F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > has anyone done a MPPK airbox mod to N20 lower box?
GetBMWParts

11-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

Exclamation has anyone done a MPPK airbox mod to N20 lower box?

just wondering if anyone has done MPPK airbox mod from the f30 n55 to the N20 lower airbox...

curious if it makes any difference
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:53 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameson View Post
just wondering if anyone has done MPPK airbox mod from the f30 n55 to the N20 lower airbox...

I have not looked at the N20 airbox, but I have the N55 M Performance Intake airbox and I have collected information about the do it yourself modification.

The MPI modifies the lower half of the airbox under the airfilter by adding an extra air hole facing the front grill. In photos it is outlined by a piece of red plastic trim. Originally I assumed that the purpose was to allow more air to enter. But then I became familiar with the air intake system and the fact that the air opening to the turbo housing is relatively small.

So the purpose of the extra hole in the airfilter box may be more to allow sound to come out. A small performance bump can be had by installing a drop-in free flow air filter such as aFe or K&N. This is how other aftermarket intakes provide a small performance bump as well. It's from the cone shaped free flow airfilter, not from the big air holes that are allowing sound to escape.

Attached are some photos of the N55 airbox modification. Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:10 AM   #3
gameson
Captain
Rep

thank you, john. i see that the snow valve is also removed in addition of creating a front grill hole.

what do you think of afe pro dry s performance vs oem air filter when both are in stock airbox/intake? would the pro dry s gain hp/tq or won't matter?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 328i M Sport

With the n20 it's almost unnecessary to do this as we have 3/4 of a ram air intake for the n20. The intake into the air box for the m20/n26 is in the grill already. One biggest things you can do for intake is add an afe grill intake scoop to the factory "intake vent" which extends the air box connection into the factory grill and replace the intake pipe after the air box.

You won't dyno more power, but throttle response is night and day when on a roll.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-12...amic-air-scoop

Check the install instructions, you'll see what i mean, and you don't have to cut up your stock intake box.
MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #5
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwinny View Post
... replace the intake pipe after the air box.
yes, already bought that scoop, intake pipe is the inlet, right?

just curious, what afe intake do you have? i m still considering whether i should use oem paper air filter, drop in afe pro dry s air filter, or just buy a new intake.

i don't care about sound, i care about performance and gain.

what do you think?

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:51 PM   #6
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
... replace the intake pipe after the air box.
yes, already bought that scoop, intake pipe is the inlet, right?

just curious, what afe intake do you have? i m still considering whether i should use oem paper air filter, drop in afe pro dry s air filter, or just buy a new intake.

i don't care about sound, i care about performance and gain.

what do you think?

thanks.
There are two pipes after the air box, air box to inlet , inlet -> turbo. You can see the differences here. Makes the intake a little louder, but gets rid of the cheese grater sound remover inside that pipe. Also improves air flow + throttle response. Turner sells an alternative, I have mine im selling as well but used of course.

I have no idea oem vs afe or whatever air filter will give a "gain" in the box, just choose one and replace/clean as needed.
Attached Images

MY13: TTE400 Stage 2 turbo, Spec Single Mass flywheel + Stage 3+ Clutch, FTP V2 Turbo Inlet, Evolution Racewerks Charge pipe + Boost pipe + Intercooler, Turbosmart Recirculating Diverter Valve, aFE grill scoop + aFE Magnum Force Cold Air Intake, B58 coil retrofit, eBay Downpipe, Active Autowerke muffler, DW400 LPFP, B58TU HPFP, M5 s63TU injectors, Bimmermilvs, e80 tune by Navardi Tuned. 380 whp/360 wheel torque stock block
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:57 PM   #7
gameson
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There are two pipes after the air box, air box to inlet , inlet -> turbo. You can see the differences here. Makes the intake a little louder, but gets rid of the cheese grater sound remover inside that pipe. Also improves air flow + throttle response. Turner sells an alternative, I have mine im selling as well but used of course.

I have no idea oem vs afe or whatever air filter will give a "gain" in the box, just choose one and replace/clean as needed.
thanks, man, why are you selling this pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
sqwinny
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

thanks, man, why are you selling this pipe?
Big turbo + wanted the intake to be loud so bought the afe magnum power. Eventually covered the filter with their air box cover as a compromise. Thus selling to get space back in my house really as it's just sitting around in the packaging.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
thank you, john. i see that the snow valve is also removed in addition of creating a front grill hole.

what do you think of afe pro dry s performance vs oem air filter when both are in stock airbox/intake? would the pro dry s gain hp/tq or won't matter?
I got that photo from someone else so I haven't seen how the snow Valve works. I wouldn't necessarily remove it unless there was a reason. It doesn't appear to be in the way.

According to my butt dyno the aFe Pro Dry air filter definitely provides a small performance bump. It the first mod I added years ago
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 12:59 AM   #10
Pron1987
Registered
Rep
Drives: garbogini

geometry dash world

Quote:

Yes, some people have done the MPPK airbox mod from the F30 N55 to the N20 lower airbox. The general consensus is that it does make a difference in terms of sound and performance. The MPPK airbox has a larger opening, which allows for more air to flow into the engine. This can result in a slight increase in horsepower and torque. Additionally, the larger opening can also cause the turbo to spool up more quickly, which can improve throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 07:41 AM   #11
Gran dad Coupe
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428i Gran Coupe x-dri

I've done this to my N26 air box along with an ECS high flow drop in filter. I have noticed a little more sound and throttle response. Should have taken pictures
Appreciate 0