F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > GTS metal hood
Extreme Powerhouse

10-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #23
Johnny250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i9114s View Post
Anyone have any input regarding water coming through the vent and into the engine bay? Or if its safe during a crash?
The vent actually just goes to the front area where the hood latches/headlights are. Water doesn't really flow to the engine direction at all. Just wash your car, try not to spray too much water near the vent if possible, and dry underneath your hood after you are done.

Not sure about your question in regards to a crash, it'll probably be the same as if you had a normal hood.

EBII F31 328d Build Here
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 05:40 PM   #24
BMW DRIVEN
Instagram: @bmwdriven_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff80m3 View Post
It comes with the vent blocker thing so no water seeps in. I use that when its raining and take it back out when the weather is nicer. But it rarely rains here in So Cal so.
I'm in Socal too. Where did you get the vent blocker?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #25
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30 Luxury Line

Garage List
Ordered a GTS hood from Bimmerworld. From what I've found in researching the water worries, there isn't anything to worry about. Of course you don't spray directly into the vent when washing. You can always pop the hood and wipe her down if need be afterwards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #26
mike082802
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dís_f30 View Post
Ordered a GTS hood from Bimmerworld. From what I've found in researching the water worries, there isn't anything to worry about. Of course you don't spray directly into the vent when washing. You can always pop the hood and wipe her down if need be afterwards.
how long did that take to get once you ordered and what did they bang you for shipping?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 08:53 PM   #27
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike082802 View Post
how long did that take to get once you ordered and what did they bang you for shipping?
thanks

It took a week to arrive and I think it was around $150 maybe for shipping from Cali to FL, I don't remember for sure though. Bimmerworld could give ya a more accurate answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #28
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I've had my car back from the paint shop for a lil over a week. It's been in the rain from the recent East Coast storms (parked and driving) and I've manually washed it in a wash bay (without spraying directly into the hood vent). No issues or concerns with the vent and water. I would say that with this hood and an open air CAI, it would be a good idea to get a waterproof dust cover for the filter if you do not have a heat shield on top of it. Without it, I would imagine that the filter would wear our quicker from getting dirtier quicker and getting wet (not enough to cause hydrolock) or damp.

My engine bay isn't really that clean, that way I could see where the water would go. You can see in the popped hood pic that the water goes just as previously mentioned in another post, to the front near the hood latch / headlight area.
Attached Images

Last edited by dís_f30; 07-30-2021 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
FL_F306.00
      08-03-2021, 11:37 PM   #29
FL_F30
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dís_f30 View Post
I've had my car back from the paint shop for a lil over a week. It's been in the rain from the recent East Coast storms (parked and driving) and I've manually washed it in a wash bay (without spraying directly into the hood vent). No issues or concerns with the vent and water. I would say that with this hood and an open air CAI, it would be a good idea to get a waterproof dust cover for the filter if you do not have a heat shield on top of it. Without it, I would imagine that the filter would wear our quicker from getting dirtier quicker and getting wet (not enough to cause hydrolock) or damp.

My engine bay isn't really that clean, that way I could see where the water would go. You can see in the popped hood pic that the water goes just as previously mentioned in another post, to the front near the hood latch / headlight area.
Wow this looks awesome. I have a Glacier Silver 335 & want to get a GTS hood. I'm in Orlando. What shop did you go to & how much did it cost to get painted & put on?

Also, how long did it take the shop?
      08-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #30
dís_f30
G
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_F30 View Post
Wow this looks awesome. I have a Glacier Silver 335 & want to get a GTS hood. I'm in Orlando. What shop did you go to & how much did it cost to get painted & put on?

Also, how long did it take the shop?
I'm a lil North of Jacksonville, in Fernandina Beach and I used a local shop. I installed it and took it to the shop for paint. Cost to paint just the hood, both sides, was around $650 for my paint color. It took a week for me because I had the hood, front bumper, fenders and side skirts all done at the same time.
Appreciate 0