F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 Evolution Racewerks TIC
ARMA SPEED

12-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
dominicp11
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

N20 Evolution Racewerks TIC

SO I recently installed a ER Turbo to Intercooler pipe. I've done my own charge pipe, FMIC, inlet and intake plus a new wastegate actuator so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Everything has been smooth until I decided to install this damn TIC.
First, I tried to install without dropping the huge FMIC. This was a big mistake and huge waste of time.

I had to tap one of the FMIC screws to get it out but anyways long story short

-
I used vaseline to slide the silicone hose on the top pipe. It's such a tight fit you need to slide the hose all the way up the pipe and without some kind of lube you can't pull that SOB back down. Vaseline worked like a charm but I think I used too much. I never heard such a WHINING noise before at 2-3RPMS+. I checked after a test drive and the bottom clamp was sliding off. I assumed it was a boost leak so I tightened her back up tighter than before.
I went for another test drive- good for 2 pulls and then WHINING on acceleration. I took a look again and the top clamp looks like it is shimmying off. Tomorrow morning, I am going to tighten the top clamp again as much as I can.

Although I was thinking, could some Vaseline potentially of slid in the turbo and would be causing that noise? After test running, I see some vaseline on the top pipe and it looks like candle wax - like it had been blown out of the pipe which makes me definitely think its a leak. I am really just wondering if the vaseline is going to cause more problems by creeping into the turbo?
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Jonwho2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83 M4

If you want more eyes on this add pictures.
Really specific question lol. I would think if some Vaseline did get into you turbo loop it wouldn't do that much damage. Worse case wouldn't be clogging up some of the ic passages. You said it hardened up like wax? I guess that could be the noise your hearing. You might need to remove it and clean it with a solvent. IF that even breaks down Vaseline. Id do some test and think about flushing it if you want piece of mind.
But 1st check of codes, and take a look at you running temps.
Appreciate 0