F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock 2015 335i -- CEL -- 104301, 101F01 (**RESOLVED**)
ARMA SPEED

08-19-2022, 01:57 PM   #45
Fperformance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, 535i, 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Did you replace or remove VC/VCG recently?
Yes the VC gasket and Valvetronic motor was recently replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #46
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fperformance View Post
Yes the VC gasket and Valvetronic motor was recently replaced.
Pretty sure there was another thread a few days ago where someone had the same code and it ended up being a vacuum leak from the VC/VCG.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:53 PM   #47
Fperformance
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i, 535i, 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Pretty sure there was another thread a few days ago where someone had the same code and it ended up being a vacuum leak from the VC/VCG.
Ill try to find it. In my case that seems unlikely, I've smoke tested everything and found no leaks. Engine ran perfect but had a permanent 133E10 valvetronic system deactivated code. Replaced the Valvetronic motor first, issue was still present, replaced the Eccentric shaft next, same issue. Engine still ran and idled fine after these repairs but still had the valvetronic code. Determined my DME to at fault. Replaced the DME, was then able to clear the 133E10 fault and perform the valvetronic adaptation / run in process. After this I now get the 101F01 intake absolute pressure too high code as soon as I start the engine, followed by a very rough idle.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #48
omer1903
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hello there does the problem persist? If it is solved, can you tell me how it was solved? I have the same problem for 1 year and the engine is vibrating excessively. you tried all the ways like you but it still continues
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:11 PM   #49
firediver
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 2011 - 35i - N55

Hi guys, I was really excited following audi01 and Karolx80 exchange in this thread, because I am having the same code and the same issue, however, it was really sad to reach the end of the thread and find no final update from Karol.

While Audi's final update gives me hope to find a leak somewhere causing this, I've gotten kind of frustrated after several smoke tests that show nothing, however, his logic about it being a leak and not something else makes a lot of sense to me, besides, I remember hearing a wistle coming from the engine bay at the exact same time I got the valvetronic system deactivation error.

In any case, I've found quite a few posts online related to this, but most of them are just abandoned without a final update or have updates that do not make sense to me.

If anyone has information that may help me and many others with the same issue, please do share them and I will make sure to spread them around other forums, sites and facebook groups, to make sure that something as common as this, does not become a money pit of unneccesary part swaps.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #50
leamsi_iso9001
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 2011

If you hear a whistle, I suggest to check your crankshaft gasket.
You can also check by removing oil cap and doing smoke test through oil filler hole. Check around crank pulley for any smoke
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 07:30 AM   #51
SlumsToMills
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by firediver View Post
Hi guys, I was really excited following audi01 and Karolx80 exchange in this thread, because I am having the same code and the same issue, however, it was really sad to reach the end of the thread and find no final update from Karol.

While Audi's final update gives me hope to find a leak somewhere causing this, I've gotten kind of frustrated after several smoke tests that show nothing, however, his logic about it being a leak and not something else makes a lot of sense to me, besides, I remember hearing a wistle coming from the engine bay at the exact same time I got the valvetronic system deactivation error.

In any case, I've found quite a few posts online related to this, but most of them are just abandoned without a final update or have updates that do not make sense to me.

If anyone has information that may help me and many others with the same issue, please do share them and I will make sure to spread them around other forums, sites and facebook groups, to make sure that something as common as this, does not become a money pit of unneccesary part swaps.

Thanks!
I feel the same way exactly what you said! I just did my valve cover gasket replacements and now i have these 2 error codes.

DME active codes -
101F01 - Air mass system, plausibility: calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible.
1F0525 - DME, internal fault, safety function:
Plausibility check, relative fuel mass.

Car idles fine and starts fine too on cold starts.

Heres my symptoms:
When i WOT the car or push the car to around 4-6k RPM, then suddenly I lose power as if something stops me.
Then it just barley pushes at all almost like limp mode.
I then get drivetrain malfunction.

I then park while limping slowly then turn car off then back on and it runs fine again until i push car hard again then it happens again.

Ever heard of these symptoms? Seem like something is stopping my car from going too crazy and turns off power for safety or something
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 11:57 AM   #52
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumsToMills View Post
I feel the same way exactly what you said! I just did my valve cover gasket replacements and now i have these 2 error codes.

DME active codes -
101F01 - Air mass system, plausibility: calculated air volumes in air intake system implausible.
1F0525 - DME, internal fault, safety function:
Plausibility check, relative fuel mass.

Car idles fine and starts fine too on cold starts.

Heres my symptoms:
When i WOT the car or push the car to around 4-6k RPM, then suddenly I lose power as if something stops me.
Then it just barley pushes at all almost like limp mode.
I then get drivetrain malfunction.

I then park while limping slowly then turn car off then back on and it runs fine again until i push car hard again then it happens again.

Ever heard of these symptoms? Seem like something is stopping my car from going too crazy and turns off power for safety or something

Hi

Did you check for vaccum leak? Like smoke testing the vehicle?
After VCG replacement you mayhave a small leak somewhere now.
Common place are turbo inlet and outlet, Intercooler cold and hot side connection turbo to charge pipe, and also vaccum line between charge pipe and fresh air pipe (coming from air filter box) if you drive an automatic
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 02:01 PM   #53
flagged charger
Rep
Drives: 11' 535i 6MT, 18' 330i, 17' X5

Same Codes different car

I see you had the 101F01 and 104301 on your n55. I have these same codes just on a 2011 535i manual. I cleaned the MAP sensor, no luck, I also ordered one fro ecstuning.com and still now luck, but when I changed it, the codes switched to 101F02 and 104302, is it possible that my sensor is the issue and I just used the incorrect one?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 11:20 AM   #54
firediver
Rep

Most likely a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagged charger View Post
I see you had the 101F01 and 104301 on your n55. I have these same codes just on a 2011 535i manual. I cleaned the MAP sensor, no luck, I also ordered one fro ecstuning.com and still now luck, but when I changed it, the codes switched to 101F02 and 104302, is it possible that my sensor is the issue and I just used the incorrect one?
MAP and MAF sensors throw specific codes when they go bad and you can test them with ISTA to see if they are working erraticaly.

Anything related to "airmass" errors is most likely a cracked hose, either in the intake or somewhere else.

In my case, these sensors were working fine but I was unable to find any obvious cracks in my smoke test, so I asked the dealer to run a second one and they found two hoses with thin cracks.

For a long time I thought my Valvetronic had gone bad, but it seems that it simply deactivated itself due to the increased air pressure, as these cracks allow additional air to be sucked in.

First, we reactivated the Valvetronic through ISTA+ and it worked fine, but the airmass errors popped up right away. I tried doing the adaptation procedure from this bulletin (BMW TSB SI B11 09 19) but the CEL would come back.

I wanted to deactivate the Valvetronic again to prevent any damage, but I was told by the dealer that it was not possible, so I simply used to car at low revs while the new parts arrived. After changing the cracked hoses, everything is now back to normal (AT LEAST FOR NOW! ).

In any case, make sure to run proper smoke tests for any 101F01 or similar codes, and then work your way through other codes from there. In fact, if you get (133B04: Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible) or (133E10: Valvetronic system: deactivated, too frequent adjustment errors), I would recommend trying to reactivate it through ISTA to see if it works and if other codes pop up afterwards like it happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2023, 03:52 PM   #55
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

Quote:
MAP and MAF sensors throw specific codes when they go bad and you can test them with ISTA to see if they are working erraticaly.

Anything related to "airmass" errors is most likely a cracked hose, either in the intake or somewhere else.

In my case, these sensors were working fine but I was unable to find any obvious cracks in my smoke test, so I asked the dealer to run a second one and they found two hoses with thin cracks.

For a long time I thought my Valvetronic had gone bad, but it seems that it simply deactivated itself due to the increased air pressure, as these cracks allow additional air to be sucked in.

First, we reactivated the Valvetronic through ISTA+ and it worked fine, but the airmass errors popped up right away. I tried doing the adaptation procedure from this bulletin (BMW TSB SI B11 09 19) but the CEL would come back.

I wanted to deactivate the Valvetronic again to prevent any damage, but I was told by the dealer that it was not possible, so I simply used to car at low revs while the new parts arrived. After changing the cracked hoses, everything is now back to normal (AT LEAST FOR NOW! ).

In any case, make sure to run proper smoke tests for any 101F01 or similar codes, and then work your way through other codes from there. In fact, if you get (133B04: Valvetronic system: no adjustment possible) or (133E10: Valvetronic system: deactivated, too frequent adjustment errors), I would recommend trying to reactivate it through ISTA to see if it works and if other codes pop up afterwards like it happened to me.
Thanks for the insight. Which specific hoses were cracked for you and needed replacement?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2023, 07:33 PM   #56
firediver
Rep

These two were the ones in my case, but others may cause similar symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
Thanks for the insight. Which specific hoses were cracked for you and needed replacement?
Vent hose - 11127584128

&

Sucking jet pump with lines - 13907601507
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 12:14 AM   #57
ctbear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i m-sport

Quote:
Vent hose - 11127584128

&

Sucking jet pump with lines - 13907601507
Thanks. These are awfully expensive for cheap hard plastic lines. Wish they had silicone aftermarket replacements.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 10:38 AM   #58
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 X3M, 16 X5 35i

I am having the same exact issue.

My intake pipe vacuum after throttle valve is about 50 hPa different than before the throttle valve. Based on what you are saying it would appear my manifold pressure sensor needs to be replaced. I removed it (covered in oil) and cleaned it, but the readings did not change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbear View Post
UPDATE:

There was no boost leak. The issue is with a "dirty" intake manifold pressure sensor (the one after the throttle body) not the pressure sensor on the charge pipe (boost/charging pressure sensor). I simply cleaned the sensor off with some crc maf cleaner to resolve the problem.

It took me a while, but I finally found the time and figured out how to fully take advantage of and utilize ISTA to properly diagnose the issue to resolve this.

Pre cleaning - live ISTA sensor feeds showed intake pressure sensor deviating by +/-2.2 hPa

Post cleaning - live ISTA sensor feed shows identical readings from all 3 pressure sensors: intake (manifold) pressure sensor, ambient pressure sensor, charging (boost) pressure sensor.

Take away: routine pressure sensor cleanings may help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 10:00 AM   #59
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

Under Idle, my pressures were correct as the throttle valve changes the pressure. However with the car off and the ignition on they read the same, which is how you can check the sensors. My 101F01 was caused by the MAF.

Happy to report I solved this code and reported 100 miles with no CEL.

The culprit was a bad MAF, even though the MAF did not throw a code itself. Looked good and I cleaned it, no change. After looking at the values, the air mass would range 8-22 kg/h. I figured this could not normal, and it wasn't. New $40 aftermarket MAF on Amazon no varies 13-14 kg/h at idle and the car runs much smoother!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:28 PM   #60
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

CEL back for 101f01 and 104b01 after disappearing. Looking at the fuel vent valve as a possible culprit.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 06:23 PM   #61
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

Was it fuel vent valve the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:11 AM   #62
leamsi_iso9001
Rep

I have this same 101F01.
No vaccum leak identified, no boost leak. Car drive fine except rough idle and intake manifold pressure at 0,91 bar (91 kPA) no matter what at idle.

When I accelerate, the pressure will go 100 or more but when I take out my foot from accelerator, pressure drop back to 91.

When I disconnect valvetronic motor, I have normal vaccum pressure at idle, around 38 kPa. The idle is very smooth, no misfires, no vibrations. When I accelerate with valvetronic disconnected, pressure rise to 1 bar or more and drop back to 25, 30....

Now why with valvetronic, pressure is constantly around 91 kPa even at idle? I sometimes think the valvetronic doesn't lift valve high enough and pistons are sucking very low air ( I already got low air message fault code).

I read from Karolx80 and some guy with same issue replaced VVT motor and Eccentric shaft but this didn't fix the issue.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 12:45 PM   #63
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

I do not think so, but I haven't had a chance to replace it. I have the 101F01 stuck in permanent code, so it takes a few runs cycles to determine the issue. Just replaced the vanos solenoids. Doing a smoke test today..... The issue is my car is underboosting. Have the BM3 requesting 17psi and I am getting 11psi. However, no hesitation or stuttering at WOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamsi_iso9001 View Post
Was it fuel vent valve the culprit?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 05:10 AM   #64
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamsi_iso9001 View Post
I have this same 101F01.
No vaccum leak identified, no boost leak. Car drive fine except rough idle and intake manifold pressure at 0,91 bar (91 kPA) no matter what at idle.

When I accelerate, the pressure will go 100 or more but when I take out my foot from accelerator, pressure drop back to 91.

When I disconnect valvetronic motor, I have normal vaccum pressure at idle, around 38 kPa. The idle is very smooth, no misfires, no vibrations. When I accelerate with valvetronic disconnected, pressure rise to 1 bar or more and drop back to 25, 30....

Now why with valvetronic, pressure is constantly around 91 kPa even at idle? I sometimes think the valvetronic doesn't lift valve high enough and pistons are sucking very low air ( I already got low air message fault code).

I read from Karolx80 and some guy with same issue replaced VVT motor and Eccentric shaft but this didn't fix the issue.

Any ideas?
38kpa is not ta normal engine vacuum value for a BMW engine. 38kps is a SHIT IS BROKEN vacuum value for a bmw. When valvetronic does not function, the DME uses the throttle body to control throttle. When the throttle body closes, it causes a large vacuum spike in the intake manifold. Normal operation, with valvetronic functioning, the throttle body is ALWAYS open and only used as a failsafe if valvetronic fails.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 10:03 AM   #65
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

Smoke tested the car.... no leaks. I had already gone through every connection.

I tried another boost solenoid, no change. Not sure what else to do. Blocked cat? Leaky Injector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycs19 View Post
I do not think so, but I haven't had a chance to replace it. I have the 101F01 stuck in permanent code, so it takes a few runs cycles to determine the issue. Just replaced the vanos solenoids. Doing a smoke test today..... The issue is my car is underboosting. Have the BM3 requesting 17psi and I am getting 11psi. However, no hesitation or stuttering at WOT.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 10:26 AM   #66
Scottycs19
Private First Class
Rep

Here is a 3rd gear log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=64e7...729b872c827af9
Appreciate 0