F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock 2015 335i -- CEL -- 104301, 101F01 (**RESOLVED**)
Extreme Powerhouse

12-24-2021, 10:53 PM   #23
audi01
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I still get 101f01 and 118001 codes on cold starts. Yes it seems it's a common problem and hard to pinpoint from what I have researched.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #24
Karolx80
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi01 View Post
I still get 101f01 and 118001 codes on cold starts. Yes it seems it's a common problem and hard to pinpoint from what I have researched.
Also got that damn 101F01 code couple weeks ago. It appeared after my valcetronic adaptation. I did adaption because had 133E10 fault which was described that my vvt is deactivated. Right after activation 101F01 came on. Tried to smoke test… no leaks were detected. Then I tried to swich MAP sensors. Nothing. Also tried to clean my VANOS solenoids. Still nothing. Also changed my valve cover. Also resetted adaptions of DME. Maybe car idles a bit smoother but still have roughness on idling and check engine light. Didnt checked boost solenoid yet. Noticed that my MAP sensor before TB shows about 1013hPa and MAP sensor after TB shows about 960hPa. Is that bad or it should be different numbers? Still cant find out whats the matter lol
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:37 AM   #25
audi01
Rep

I finally got around to doing a smoke test on the inlet tract after buying a smoke tester from Amazon and found a leak at the manifold gasket between the manifold and the head. All other locations were OK so ordered a new set of manifold gaskets, TB to manifold gasket and the DME gasket (just in case). I think this was the problem all along but never suspected a leak in this location as I replaced them a year earlier when I did the oil housing gaskets. The leak at the PCV was probably contributing to the problem so replacing it was a good maintenance task given the age of the car (2013). I did waste some money buying the sensor though. Lesson I learned was that doing a smoke test should be one of the first things you do if you get boost or lean codes.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 07:21 AM   #26
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
I finally got around to doing a smoke test on the inlet tract after buying a smoke tester from Amazon and found a leak at the manifold gasket between the manifold and the head. All other locations were OK so ordered a new set of manifold gaskets, TB to manifold gasket and the DME gasket (just in case). I think this was the problem all along but never suspected a leak in this location as I replaced them a year earlier when I did the oil housing gaskets. The leak at the PCV was probably contributing to the problem so replacing it was a good maintenance task given the age of the car (2013). I did waste some money buying the sensor though. Lesson I learned was that doing a smoke test should be one of the first things you do if you get boost or lean codes.
Congratz mate! Meanwhile I have noticed that when I disconnect my valvetronic servomotor, intake manifold pressure drops at about 300hPa and 101F01 fault is gone and no check engine light and engine runs very smooth! But when I connecting back valvetronic servomotor, the pressure rises again to 950hPa and 101F01 comes back. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:27 AM   #27
audi01
Rep

If you disconnect the valvetronic connector the dme will default to using the TB like most cars. The drop in pressure is normal when using the TB instead of valvetronic. The valvetronic system is supposed to be better for economy and smoother but it sounds like its not working properly. I did get a valvetronic fault code a year ago and had the dealer do the learn process as I did not have ISTA setup on my laptop and have not seen the code since. Maybe try and do the learn process again using ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:07 PM   #28
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
If you disconnect the valvetronic connector the dme will default to using the TB like most cars. The drop in pressure is normal when using the TB instead of valvetronic. The valvetronic system is supposed to be better for economy and smoother but it sounds like its not working properly. I did get a valvetronic fault code a year ago and had the dealer do the learn process as I did not have ISTA setup on my laptop and have not seen the code since. Maybe try and do the learn process again using ISTA?
Well, I have tried it once, but right after learning 101F01 appeared. But maybe you are right, maybe another learning can learn the valvetronic to work properly on new pressures. I'll try it tommorow and will let you know if anything changes!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:41 AM   #29
audi01
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolx80 View Post
Also got that damn 101F01 code couple weeks ago. It appeared after my valcetronic adaptation. I did adaption because had 133E10 fault which was described that my vvt is deactivated. Right after activation 101F01 came on. Tried to smoke test… no leaks were detected. Then I tried to swich MAP sensors. Nothing. Also tried to clean my VANOS solenoids. Still nothing. Also changed my valve cover. Also resetted adaptions of DME. Maybe car idles a bit smoother but still have roughness on idling and check engine light. Didnt checked boost solenoid yet. Noticed that my MAP sensor before TB shows about 1013hPa and MAP sensor after TB shows about 960hPa. Is that bad or it should be different numbers? Still cant find out whats the matter lol
I noticed that you mentioned that the MAP sensors have different values? There are three pressure sensors (one measuring atmospheric, one on the intake charge pipe and one on the manifold). You can check them before you start the car using ISTA and they all should be the same value within +/-25pa I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #30
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I noticed that you mentioned that the MAP sensors have different values? There are three pressure sensors (one measuring atmospheric, one on the intake charge pipe and one on the manifold). You can check them before you start the car using ISTA and they all should be the same value within +/-25pa I believe.
Well, I tried to relearn valvetronic again. Procedure was successful, but 101F01 fault didnt disappeared.

Yes, MAP sensors has different values (atmospheric and chargepipe measures about 1010hPa and manifold measures about 950hPa(valvetronic enabled)). When I disable valvetronic(disconnecting servomotor switch) atmospheric and chargepipe pressure is still same 1010hPa, but manifold pressure drops about to 300hPa. All measures shown when engine is idling. When valvetronic is enabled car misfires, runs roughly, when disabled, runs fine and fault code 101F01 is gone. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Well, I tried to relearn valvetronic again. Procedure was successful, but 101F01 fault didnt disappeared.

Yes, MAP sensors has different values (atmospheric and chargepipe measures about 1010hPa and manifold measures about 950hPa(valvetronic enabled)). When I disable valvetronic(disconnecting servomotor switch) atmospheric and chargepipe pressure is still same 1010hPa, but manifold pressure drops about to 300hPa. All measures shown when engine is idling. When valvetronic is enabled car misfires, runs roughly, when disabled, runs fine and fault code 101F01 is gone. Any thoughts?
The MAP and CP values will be different when the car is idling because the TB is creating vacuum. This is why your MAP drops further when you disconnect the servomotor (TB closes more and more vacuum in manifold). When the car is off the MAP and CP should be atmospheric.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:10 PM   #32
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

The MAP and CP values will be different when the car is idling because the TB is creating vacuum. This is why your MAP drops further when you disconnect the servomotor (TB closes more and more vacuum in manifold). When the car is off the MAP and CP should be atmospheric.
Well thats like cars which simply uses TB to control airflow. But how about when valvetronic is swithced on? When I watch live data I see that my TB is about 3-4% opened(same with valvetronic switched off). Why then it does not create vacuum when TB is closed the same? Or should ir be working differently?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:55 AM   #33
audi01
Rep

I still think that you have a vacuum leak around the intake tract. 101F01 is a lean condition code and its mostly due to unmetered air entering the system after the MAF from a leak in the intake tract or crankcase ventilation system. You mentioned that a smoke test was done before but I would try again in multiple locations. If you changed the VC then you probably don't need to check this for a leak. I did a smoke test before the turbo and then did one at the charge pipe and only found my leak in the second test. Also don't use too much pressure during the smoke test, particularly if you include the crankcase as the PCV valve is delicate. I used a smoke tester with a 1 psi regulator as I was paranoid about the PCV as I also replaced the VC recently.

It is also possible that the high pressure fuel pump maybe not providing enough pressure but this is less likely. I would also check the MAP sensors before you start the car as was suggested earlier to confirm that they are reading correctly just in case one is faulty. They (there are three of them) should all be reading atmospheric pressure.
Appreciate 1
123Britt289.00
      01-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #34
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
I still think that you have a vacuum leak around the intake tract. 101F01 is a lean condition code and its mostly due to unmetered air entering the system after the MAF from a leak in the intake tract or crankcase ventilation system. You mentioned that a smoke test was done before but I would try again in multiple locations. If you changed the VC then you probably don't need to check this for a leak. I did a smoke test before the turbo and then did one at the charge pipe and only found my leak in the second test. Also don't use too much pressure during the smoke test, particularly if you include the crankcase as the PCV valve is delicate. I used a smoke tester with a 1 psi regulator as I was paranoid about the PCV as I also replaced the VC recently.

It is also possible that the high pressure fuel pump maybe not providing enough pressure but this is less likely. I would also check the MAP sensors before you start the car as was suggested earlier to confirm that they are reading correctly just in case one is faulty. They (there are three of them) should all be reading atmospheric pressure.
I think vacuum leak would be most logic to this fault code, but also I think that I would experience issues when my valvetronic is disconnected(and while disconnected, engine runs perfectly). But maybe you are right that I need to smoke test again in multiple locations.

But how about high pressure fuel pump? I think that firstly I need to check fuel rail pressure, but dont know what numbers of measurements show good/bad condition of HPFP. But still, dont forget that I dont have any issues when valvetronic is switched off!

Also met one person with same fault code and he decided to replace vvt sermomotor and eccentric shaft. It didnt solve the problem so I think that valvetronic works fine in my car and it is not the issue which causes 101F01 fault code.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #35
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

A vaccuum leak might show up under a low pressure smoke test but you really need to test to ~20psi if you want to check for a boost leak post-turbo. If you do this and you test using the inlet you need to disconnect the CCV hose and plug it so its not connected to the VC.

HPFP "partially failing" is very very unlikely as it is mechanical. You just check rail pressure vs target pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #36
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
A vaccuum leak might show up under a low pressure smoke test but you really need to test to ~20psi if you want to check for a boost leak post-turbo. If you do this and you test using the inlet you need to disconnect the CCV hose and plug it so its not connected to the VC.

HPFP "partially failing" is very very unlikely as it is mechanical. You just check rail pressure vs target pressure.
So you mean that I can see vacuum leak with smoke without more pressure if I connect smoke machine on inlet pipe(before turbo) and should use more pressure if checking post turbo? Probably best place to connect smoke machine post turbo is pipe which connected to intercooler or not?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So you mean that I can see vacuum leak with smoke without more pressure if I connect smoke machine on inlet pipe(before turbo) and should use more pressure if checking post turbo? Probably best place to connect smoke machine post turbo is pipe which connected to intercooler or not?
Its tricky because a vacuum leak could be anywhere after the MAF... so intake, intake-inlet connection, inlet itself (these can crack), TIC, IC, CP, TB, and intake manifold. Could also be valve cover. But you shouldnt need high pressure to check for a "vacuum leak". So in this case you can do the test with the CCV (inlet to VC host) still connected.

If you are checking for a "boost leak" you need to test to 20+ psi because tuned you will run that amount of boost and can get surges even higher when the TB closes. Testing to only a few psi may not reveal a leak that appears under full boost. But you dont want to send 20+ psi into the CCV hose.

I've really only done a "boost leak" test and for that i test by putting pressure into the inlet with the CCV hose disconnected from the VC and plugged. That way you are testing all the way from the turbo inlet to the engine but not pressurizing the crank case.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #38
Karolx80
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Its tricky because a vacuum leak could be anywhere after the MAF... so intake, intake-inlet connection, inlet itself (these can crack), TIC, IC, CP, TB, and intake manifold. Could also be valve cover. But you shouldnt need high pressure to check for a "vacuum leak". So in this case you can do the test with the CCV (inlet to VC host) still connected.

If you are checking for a "boost leak" you need to test to 20+ psi because tuned you will run that amount of boost and can get surges even higher when the TB closes. Testing to only a few psi may not reveal a leak that appears under full boost.

I've really only done a "boost leak" test and for that i test by putting pressure into the inlet with the CCV hose disconnected from the VC and plugged. That way you are testing all the way from the turbo inlet to the engine but not pressurizing the crank case.
Well, maybe then I have boost leak, but I dont feel any power loss or any issues when driving or pushing hard. Only problem is rough idling espacially on cold stars. Even with disconnected valvetronic I think car goes even better when pushing hard and no problems at all with vvt disconnected, even idling is perfect. But still, I think that I have to check for leaks again. Is there any logical explanation?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #39
audi01
Rep

I think (but am not certain) that when you disable valvetronic the DME goes into open loop mode and doesn't use the O2 sensors for A/F adjustment and uses a fixed fuel map. This may explain why your car gets smoother as the A/F generally goes rich which would smooth out your idle but will increase fuel consumption. You mentioned your problems are at idle so I still think the problem is a vacuum leak as the intake pressure is a vacuum at idle.

When I did my two smoke tests I plugged up the intake in between the air filter and the turbo inlet using a glove and pumped smoke into the crankcase ccv pipe which connects to the VC. I saw a little smoke coming from the manifold area. I then reconnected the CCV pipe and then pumped smoke into the charge pipe by removing the MAP sensor and sticking the smoke pipe in there. The smoke from the manifold area became more obvious around the manifold itself although I could not pinpoint the leak. There are many videos on YT which show how to do this.

The gaskets have now arrived so I will be replacing them as soon as the snow melts around my car. Also found a few videos on YT which show how to remove the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 11:12 PM   #40
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think (but am not certain) that when you disable valvetronic the DME goes into open loop mode and doesn't use the O2 sensors for A/F adjustment and uses a fixed fuel map. This may explain why your car gets smoother as the A/F generally goes rich which would smooth out your idle but will increase fuel consumption. You mentioned your problems are at idle so I still think the problem is a vacuum leak as the intake pressure is a vacuum at idle.

When I did my two smoke tests I plugged up the intake in between the air filter and the turbo inlet using a glove and pumped smoke into the crankcase ccv pipe which connects to the VC. I saw a little smoke coming from the manifold area. I then reconnected the CCV pipe and then pumped smoke into the charge pipe by removing the MAP sensor and sticking the smoke pipe in there. The smoke from the manifold area became more obvious around the manifold itself although I could not pinpoint the leak. There are many videos on YT which show how to do this.

The gaskets have now arrived so I will be replacing them as soon as the snow melts around my car. Also found a few videos on YT which show how to remove the manifold.
Easy to check if its open loop just datalog idle and a little driving with it disabled.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:25 AM   #41
audi01
Rep

Just an update on my 101F01, 118001, etc codes. Finally resolved the problem by replacing the manifold gaskets. Smoke test revealed leaks around the manifold. Removed the manifold and found that I must of damaged the manifold last time I replaced the gaskets although the damage (caused by using a pick to remove the gaskets) looked minor and did not cause a problem for over a year. I bought a used manifold from a wrecker and replaced the gaskets as well as the DME and the TB gaskets. Cleared old codes and restarted the car. Was immediately smoother on the cold start compared to before the repair even after two weeks out in the winter cold. Went for a test drive and re checked for codes. No codes so job done.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #42
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just an update on my 101F01, 118001, etc codes. Finally resolved the problem by replacing the manifold gaskets. Smoke test revealed leaks around the manifold. Removed the manifold and found that I must of damaged the manifold last time I replaced the gaskets although the damage (caused by using a pick to remove the gaskets) looked minor and did not cause a problem for over a year. I bought a used manifold from a wrecker and replaced the gaskets as well as the DME and the TB gaskets. Cleared old codes and restarted the car. Was immediately smoother on the cold start compared to before the repair even after two weeks out in the winter cold. Went for a test drive and re checked for codes. No codes so job done.
Thanks for updating with the solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 11:10 AM   #43
Fperformance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, 535i, 440i

Quote:
Hi karolx80, did you fix this issue? I'm having the same problem on my N55, 101f01 fault after valvetronic adaption to fix 133E10 code.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 12:50 PM   #44
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fperformance View Post
Hi karolx80, did you fix this issue? I'm having the same problem on my N55, 101f01 fault after valvetronic adaption to fix 133E10 code.
Did you replace or remove VC/VCG recently?
Appreciate 0