F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom Tune Review + GoPro Video
proTUNING Freaks

10-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Custom E50 Tune + GoPro

I figured I would write a review on my custom tune process with David Shoup since I found reviews hard to come by.

My goal was to max out the turbo meanwhile staying in safe limits, which is what he did for me. I saw a few b58's tuned by him with very impressive numbers and feedback and after talking to him, I decided to go through with a custom e50 tune.

Regarding his customer service, it was great. From the first revision sent out to the last, he explained every adjustment of what he would change and why he would change certain parameters (in example: timing/boost/load/etc). When I had questions/concerns (whether it was out of the ordinary numbers/wanting more power), he took the time to even explain the science behind my questions; for example, explaining what exactly timing was and why he is setting it to whatever he set it too, explaining the reason for not going past certain boost, etc.

Regarding the amount of revisions/time in between revisions, they varied. Certain times I'd get a revision within a few hours, sometimes within a few days. Even though I was eager to continue the revisions, I understood that I'm not his only client, and he's not only tuning my car. Of course with his reputation, he was busy. Nevertheless, we went though roughly 9-10 revisions, and that was due to myself asking for the most power as possible but typically on stock turbos, it should be somewhere around 5-7.

Which brings me to my next point. From what I understood after working with him, he's not the type to push further than safety limits. I'm sure my car could have squeezed out another 15-20whp (by the way, I have not dyno'd it), but he was not comfortable sacrificing reliability and peace of mind for those extra few whp. That's a big thing that build my trust with him.

Lastly, as far as the tune itself, it's feels very fast and smooth, I'm very happy with it. I plan on going with Vargas GC for the next step, stay tuned!

Current Mods: b58tu hpfp, Armytrix catback, vrsf catless downpipe, agency power intake, vrsf charge pipe, h&r springs, b8 struts, ngk 94201 (.022 gap), e50 mix.

Also, a link to my new YouTube video of a GoPro mounted near the exhaust, let me know what you think!

Supr3me551.00
      11-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
This is a really good review and I appreciate you sharing it. Your description of the additional info and feedback you get from David is exactly what I don't get from Steven at Wedge. I can send a paragraph or a page and this is what I get back. He's not my tuner, he's my revision vending machine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supr3me View Post
This is a really good review and I appreciate you sharing it. Your description of the additional info and feedback you get from David is exactly what I don't get from Steven at Wedge. I can send a paragraph or a page and this is what I get back. He's not my tuner, he's my revision vending machine.
It really helps when the tuner explains what's going on and what he's doing etc. I actually had some minor changes to the car which fixed an unknown little boost leak in my car from a previous install screw up.

So after that my logs became a little choppy due to the extra added boost, I hit up Shoup again and he sent a few more revisions to fix it. He actually took the time with me one day to speak with me on the phone between each revision/log we worked on and he explained exactly what he was changing, why he was changing it and what was causing the choppiness until we ended with a clean log.

Like I said, the only thing is some people may expect revisions within 24hr or less which isn't the case, it can be up to a few days but knowing he is busy, knowing I'm not his only client and knowing I get top of the line tuning/service is worth every dollar and minute spent with him.

I have a Vargas GC coming in a couple weeks, will be going back to David Shoup without a doubt!
Supr3me551.00
      11-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
luca1098.50