F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 electric wastegate actuator adjustment
Studio RSR

12-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2012 528i

N26 electric wastegate actuator adjustment

My son's car (2013 328i xDrive N26) started throwing the drivetrain malfunction error intermittently. It may do it, then on restart it's gone, and then not do it for a while, then come back on again. Code scan shows P0243 which is the wastegate. After doing tons of reading, I'm convinced that likely a small adjustment of the actuator will likely fix this as it's just out of spec now. Unfortunately we are in NH that is not a SULEV/CARB state, so the 15year/150K emissions warranty doesn't help me. (Grrr)

I read about using ISTA/D, and and ENET cable to run the calibration to see how far out is it, and then adjust, with one turn of the collar on the actuator equaling .75mm of armature travel.

Has anyone done this with success, if they haven't messed around with ISTA before? I'm handy, and pretty much fix everything on my own larger boat, but the complexity of these cars scares me a bit. I don't want to toast the car's ECU or mess up programming. To date I've only used bimmercode.

But also some of the stuff I read seems like you're burning money when you may not have to. I read about some shops insisting the whole turbo has to be replaced as well to the tune of about $3000, to others saying just the wastegate and labor is $1100, when the part is only about $300, but could last quite a while longer once adjusted.

I was surprised I didn't find any specific Youtube videos really showing it on the N26. I found just one, on a X3, where it was out of spec by 3mm. He adjusted the collar 4 turns and then it was able to calibrate with ISTA/D and it was fixed. But never having used ISTA/D, and not being 100% sure this is the issue, I wanted to see what the group thought. Worst case I run ISTA/D and find it's not just out of spec and I know I have another issue.

Also too, so many sites offer the download, some free, some not, some torrents, I want to be sure I'm getting the software from a reputable supplier.

Thanks!

Last edited by steveg_nh; 12-14-2021 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
MaverickCruise
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328

An error reported indicating that the error is within the adjustable range,so may be easy to adjustment the actuator.

On my experience, the error will only be reported if it is above 1.5mm,I will test like this with out ISTA:
Adjust 2mm to left,then check or Adjust 2mm to right,then check
Generally can solve the problem

But it’s better to use ISTA to adjust
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
steveg_nh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5, 2012 528i

Thanks, given how intermittent it is, it's a trial and error though. I would love to do it with ISTA, but is this not advisable if you've never used it before? Will independent shops go through this effort, or would they just say "replace the wastegate" or even worse "replace the turbo with the wastegate." I had a shop tell me I had to replace the turbo too, but they didn't have the car, so I'm thinking they may have assuming it was an N20 engine with the pneumatic wastegate vs electric which is much easier to swap without a turbo removal.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 10:56 PM   #4
MaverickCruise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
Thanks, given how intermittent it is, it's a trial and error though. I would love to do it with ISTA, but is this not advisable if you've never used it before? Will independent shops go through this effort, or would they just say "replace the wastegate" or even worse "replace the turbo with the wastegate." I had a shop tell me I had to replace the turbo too, but they didn't have the car, so I'm thinking they may have assuming it was an N20 engine with the pneumatic wastegate vs electric which is much easier to swap without a turbo removal.
I used ISTA before, so I feel that I can roughly adjust without ISTA.
If it is intermittent, you may want to check more places. like intake pipe,boost pipe. And looking for the timing, it appears after the full throttle is released, or when the throttle is full.

I have encountered a similar problem, when JB4 is superimposed on HDP TUNE.
The problem was solved after closing JB4, and use HDP program map alone
I think what I encountered is a logical problem when HDP program and JB4 work together, because there is no problem with using stock program and JB4.

How long has your turbo been used?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:18 PM   #5
MaverickCruise
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think we don't need to replace WASTEGATE before 200,000-300,000 kilometers。
My turbo has used 100,000 kilometers, WASTEGATE looks good, and no loss.
I have 2 turbos, I replaced one of the WASTEGATE, hoping to solve the problem I just mentioned, but not. And the replacement parts are not as good as the original.

I did this because it didn’t cost much in my place
$60 to replace WASTEGATE
$150 to disassembly and assembly of turbine assembly
Attached Images

Last edited by MaverickCruise; 12-17-2021 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
Cali_MSport
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30, 06 325i, 07 328i

I have done this successfully it required me adjusting the actuator rod without using Ista at first until Ista could detect the amount of movement I needed. I turned it half of a full rotation then Itsa told me it was 1.50 mm off so 2 more rotations were required. Worked like a charm. Watch youtube video "bmw turbo wastegate mulfunction". excellent tutorial and diagnosis.

FYI - My drivetrain error was always there..... at first it had been intermittent than it became all the time. If i cleared codes it would return within 10 seconds without even starting the engine.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      01-17-2024, 10:06 PM   #7
HEXDEC
Rep
Drives: BMW 435

Cali_MSport When you say you had to adjust the actuator rod without ISTA at first, what did ISTA ask you to do? Did it mention to replace the turbo or did it say adjust by x amount ? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:58 AM   #8
OlivianKocja
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20

Adjusting the wastegate actuator can be a viable solution for the intermittent drivetrain malfunction error on your son's 2013 328i xDrive N26. However, it's important to proceed with caution and have a good understanding of the process before attempting it.

Here's a step-by-step guide on how to adjust the wastegate actuator using ISTA/D:

Gather the necessary tools and software: You'll need an ENET cable, ISTA/D software, and a laptop or tablet. Ensure that the software is from a reputable supplier to avoid malware or compatibility issues.

Connect the ENET cable to the car's diagnostic port: The diagnostic port is typically located under the dashboard. Refer to your car's manual for the exact location.

Start ISTA/D and connect to the car: Launch ISTA/D and follow the prompts to connect to your car's ECU. You may need to enter your car's VIN number for proper identification.

Navigate to the wastegate actuator calibration module: In ISTA/D, locate the module responsible for controlling the wastegate actuator. This may be under "Engine" or "Powertrain."

Run the wastegate actuator calibration: Initiate the calibration process, which will measure the current position of the wastegate actuator and compare it to the desired specifications.

Adjust the wastegate actuator collar: If the actuator is out of spec, follow the instructions in ISTA/D to adjust the collar on the actuator. One turn of the collar typically corresponds to 0.75 mm of armature travel.

Rerun the calibration: After adjusting the actuator collar, rerun the calibration to ensure that the actuator is now within the correct range.

Clear the trouble codes: Once the calibration is complete, clear the P0243 trouble code from the car's ECU to eliminate the drivetrain malfunction error message.

Remember, if you're not confident in your ability to perform this procedure, it's best to consult a qualified BMW mechanic. They have the expertise and tools to safely and accurately adjust the wastegate actuator, ensuring that your son's car is running smoothly and efficiently.
Appreciate 0