F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New 328i - What's wring with it??
GetBMWParts

06-06-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i x drive

New 328i - What's wring with it??

Posted a few times without many responses, so giving it another shot.

My new 328i won't go into sport or eco mode via the drive control experience buttons. My check control shows all systems are fine.

Could a weak battery be the culprit? Immediately prior to the Buttons failing, I hand washed my car, which took roughly 2 hours. I'm not entirely sure, but I think my phone stayed connected during this time. Could this have drained my battery?

If I press the buttons the I drive screen displays comfort mode, so it's recognizing the button just not executing on it
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Are your tires inflated properly?
      06-06-2019, 12:23 PM   #3
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
Yes. Checked that and reset.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Have you tried pulling the codes? They should give a start in fixing your issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKen View Post
Have you tried pulling the codes? They should give a start in fixing your issue.
I brought it back to the dealer I bought it from (not bmw) and they didn't see anything. I have an apt tomorrow with an authorized dealer to have a diagnostic, but I was hoping I could figure it out before-hand.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Also-The DSC button directly in front of the driving mode button quit working. If I press it, nothing happens, as it should light up on my cluster.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It could be as simple as an unplugged connector.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #8
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Where can I find this? This is my first bmw btw

Also-when this happened I was in SPORT mode via the switch (not shifter) when I tried switching back to comfort it was being intermittent. I had to press the down arrow 3-4 times to get back to comfort and then it worked. Tried to go back into sport and that's when I realized it wasn't working. I tried pressing it multiple times but it wouldn't make the switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhizzurpF View Post
Quote:

Also-when this happened I was in SPORT mode via the switch (not shifter) when I tried switching back to comfort it was being intermittent. I had to press the down arrow 3-4 times to get back to comfort and then it worked. Tried to go back into sport and that's when I realized it wasn't working. I tried pressing it multiple times but it wouldn't make the switch.
One more thing-yesterday when I got into my car for the first time it started in ECO mode. Since I though the button was broken, I thought I was stuck in eco, but I was actually able to click the switch to comfort and it worked?? Once I was in comfort, however, I was once again "stuck"
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Sounds like some bad hardware there....anything sticky in there? Thinking someone might have spilled a drink there at some point but it's just a thought.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #11
Nh5651
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One more thing-yesterday when I got into my car for the first time it started in ECO mode. Since I though the button was broken, I thought I was stuck in eco, but I was actually able to click the switch to comfort and it worked?? Once I was in comfort, however, I was once again "stuck"
You sure it started in eco, I think the default is always comfort
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I had a loaner that stayed in D with stick to the left. Was likely something wasn't plugged in. Wouldn't move back when I pressed the P button either.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #13
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
If the tires are not inflated properly, idrive will have a popup tho, as well as the " ! " on the dash. If it doesn't pop up, I don't think that's the culprit. He needs to do an OBD scan or else it's all just guess work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh5651 View Post
No, you can start in eco as default, I coded mine to do that, I drive in eco until the engine warms up a bit.

Quote:
Ok, the problem is definitely not the tire pressure, if your tires are not inflated properly, you cannot drop down to eco pro mode or go up to sport/sport+.
      06-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh5651 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Positive it started in eco. I usually turn the start stop off but I had it activated the previous drive. When it started and I saw I was in eco I was worried I would t be able to toggle back, but I was actually able to press the button and go back to comfort
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #15
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
I had a loaner that stayed in D with stick to the left. Was likely something wasn't plugged in. Wouldn't move back when I pressed the P button either.
I can move the shifter to the left and get into S mode just fine. It's only the drive mode button to toggle between sport and eco that doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #16
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
Sounds like some bad hardware there....anything sticky in there? Thinking someone might have spilled a drink there at some point but it's just a thought.
I thought that as well, but I didn't spill anything in it. Also, the I drive screen displays the driving mode once I press the button, so it seems like the button itself is active, but he car won't actually switch modes
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00
      06-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If the display shows it changes modes it probably does. It's difficult to tell the difference between Eco and Comfort. Between Comfort and Sport it's easy to tell, the transmission will go to a lower gear, and you'll see the RPMs go up.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #18
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If the display shows it changes modes it probably does. It's difficult to tell the difference between Eco and Comfort. Between Comfort and Sport it's easy to tell, the transmission will go to a lower gear, and you'll see the RPMs go up.
Sorry-I wasn't clear. The display doesn't actually show it switching from comfort to sport. Once I press up on the button to go to sport, the display just has a pop-up that shows I'm in comfort mode. When it's working correctly it would show the sport mode display. Perhaps I'll take a video to demonstrate

RPMs don't change
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #19
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

...my guess is previous owner spilled something on console and now that its dry and caked, might b causing wiring short under button ( especially since sport appears to activate by moving shifter, but not with button).
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 03:26 AM   #20
Imperial328i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MGM 328i, 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymerckx3 View Post
...my guess is previous owner spilled something on console and now that its dry and caked, might b causing wiring short under button ( especially since sport appears to activate by moving shifter, but not with button).
As an avionics technician, this makes the most sense to me. The computers aren't designed to monitor the function of the switches, so that's probably why you haven't seen any errors. Look on realoem.com for that part. Don't think it's very speedy.
      06-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #21
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
I thought that as well, but I didn't spill anything in it. Also, the I drive screen displays the driving mode once I press the button, so it seems like the button itself is active, but he car won't actually switch modes
Yep, definitely not that then.

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #22
PhizzurpF
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's at the dealer now. Will update the forum when diagnostic is complete!
Appreciate 1
jeffc83725.00