F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > I FINALLY drove an F30... very impressed
ARMA SPEED

03-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #23
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
Michael, what are you going to get to replace the 3er? "Linearity"? I'm not sure what that means. I can say despite all the car rags bitching and moaning about the steering I haven't read a single review that didn't say it is precise and takes the car exactly where you point it.

I haven't made a choice yet. My lease does not end until October. I'm leaning towards a GTI right now.

The steering may precise but it lacks a build up as cornering forces (slip angles) increase. Perhaps it's best to say it's too linear. The EPS also lacks road feel. There's more to steering than precision. You need to know what is going on at the tire patches and the F30 fails badly at this.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #24
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Michael, what are you going to get to replace the 3er? "Linearity"? I'm not sure what that means. I can say despite all the car rags bitching and moaning about the steering I haven't read a single review that didn't say it is precise and takes the car exactly where you point it.

As you know, I also own a 2006 E90 330i sport package and I don't agree that "there's really no comparison" with an equivalently equipped F30, specifically with sport suspension, staggered set-up, performance, summer tires.

That set-up obviously isn't a priority for many "enthusiasts" right here on these "enthusiast" forums, because a staggering number of them choose xDrive with all season tires and are satisfied to buy a car off the lot that doesn't even mitigate their choice by having the adaptive suspension.
Why is your screen name _? I've seen you post several times and always wondered about that.
      03-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #25
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumbringer View Post
I think the LCI 340i (xDrive even) with THP is plenty fun in the twisties, FWIW. Corners nearly flat, sticks like glue.
I bet!

It is cool that they finally offer an XI (xdrive even sorry I am old school, and I just cannot stand the new nomenclature - I prefer the pragmatic over marketing bs) with a sport suspension! Certainly the PSS tires are a quantum leap over any run flat previously offered! I personally would rather have analogue dampers included with the other goodies (cooling, tires) included in the THP.... or at least a sub option of either or within the thp.

Congrats on the car, it must be a god damned rocket. I drove an m235i when they came out and was absolutely blown away by the power and package, the 340i must build on that nicely with the new motor.
      03-13-2016, 10:48 PM   #26
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
See my signature. I also own a 2006 330i Sport/6MT with 170,000 miles, but I bought mine new (mine's also been very reliable). I also own a 2014 335i MSport 6MT.

I'm surprised you're as easy on the F3x given your experience with the E90 330i. They both have their merits, but as a driver's car, there's really no comparison. If I'm making a run through the twisties, I'll take the E90. Every. Single. Time.

[note: I'm not saying the F30 is a terrible car...I like many aspects of it, and it may be the best "overall" package in the market for a four-door sports sedan today...but it's not the dynamic canyon carver of yore]
Obviously you're driving the wrong F3x

Some spring changes and m adaptive and it changes the car completely, I've taken my car and my buddy's e90 335i through some nice twisties around here and there was no comparison, the F3x was a blast to drive vs the e90, the e92 m3 however was a different story as that V8 engine and exhaust was ridiculous (supersprint)
I have the adaptive dampers, staggered setup, and summer performance tires...and why should I have to "change the springs" to call it an even comparison? You're making my point for me. Regardless, my main beef is with the steering and not the suspension.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #27
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I haven't made a choice yet. My lease does not end until October. I'm leaning towards a GTI right now.

The steering may precise but it lacks a build up as cornering forces (slip angles) increase. Perhaps it's best to say it's too linear. The EPS also lacks road feel. There's more to steering than precision. You need to know what is going on at the tire patches and the F30 fails badly at this.
hmmm......for me I couldn't trade the dynamics of rwd for fwd. I loved my '96 G20, but for me there's just no comparing the dynamics of being pushed through the corners rather than pulled through.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
hmmm......for me I couldn't trade the dynamics of rwd for fwd. I loved my '96 G20, but for me there's just no comparing the dynamics of being pushed through the corners rather than pulled through.
LOL I agree 100% ... and that said we wound up getting a GTI I got an absolute steal deal on a 2014 LOADED GTI 4 dr with 40k miles. I won't be driving the car so it's all good.
      03-17-2016, 04:14 AM   #29
BM57
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i

StealYourFace: Thanks for sharing your E90 experience. That post must have taken you quite a bit of time and I do appreciate it very much.
      03-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #30
Ali Shiralian
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive, 2014 X5 3.5d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
There is no i6 sound being pumped in via active sound on the 28i.

Drive a 35i and there's a huge difference between engine sound.
And not just the sound lol
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #31
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealYourFace View Post

* Steering/maneuverability - Again, anyone that compares the steering of this car to a camry is a drama queen. It felt tactile, deliberate and precise. No, not exactly like hydraulic, but different doesn't mean worse. Plus I like the reduced noise - the per steering pump in my e90 has always sounded like a cat in heat esp after autocross or track time. And given the increased size of the car, and the soft non sport dampers, the car felt nimble and athletic.
Thanks for sharing your review. As far as steering feel goes, a detailed thread in the other forum about E90 versus F30 driving dynamics says:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...177&highlight=

"The slip angles producing cornering forces at the tire patches create what's known as aligning torque-essentially, the tire trying to return to straight-ahead running. This aligning torque is fed back through the rack-and-pinion steering gear to the steering wheel. It's part of the information the driver uses to learn what's going on where the rubber meets the road. The K&C machine reported that aligning torque is 64 percent lower in the (F30)328i than in the (E90)335i. While the switch to electric power steering may improve mileage, it's a bummer for Bimmer driving satisfaction."
Appreciate 0