F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Discussion - Dead battery prevention
GetBMWParts

04-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #67
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
I have a charger that says up to a 2 litre, but I have a 3 litre. Will it be ok to use?
Charger, or jump starter ?

I'm not aware that chargers are sold on the basis of engine size. Battery capacity and type (i.e. AGM), yes, but not engine size.
It's this one.
I'm sure it said on the packaging up to 2.0L as the only other thing I can think of is my battery jump starter but that's up to 3.0L
Attached Images

04-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #68
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Plugged mine in earlier, was expecting ~60% or more.

One bar indicating 25% or less! Really glad I got this in the end, going to leave it on for 2 days and top up each weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #69
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Plugged mine in earlier, was expecting ~60% or more.

One bar indicating 25% or less! Really glad I got this in the end, going to leave it on for 2 days and top up each weekend.
Likewise, put the Disco on at lunchtime and it was below 25%. Only covered about 3 miles in the last fortnight and little before that, so not entirely surprising.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 04:38 PM   #70
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hmm, something seems up with my trickle charger. Still stuck on the first bar (sub 25%).

Earlier it got to all 4 bars after just 4 hours but that wasn’t believable so turned the socket off and back on again, down to 1 bad.

Seems like something is off with it, will find out later if it’s still stuck on 1 bar.

Edit:

Something is definitely up. 8 hours on charge (confirmed with regular checks on the led lights).

Setting: AGM 12V - 1 bar.

Twice today indicated up to 4 bars and green, only for me to switch off and back on again for it to drop down to 1 bar.

At the end of the night via hidden menu voltage indicating 13.6 whilst idle, and 12.0V resting after a few minutes (having dropped from 12.6 -> 12.4 ->12.2 ->12.1 then 12.0V stable).

Connections are the Positive terminal under the plastic cap on the left side of engine bay, with a earth bolt to the far top left. This was then swapped to another earth point already being utilised by a cable fixed to it. On both occasions the trickle charger indicated it was charging.

3-4 hours in I open up the bonnet to check its charging, on 1 bar, then quickly goes to 2 bars, then 3 and 4 within minutes. Glowing green to indicate fully charged.

Unplug from mains and reconnect. Same story again after a while and I reset. However after the second off and on cycle it wouldn’t budge from 25%.

It was colder this evening, approx 7 Celsius. Not sure if that had an effect but feel like I’ve got a dummy charger.

Car started fine 4 times in the previous few weeks. Recent journey few days ago approx 25 miles round journey.

Last edited by KTE; 04-25-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:10 AM   #71
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Hmm, something seems up with my trickle charger. Still stuck on the first bar (sub 25%).

Earlier it got to all 4 bars after just 4 hours but that wasn’t believable so turned the socket off and back on again, down to 1 bad.

Seems like something is off with it, will find out later if it’s still stuck on 1 bar.

Edit:

Something is definitely up. 8 hours on charge (confirmed with regular checks on the led lights).

Setting: AGM 12V - 1 bar.

Twice today indicated up to 4 bars and green, only for me to switch off and back on again for it to drop down to 1 bar.

At the end of the night via hidden menu voltage indicating 13.6 whilst idle, and 12.0V resting after a few minutes (having dropped from 12.6 -> 12.4 ->12.2 ->12.1 then 12.0V stable).

Connections are the Positive terminal under the plastic cap on the left side of engine bay, with a earth bolt to the far top left. This was then swapped to another earth point already being utilised by a cable fixed to it. On both occasions the trickle charger indicated it was charging.

3-4 hours in I open up the bonnet to check its charging, on 1 bar, then quickly goes to 2 bars, then 3 and 4 within minutes. Glowing green to indicate fully charged.

Unplug from mains and reconnect. Same story again after a while and I reset. However after the second off and on cycle it wouldn’t budge from 25%.

It was colder this evening, approx 7 Celsius. Not sure if that had an effect but feel like I’ve got a dummy charger.

Car started fine 4 times in the previous few weeks. Recent journey few days ago approx 25 miles round journey.
If I've read your post correctly, mine does this. It takes a few minutes to fully establish the state of charge. Initially when plugged in, one bar, then through each level to fully charged within a few minutes. This was in 12v mode on the Auris. When the battery is genuinely low, as at first use on that and on the Discovery in AGM mode yesterday, it sticks around for a couple of hours on each level - so clearly that is actually charging.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #72
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just feel the readings are inaccurate. For it to quickly charge within 4 hours increasing from 1 bar (25% or less as indicated in the guidebook) to green flashing which is full but in ‘maintenance’ mode was a bit weird, based on a 5Ah charge rate on a 90/95Ah capacity battery.

If it had still been green after I flicked power off/on again after 10-30 minutes I would agree, but after each cycle of power flicks it takes several hours and stuck on 1 bar.

One theory is that each time I close the boot something moves ever so slightly and it’s not charging. Other suspect is the initial ‘ground’ source. Currently charging and at 75% so waiting till it hits higher and will then unplug and reconnect waiting 10 minutes or so to ensure it’s accurate.

Voltage reading yesterday night at rest was 12.0 after several minutes with charger showing 25% or less.

Car on ignition was 11.7 this morning whilst above 25% or more reading. Can’t make sense of it tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 08:00 AM   #73
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Voltage reading yesterday night at rest was 12.0 after several minutes with charger showing 25% or less.

Car on ignition was 11.7 this morning whilst above 25% or more reading. Can’t make sense of it tbh.
Your voltage readings, where are you taking them? From the under bonnet terminals, while still awake or asleep?

What's the voltage while the charger is connected and charging? 14.4 - 14.7V?

Best to check voltage when the car is locked and asleep. I leave a pair of leads connected, (tuck ends under the wheel arch), can go back and check without unlocking. Say an hour later and 24 hours later. (For example, 12.58V after an hour and 12.54V, 24 hours later). Then you get the best 'easy' reading, with the battery connected and systems sleeping.

At the same time I've read 12.5V asleep, open the car and read from the 12V socket and the voltage will be about 12.2V. Typically a 0.3V drop with car awake and prepped for a start.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 10:26 AM   #74
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Your voltage readings, where are you taking them? From the under bonnet terminals, while still awake or asleep?

What's the voltage while the charger is connected and charging? 14.4 - 14.7V?

Best to check voltage when the car is locked and asleep. I leave a pair of leads connected, (tuck ends under the wheel arch), can go back and check without unlocking. Say an hour later and 24 hours later. (For example, 12.58V after an hour and 12.54V, 24 hours later). Then you get the best 'easy' reading, with the battery connected and systems sleeping.

At the same time I've read 12.5V asleep, open the car and read from the 12V socket and the voltage will be about 12.2V. Typically a 0.3V drop with car awake and prepped for a start.

Will try and get a Multimeter and do these. Unfortunately not in a garage and shared resident parking which is a little like a shared drive so can use a long extension.

Readings are from the cluster hidden menu.

It’s just so weird every time after a while I check up on the charger it reports 75%+ and then takes a long while to reach that again, like say another 4-5 hours.

Had it plugged in since noon, checked at 4pm and it was 75% or more, went to do cluster readings with ignition on and off a few times, had it reporting 11.9V and then check the charger to find its back down to 1 bar @ 25% or less.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:10 AM   #75
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I used the old fashioned recharge method, 35 mins at a varied speed going the long route on an essential journey. Last bit was 7 miles at 70mph*

Was worrying about going the long way on my essential journey till I saw every car park on the side of the road near Ashridge rammed, and the roads full of lycra clad cyclists clearly doing one hour of exercise (in one case, must have been why he needed to stop for lunch and was consulting a map...)

Car should be ok for another week now....

* 70ish. Might have been 68 at some stages. Never higher officer.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #76
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I used the old fashioned recharge method, 35 mins at a varied speed going the long route on an essential journey. Last bit was 7 miles at 70mph*

Was worrying about going the long way on my essential journey till I saw every car park on the side of the road near Ashridge rammed, and the roads full of lycra clad cyclists clearly doing one hour of exercise (in one case, must have been why he needed to stop for lunch and was consulting a map...)

Car should be ok for another week now....

* 70ish. Might have been 68 at some stages. Never higher officer.

Would much prefer to do it this way but parking is so scarce, construction works have been ignorant taking over space with 1-2 days notice (weekends) and now have closed off 2 streets worth of parking for resurfacing (2 weeks!!!) - if I leave for even 2 seconds the spot is gone and the next nearest area to park is a good mile away.

This is why I wanted to top up this weekend because I’ll unlikely be able to move the next 2 weeks. Just concerned I have a defective charger.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #77
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Would much prefer to do it this way but parking is so scarce, construction works have been ignorant taking over space with 1-2 days notice (weekends) and now have closed off 2 streets worth of parking for resurfacing (2 weeks!!!) - if I leave for even 2 seconds the spot is gone and the next nearest area to park is a good mile away.

This is why I wanted to top up this weekend because I’ll unlikely be able to move the next 2 weeks. Just concerned I have a defective charger.
Absolutely, under those circs I would probably never move my car!
Appreciate 0