-down wheel on the steering wheel yes, it goes to next/previous song.
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      04-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #1747
ruisilva
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d

Quote:
yes. I have to turn ignition on.
With ignition off if you press radio button you do not have sound with the screen off?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:49 PM   #1748
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

I have received my unit (I have E60). The audio on this unit is bad. Left and right channels are swapped with direct connection but are fixed on Aux port. If you use aux cable you essentially short left and right channel. One channel I had was actually broken somewhere. I took the harness out and now it is working fine (except for channels being swapped). No I have performed audio measurements on this unit and results are simply awful. Not only it heavily distorting audio signal it also has some audio processing (DSP) that has compressor enabled. To top if off BMW has very low input impedance on Aux port and that is combined with Android screen that has very high output impedance create a horrible frequency response. Crosstalk is garbage. I have some ideas on how to band aid Aux which I will give a shot tonight. Though most likely I will simply cut the Aux connection from the headunit and integrate airport express. I will have to root the device in order to stream all audio via AirPlay and root my phones as well (I have Android). Not sure what the latency is going to be and how to share WiFi in that configuration though. A lot of research, but first thing first is to band aid analog audio out. Once I am done I will create a thread to share my experience along with measurements.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 02:41 PM   #1749
jkont
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I had never not a single problem .
And the sound is pretty good .
You just have to raise the treble setting and it becomes identical to the iDrive sound quality.

Maybe some people have bad installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #1750
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkont View Post
I had never not a single problem .
And the sound is pretty good .
You just have to raise the treble setting and it becomes identical to the iDrive sound quality.

Maybe some people have bad installation.
Installation has nothing to do with this. I measured the device with and without load. What we are dealing here with is bad HW/SW design that matches another poorly implemented design on BMW Aux port side. My older HTC phone was also struggling driving that low impedance load, but my new LG has no problems with it. Basically you have bad design and it only gets worse when you combine the two. I work in audio industry and big time audiophile. Everyone has different sound expectations, but I have measurements to backup my claims. This is not unique to my unit either. I have another person taking measurements on E70 unit and they were on pair with what I am seeing.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:53 AM   #1751
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
So with Poweramp are you able to connect your iPhone and use Apple Music or? I have Apple Music and only use that for music and listen to podcasts as well through my iPhone...
Sorry. I don't use iphone or Apple Music. I have my music in a usb drive in the armrest.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:58 AM   #1752
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
I have received my unit (I have E60). The audio on this unit is bad. Left and right channels are swapped with direct connection but are fixed on Aux port. If you use aux cable you essentially short left and right channel. One channel I had was actually broken somewhere. I took the harness out and now it is working fine (except for channels being swapped). No I have performed audio measurements on this unit and results are simply awful. Not only it heavily distorting audio signal it also has some audio processing (DSP) that has compressor enabled. To top if off BMW has very low input impedance on Aux port and that is combined with Android screen that has very high output impedance create a horrible frequency response. Crosstalk is garbage. I have some ideas on how to band aid Aux which I will give a shot tonight. Though most likely I will simply cut the Aux connection from the headunit and integrate airport express. I will have to root the device in order to stream all audio via AirPlay and root my phones as well (I have Android). Not sure what the latency is going to be and how to share WiFi in that configuration though. A lot of research, but first thing first is to band aid analog audio out. Once I am done I will create a thread to share my experience along with measurements.
I understand. IMO swapped channels may mean something wrong in the harness. I would suggest requesting the harness to be replaced before finalizing your setup. In my case, the signal is not distorted on the stock AVIN music player. It's just poor and dull. Poweramp output on the other hand is excellent. To my poor mind this means that harness and aux are working fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 01:50 AM   #1753
beeee83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F11 525XD

Some questions

Hi guys,

I am also thinking about buying such a unit from a local provider

but i have a question which i cant find the answer (requested from resellers etc)

1. I want to setup the unit as a backup, so what is it behaviour upon carignition. Does it startup in the android mode? And do i have immediatly the NBT screen upon ignition, or will it be black until the android system boots?

I dont like interrupting my NBT view, if i gonna drive off i want to see immediatly my backup and or 360 cameras (factoryfitted) etc in my NBT mode. And if needed i want to switch to the android part.

2. Regarding the sound; its still not clear to me, do we always need the aux connection? or in my case i dont have the optical connected amps in my car, so can the sound be transferred via the AMP connector to the amp and or cant we use a bluetooth connection to the NBT from the android system.

Sorry if these questions are already answered :O

thanks for your support

Bart
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:50 AM   #1754
evahatzinikolaou
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeee83 View Post
Hi guys,

I am also thinking about buying such a unit from a local provider

but i have a question which i cant find the answer (requested from resellers etc)

1. I want to setup the unit as a backup, so what is it behaviour upon carignition. Does it startup in the android mode? And do i have immediatly the NBT screen upon ignition, or will it be black until the android system boots?

I dont like interrupting my NBT view, if i gonna drive off i want to see immediatly my backup and or 360 cameras (factoryfitted) etc in my NBT mode. And if needed i want to switch to the android part.

2. Regarding the sound; its still not clear to me, do we always need the aux connection? or in my case i dont have the optical connected amps in my car, so can the sound be transferred via the AMP connector to the amp and or cant we use a bluetooth connection to the NBT from the android system.

Sorry if these questions are already answered :O

thanks for your support

Bart
Hi,
in my case:
1. It starts immediately in the OEM screen. I can listen to OEM radio when I start the ignition.
2. I had to run the AUX cable. My car had the fiber optic cables but it doesn;t have a commbox.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #1755
beeee83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F11 525XD

Quote:
Hi,
in my case:
1. It starts immediately in the OEM screen. I can listen to OEM radio when I start the ignition.
2. I had to run the AUX cable. My car had the fiber optic cables but it doesn;t have a commbox.

Hope this helps

great thanks,

I just ordered one EW964A-NBT (from german reseller Andream, china based)

Do you guys think that the firmwares posted on this thread are also working on this unit? Sepcs look the same and mine is for an F10/F11

thanks

Bart
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #1756
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeee83 View Post
great thanks,

I just ordered one EW964A-NBT (from german reseller Andream, china based)

Do you guys think that the firmwares posted on this thread are also working on this unit? Sepcs look the same and mine is for an F10/F11

thanks

Bart
My unit is also from this seller
My car is a BMW E60 and i used AVIN firmware !
Everything works as they should !
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #1757
orion7
Rep
Drives: e90 330xd 2006

Hello,

want to ask about e60-e90 AVIN multimedia, have been struggling with this android screen for several days already. Since I'm living in Europe I bought this from aliexpress website, but it's exactly the same as AVIN are offering for US residents.
Now having hard time communicating with China seller, not only their english is not pretty, but also getting tired of stupid questions like "have you forgot to power on your multimedia" or "did you connected cables correctly"

so the car is BMW 330xd 2006 with CCC 8,8" screen.
new screen shows only part 2/3 of the image when switching to show original car display.

There is CAR TYPE list in Factory settings menu, already tried all available options, all other selections displaying worse.

After few days of useless conversations with seller he had sent me firmware which I installed and that made things even worse, later received original firmware but now after turning on ignition, multimedia powers on, but idrive control wheel and menu button are unresponsive unless I go to CAR INFO menu tab, then need to hold menu button and get back to android, button and wheel starts to work.

My thinking what I need is MCU update which I were unable to get from seller. So if anyone has it please share
My firmware specs (before update, now it's the same except now I don't have anything in these brackets [BMW-0223-180116]):

Attached Images

Last edited by orion7; 04-13-2018 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #1758
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

pm sent orion7

play with settings and you will find the solutions about idrive etc.
Appreciate 1
orion75.00
      04-13-2018, 05:45 PM   #1759
orion7
Rep
Drives: e90 330xd 2006

super thanks for the files koutsouk. I applied CarType.xml file which added several additional CAR TYPE options in the menu, now having fullscreen on option 14, which was not there before.

Now the only problem left that powering on car, screen setting goes back to first option, have to go to CAR TYPE again, deselect E60, select something else and then back to E60. And also click CAR VIEW for iDrive control knob and menu button to start working. Haven't had this problem before updating firmware.

Also I have tried importing settings from factory.xml - nothing new. And tried upgrading MCU from update.nbd - screen showing "please wait", but nothing happens, waited 10mins. then canceled operation
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #1760
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7 View Post
super thanks for the files koutsouk. I applied CarType.xml file which added several additional CAR TYPE options in the menu, now having fullscreen on option 14, which was not there before.

Now the only problem left that powering on car, screen setting goes back to first option, have to go to CAR TYPE again, deselect E60, select something else and then back to E60. And also click CAR VIEW for iDrive control knob and menu button to start working. Haven't had this problem before updating firmware.

Also I have tried importing settings from factory.xml - nothing new. And tried upgrading MCU from update.nbd - screen showing "please wait", but nothing happens, waited 10mins. then canceled operation
For idrive there is an option in factory settings
idrive A
idrive B
select idrive A and restart the unit by turn ignition off for a minute.

for the screen . You mean that the unit forgets your setting?
you select the correct car type by doyble click on it press the yes button then restart unit and keeps doing the same thing?

mcu update you probably have the latest that for it does nothing. Mine did the same also !
Appreciate 1
orion75.00