F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Don't let your wife drive your car
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

03-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #23
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
I actually do not get the point of the OP's picture/post to start this thread. That damage could happen to anyone...male/female, old/young, white/black, good driver/ bad driver, etc., etc. Bye.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #24
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
I clicked because I thought it would be a cogent discussion in spite of the dumb title. The subtle reach for a lowball laugh is not beyond me. I get it. I can appreciate that. But the thread was a sexist statement with a picture of a damaged underbody and nothing else. The kind of casual sexism that too often gets swept under the rug, passed off as a joke that others 'don't get'. Again, I'm not offended, or lacking insight, but embarrassed for people to see this and know that I post here. I like to share some of these threads with my wife and other female friends, but when this kind of thing shows up, it just looks like we're all stuck in a closeted Bud Light ad. If that's your thing, rock on. But at least offer some content, context, or insight. Getting up on stage and saying, "Women can't drive, right fellas?" only to drop the mic and walk off is incredibly dumb.
So you just aren't a fan of low brow comments that belittle a general populous regardless if malice was intended. Fair enough, everyone has their preferences, but a lot of us don't feel the need to pontificate and sit on a moral high horse when we disagree with something.

Quote:
I'm sure nothing offensive was meant, but this bullsh*t shows up on these forums far too much. Had to make a similar criticism in the F8x forum this morning, and then I came here and read this utter failure of an attempt at a joke.
Welcome to the internet.

Quote:
To that end, I'll try to steer this in a more positive direction. My wife grew up driving manuals, is a pretty badass driver, and asked me to repeat myself when I told her I might build my F80 with the DCT. I think she threatened divorce.
There's no doubt that we all know girls who are kick ass drivers, I sure as hell know some who are better than I am.

Last edited by fecurtis; 03-17-2016 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I was wrong, this is the dumbest thing I'll read all day today.
Then you must not be reading your own posts

Quote:
If every guy had my shitty attitude what would happen to the driving skills of women drivers? Nothing, my attitude is independent of how people drive. Maybe next time you should consider thinking before you speak kid.
You didn't read what I asked did you? I asked you what would happen if every guy had the same shitty attitude (not just you).

Since you seem incapable of even basic reasoning, I'll spell it out for you:

1. Women's driving skills would be ridiculed on an even more frequent basis
2. Women would be less confident in their own driving skills
3. Women would drive less due to low confidence and the fact that the men aren't letting them drive their cars
4. Women driving less = Women with less driving experience

You're fighting an uphill battle. How well do women drive in Saudi Arabia compared to in the USA do you think?
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

People are way too sensitive on these subjects lol. It's his opinion, not a movement to stop women from driving. My girlfriend would laugh and totally get it. If your wife/girlfriend was offended by this post, you have bigger issues.

If my girlfriend showed me a post about shopping and it said don't let your husband do your shopping, I would laugh not cry and say SEXISM!

Most people wouldn't let anyone that doesn't have an interest in cars drive their car (especially with how OCD people are that come to these types of forums). The list of people I would trust driving my car is very small. Women generally are not interested in driving cars like men are. Sport car manufactures use attractive women to market their cars. Is it sexist that they think only men like fast cars? No, they use statistics.
Current 2020 X7 50i

Last edited by XRAVE; 03-17-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
      03-17-2016, 02:37 PM   #27
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

03-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #28
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive335 View Post
You didn't read what I asked did you? I asked you what would happen if every guy had the same shitty attitude (not just you).

Since you seem incapable of even basic reasoning, I'll spell it out for you:

1. Women's driving skills would be ridiculed on an even more frequent basis
2. Women would be less confident in their own driving skills
3. Women would drive less due to low confidence and the fact that the men aren't letting them drive their cars
4. Women driving less = Women with less driving experience

You're fighting an uphill battle.
You're implying that what a women does and how well she does it is solely contingent on what men think?

If that were true, precisely zero women would watch The Bachelor. So yeah, peoples' attitude towards something has no bearing on one's actual ability and if they were, they should probably work on not being an insecure POS.

I'm plenty capable of basic reasoning kid, I'm not the one who thinks peoples' attitudes affects someone's ability at something. Maybe you're a low self esteemed person who would be affected by that, but I couldn't care less about peoples' attitudes towards my ability towards something. If anything I use it as motivation to prove people wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:42 PM   #29
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...reversing.html

And in my Googling to procrastinate at work, I came across this:
http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com...-drive-part-4/

Jesus Christ. Some idiot took the time to dedicate an entire sexist webpage.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:47 PM   #30
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
You're implying that what a women does and how well she does it is solely contingent on what men think?

If that were true, precisely zero women would watch The Bachelor. So yeah, peoples' attitude towards something has no bearing on one's actual ability and if they were, they should probably work on not being an insecure POS.

I'm plenty capable of basic reasoning kid, I'm not the one who thinks peoples' attitudes affects someone's ability at something. Maybe you're a low self esteemed person who would be affected by that, but I couldn't care less about peoples' attitudes towards my ability towards something. If anything I use it as motivation to prove people wrong.
I don't know or care what the Bachelor is, but here's the real kicker:

If every guy had the same shitty attitude as you, every guy would be sexist. Plain and simple. No better than racism.

Since you say you're capable of basic reasoning, why don't you reason what happens when everyone is sexist (here's a hint: look at history).

Attitude of course isn't the ONLY factor, but it is A factor. Why don't you be the bigger man and have a positive attitude? Show a kid what it is to truly be a man
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #31
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
I actually do not get the point of the OP's picture/post to start this thread. That damage could happen to anyone...male/female, old/young, white/black, good driver/ bad driver, etc., etc. Bye.
It's a play on the stereotype that women can't drive, granted it's not very funny but that's what OP was insinuating.

This apparently offends people, which I find odd but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As a minority who's dealt with more than his fair share of horribly racist comments and threats growing up in the rural south, I just view shit like this as harmless. Hell I viewed most racist comments made towards me as harmless, to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #32
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know or care what the Bachelor is, but here's the real kicker:

If every guy had the same shitty attitude as you, every guy would be sexist. Plain and simple. No better than racism.

Since you say you're capable of basic reasoning, why don't you reason what happens when everyone is sexist (here's a hint: look at history).

Attitude of course isn't the ONLY factor, but it is A factor. Why don't you be the bigger man and have a positive attitude? Show a kid what it is to truly be a man
Start by not being an idiot and learning to take a joke and understand when something is stated with the intent of malice versus being facetious? That's a start to becoming a man.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Start by not being an idiot and learning to take a joke and understand when something is stated with the intent of malice versus being facetious? That's a start to becoming a man.
A man stands up for what is right. You're wrong.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #34
XRAVE
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
His opinion. No ones wrong.
Current 2020 X7 50i
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #35
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
You guys are too sensitive. My wife and I often joke about women can't drive.
Often when you see someone drives like a student driver, it turns out to be a woman.
And when you see a car having trouble to parallel park into a 15ft spot, it turns out to be a woman.

It's general stereotype that women are more mechanically challenged than men.
Tell me that your wife is the one fixing the computers or electronics when they have issues.

Same goes to them that they might be talking about how their husband dresses like a bum and won't listen to their fashion advise on the purse forums.

But I wouldn't mind to let my wife drive my car, if she gets her license. It's just a car.

Last edited by hollandog; 03-17-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 02:53 PM   #36
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No a man respects other peoples' opinions even if he disagrees with him. What you're doing is actually called being pious.

You've a lot of growing up to do kid.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #37
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No a man respects other peoples' opinions even if he disagrees with him. What you're doing is actually called being pious.

You've a lot of growing up to do kid.
I refuse to respect sexist opinions. Respect that?
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #38
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
Often when you see someone drives like a student driver, it turns out to be a woman. And when you see a car having trouble to parallel park into a 15ft spot, it turns out to be a woman.

It's general stereotype that women are more mechanically challenged than men. Tell me that your wife is the one fixing the computers or electronics when they have issues.

Same goes to them that they might be talking about how their husband dresses like a bum and won't listen to their advise on the purse forums.
I've made fun of girls I've dated and make fun of my female friends that they can't drive.

They make fun of me for the same since I'm half Asian, alongside all of the other usual stereotypes. Next time I'll launch into a diatribe about how they're racist and terrible people.

EDIT: Just noticed the section in bold, you realize you're insinuating that women can't fix computers?!?!?! Be prepared to hear about how you're on par with Hitler in your hatred of women.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #39
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
Often when you see someone drives like a student driver, it turns out to be a woman. And when you see a car having trouble to parallel park into a 15ft spot, it turns out to be a woman.

It's general stereotype that women are more mechanically challenged than men. Tell me that your wife is the one fixing the computers or electronics when they have issues.

Same goes to them that they might be talking about how their husband dresses like a bum and won't listen to their advise on the purse forums.

But I wouldn't mind to let my wife drive my car, if she gets her license. It's just a car.
Just a car?

JUST A CAR?!

Quote:
Is this your first time on the internet?
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #40
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough, although no truly sexist comments have been made in this thread at all.

It is amusing laughing at your posts and your misplaced convictions. I'll dub you the internet's moral arbiter lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #41
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Is this your first time on the internet?
He'd have an aneurysm if he ever visited the comments section of a popular YouTube video.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough, although no truly sexist comments have been made in this thread at all.

It is amusing laughing at your posts and your misplaced convictions. I'll dub you the internet's moral arbiter lol.
I had a few chuckles at your posts as well. I'll dub you "fecurtis".
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #43
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had a few chuckles at your posts as well. I'll dub you "fecurtis".
Unless you're a woman, then it's Mr. Fecurtis.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #44
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Unless you're a woman, then it's Mr. Fecurtis.
You're hilarious
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread