F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Non-Avin Carplay Adapter with Avin HU?
ARMA SPEED

08-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Non-Avin Carplay Adapter with Avin HU?

Anyone had any luck with what's available on Amazon?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep

I ended up buying this one from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

... just followed the instructions on the Amazon page.

They give you the link for getting the most up to date APK right there, once that's installed you can update the hardware over wifi using the Avin and the newly installed Autoplay app.

Works like a champ so far!

All apps that we use (Maps, Pandora, etc.) now have reliable data and are speedy, unlike with the Avin
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116d 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikabrak View Post
I ended up buying this one from Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

... just followed the instructions on the Amazon page.

They give you the link for getting the most up to date APK right there, once that's installed you can update the hardware over wifi using the Avin and the newly installed Autoplay app.

Works like a champ so far!

All apps that we use (Maps, Pandora, etc.) now have reliable data and are speedy, unlike with the Avin

Hi,
what about the idrive knob? when you are in the CarPlay app and you click it does it work? or you cannot use it to open the apps and you still have to use the touchscreen?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #4
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
Hi,
what about the idrive knob? when you are in the CarPlay app and you click it does it work? or you cannot use it to open the apps and you still have to use the touchscreen?
The idrive knob does work within CarPay and when you click it, it does work on all screens. Has this been a problem for the Avin supplied adapter?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #5
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
The idrive knob does work within CarPay and when you click it, it does work on all screens. Has this been a problem for the Avin supplied adapter?
I don't have the Avin screen actually, but it's a problem that also Avin owners have, according to other discussions in this forum. Actually, everybody I had a chat with has this problem...
Basically, when I use CarPlay, I can use the knob's wheel to scroll apps, but if I want to open them I must use the touch screen. If I click the knob nothing happens.
Could you please send me a video of you using the knob with carplay? So I can forward it to my supplier, and maybe he'll start to give me some assistance!

Update: I would also need a screenshot of the Andorid/MCU/CarPlay/Dongle versions, so I can check if everything is ok!

Last edited by Bosley; 08-21-2018 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the Avin screen actually, but it's a problem that also Avin owners have, according to other discussions in this forum. Actually, everybody I had a chat with has this problem...
Basically, when I use CarPlay, I can use the knob's wheel to scroll apps, but if I want to open them I must use the touch screen. If I click the knob nothing happens.
Could you please send me a video of you using the knob with carplay? So I can forward it to my supplier, and maybe he'll start to give me some assistance!

Update: I would also need a screenshot of the Andorid/MCU/CarPlay/Dongle versions, so I can check if everything is ok!
Video here...

Overall this is a perfect experience so far. So much better than relying on the Avin to do Nav and Music.

Last edited by brikabrak; 08-21-2018 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Video here...

Overall this is a perfect experience so far. So much better than relying on the Avin to do Nav and Music.
What was your original system? NBT or CIC?
I really cannot figure out why it does not work on mine!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep

CIC - HUEntry (Non Nav 6.5")
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:10 AM   #9
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
CIC - HUEntry (Non Nav 6.5")
That's the same I have..
The reseller used to say that I cannot have this function because my car didn't have the NBT, now he has no excuses!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
brikabrak
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's the same I have..
The reseller used to say that I cannot have this function because my car didn't have the NBT, now he has no excuses!
Maybe try the amazon sourced carplay adapter and see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 01:20 AM   #11
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Maybe try the amazon sourced carplay adapter and see if it makes a difference.
Just another question.. When you check for updates in the CarPlay settings (both carplay and box updates), do you have any available?
Because I've just checked and I've got a more recent version than your :S
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

The Android 4.4 and 7.1 are different systems also from hardware point of view.
Really dont know if its possible with 7.1.... you rely on the software developer if its possible with the hardware..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:45 AM   #13
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRuw View Post
The Android 4.4 and 7.1 are different systems also from hardware point of view.
Really dont know if its possible with 7.1.... you rely on the software developer if its possible with the hardware..
Yeah.. Maybe the issue is with android 7.1.. but it sounds strange that with the new HU we have less functionalities..

Just to be sure I'll try to update the android version and the MCU..

Anyway.. brikabrak When you go to factory settings, did you find your Car Type? I cannot find the CIC 6.5" f20.. Maybe that could be the problem..
Could you please check which car type did you select? and also which idrive (A or B), also the the factory setting..

Thanks a lot for your support
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
Mavverick
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Just wanted to re up this thread. Not being able to click with the iDrive controller on the CarPlay side is driving me crazy. I'm tempted to purchase the adapter brikabrak has to see if that changes anything. Has anyone found a solution for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #15
ssshake
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe 2009

any update here? I have the same problem. I can scroll, I can't click.

I have an e90, with CIC. I have an "avin" unit with android 7.1.

I also bought a zbox dongle and that one doesnt work with the idrive controller at all. IF anyone wants to buy it from me for touch only use please PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:43 AM   #16
Bosley
Private First Class
Italy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavverick View Post
Just wanted to re up this thread. Not being able to click with the iDrive controller on the CarPlay side is driving me crazy. I'm tempted to purchase the adapter brikabrak has to see if that changes anything. Has anyone found a solution for this?
You need to update the AutoPlay to the latest version..
Then when you open the app (without connecting the phone), you click on "Settings", you search for the app version, you click on it, hold it and scroll up for about 3-4 times and an hidden menu will open.
Then there you have the possibility to set the "back" button as select button...
So when you are using CarPlay you just click "Back"instead of clicking the idrive, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
Mavverick
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
You need to update the AutoPlay to the latest version..
Then when you open the app (without connecting the phone), you click on "Settings", you search for the app version, you click on it, hold it and scroll up for about 3-4 times and an hidden menu will open.
Then there you have the possibility to set the "back" button as select button...
So when you are using CarPlay you just click "Back"instead of clicking the idrive, but once you get used to it, it's not that bad
Appreciate the response. I am using an adapter that uses the AutoKit app. Essentially the same app, but it seems the AutoKit app has a password field that pops up when holding the app version number. May just have to buy a new adapter.
Appreciate 0