F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 330e ICE not turning off in AUTO eDrive
proTUNING Freaks

11-16-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330e

330e ICE not turning off in AUTO eDrive

I would swear I've come across a thread with a similar title, but I've been searching for half an hour and can't find it so I figured I'd make a new one.

So with the 330e in AUTO eDrive mode (and with a sufficiently charged battery) you normally drive on the electric motor. If extra power is required, the ICE kicks in BUT it will shut off when no longer needed (e.g. city driving).
Today I noticed that after the ICE had kicked in, it would no longer turn off by itself, like it normally would. Not even when creeping into a parking spot with my foot on the brake (the engine was up to temp by that time). For some reason the ICE just keeps running when driving. I can force it to turn off by switching to MAX eDrive mode, and then I can just drive on the electric motor. The car should however switch between ICE and electric itself when in auto mode. I think simpler put, the problem is start-stop doesn't work anymore (the start-stop system also sort of controls turning on/off the ICE while driving I guess).

A couple months back I was scanning this forum for threads tagged with 330e, to see what problems other people have experienced, just to prepare myself. I remember seeing one where someone complained that their ICE wouldn't turn off and IIRC someone suggested changing the aux battery under the hood. However I don't know if that ended up fixing the problem or not.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #2
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

I should add that I will be scanning the car for codes tomorrow night. I'm just trying to gather some info in the meantime.

I downloaded Ista last week but the enet cable is still on its way from China, so I will borrow a friend's cable tomorrow night. I was planning to get myself a bluetooth scantool for Christmas as well, thinking that the chance of needing one before then wasn't high anyway... I should've known
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
julian204
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quick update in case anyone finds this thread in the future and is wondering if I ended up finding a solution.

Glad to report all is well again! I scanned the car for codes with ISTA. Found 17 codes but none of them had anything to do with any of the batteries or with the start-stop system. I cleared all the codes and went for a drive. Somehow this fixed the issue. After I got back I scanned the car again and it showed 0 codes.
Seems like sometimes just clearing the codes is enough to fix an issue.
Appreciate 1