F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Non M-Sport Brake Discs/Pads (Rear)
Extreme Powerhouse

06-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #23
Lt Columbo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Great information here. My iDrive says 1400 miles to change rear and thats conservative according to people round here. Maybe they need doing now...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Columbo View Post
Great information here. My iDrive says 1400 miles to change rear and thats conservative according to people round here. Maybe they need doing now...
You should definitely at least look at all 4 pads now, sometimes they wear unevenly so you could damage the discs which would then need replacing!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Lt Columbo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
You should definitely at least look at all 4 pads now, sometimes they wear unevenly so you could damage the discs which would then need replacing!
Yeah i'll try and take a look at the week end.

Is it a diy job or do you need the caliper rewind tool? I'd love to takle this myself as i know it'll be a lot more from garages. I did buy a bunch of tools to work on my prevoius car but always got stuck with rusted bolts which ultimately lead me to get a garage to do the job!

Worst of all, i dont have anywhere to work on the car as at home my drive is ridiculously steep so resort to working on the car in supermarket car parks lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Columbo View Post
Yeah i'll try and take a look at the week end.

Is it a diy job or do you need the caliper rewind tool? I'd love to takle this myself as i know it'll be a lot more from garages. I did buy a bunch of tools to work on my prevoius car but always got stuck with rusted bolts which ultimately lead me to get a garage to do the job!

Worst of all, i dont have anywhere to work on the car as at home my drive is ridiculously steep so resort to working on the car in supermarket car parks lol.
No rewind tool or bolts (if you have m sport brakes) you just need a hammer and a punch to drive the retaining pins out.

The smallest in this set works a treat:

Am-Tech Parallel Pin Punch Set (5 Pieces) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008PQD7..._ftdvzbS60RR5H
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
Lt Columbo
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
No rewind tool or bolts (if you have m sport brakes) you just need a hammer and a punch to drive the retaining pins out.

The smallest in this set works a treat:

Am-Tech Parallel Pin Punch Set (5 Pieces) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008PQD7..._ftdvzbS60RR5H
Yeah i have the standard brakes so pistons just push back i think. Ive uploaded a pic of my offside rear pad outside. Look pretty low and discs might even change as well as i cant see when they were changed by the service history.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0