F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > GVB DV+ issue
Extreme Powerhouse

03-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #67
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

I have the turbosmart bov installed with no issues. The car feels great and it seems like it can hold better boost.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2020, 11:43 PM   #68
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The MAF is the first sensor used to tell the DME how much fuel needs to be added to achieve targeted lambda. It is extremely sensitive and accurate, as evidenced by how it is disturbed by aftermarket intake shapes and/or oily air filters. The O2 sensor is then used for fuel trims (e.g., STFT) to make corrections to the amount of fuel compared with what was determined using the MAF readings. Letting in (as you mentioned above) or out (as with a VTA BOV) unmetered air is definitely not ideal. As i mentioned however the question or whether or not it is going to tangibly affect performance basically depends on the magnitude of the extra air in or portion of air out compared with what was measured relatively to how much deviation can be easily corrected using the O2 sensor and fuel trims. There may be a negligible impact, we just need some data to support it.

Having said all that i would never install a VTA BOV on a car that came recirculating from the factory, but that's just me, and i know other people will. Probably the same people that add extra burbles - to each his own.
I'm getting the dual port installed today, and I have a track day on saturday so testing will be interesting, I do have a before log with the DV+ installed, so I'll send both to compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
I have yet to find an argument for the Turbosmart - except spending money on the car and tju tju sounds (dual port).

Is there an argument...?
Today is your lucky day I'm getting the dual port installed and I'll provide you your favorite thing ever: comparison logs.
gphung193.50
AmuroRay2267.50
      09-18-2020, 01:50 AM   #69
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
I'm getting the dual port installed today, and I have a track day on saturday so testing will be interesting, I do have a before log with the DV+ installed, so I'll send both to compare.

Today is your lucky day I'm getting the dual port installed and I'll provide you your favorite thing ever: comparison logs.
Wife is angry but now I suddenly dont care anymore
      09-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #70
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:

Nice, as for the logs, a multi gear log with WOT shifts should shed some light on what impact the dual port has on holding boost between shifts. A single gear log may not reveal the differences between dual port and plumb back.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      09-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #71
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Nice, as for the logs, a multi gear log with WOT shifts should shed some light on what impact the dual port has on holding boost between shifts. A single gear log may not reveal the differences between dual port and plumb back.
My logs are always multi-gear, 2nd gear 2500rpm to 5th gear 6500rpm.
      09-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #72
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Wife is angry but now I suddenly dont care anymore
Quote:
So I did some logs.

First things first, the sound this thing makes is ridiculous, it's not obnoxious but you get a nice whoosh and small flutter.

Second thing, I'm getting a code like the two others, Diverter valve, actuation cable disruption. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I'm sending a email to turbosmart to try to see what it is. When the mechanic took out the DV+, it was pretty bad, it had some crusty oil around it and it seems like you do need to oil it or it will stick. Unfortunately, he also lost the top long extended bolt.

If anyone wants to buy my DV+, I'll sell it for 70$

Third thing, here's the logs.

GFB DV+

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f55...0b4351832dd8a9

Turbosmart Dual Port VR9

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f64...0b4348f8afd2c0

Ignoring the timing as I just changed gas stations, I could see that the WGDC is slightly lower, and there's less overboost. I'll continue to monitor the code and log more as I go.
      09-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #73
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Noticed the WGDC, but yeah, the timing was all over the place.
      09-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #74
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So I did some logs.

First things first, the sound this thing makes is ridiculous, it's not obnoxious but you get a nice whoosh and small flutter.

Second thing, I'm getting a code like the two others, Diverter valve, actuation cable disruption. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I'm sending a email to turbosmart to try to see what it is. When the mechanic took out the DV+, it was pretty bad, it had some crusty oil around it and it seems like you do need to oil it or it will stick. Unfortunately, he also lost the top long extended bolt.

GFB DV+

Turbosmart Dual Port VR9

Ignoring the timing as I just changed gas stations, I could see that the WGDC is slightly lower, and there's less overboost. I'll continue to monitor the code and log more as I go.
Are you looking at the overboost right after the 2-3 shift?

Also very interested to see their response, because getting a CEL for a DV is a dealbreaker for me.

Have any pictures of the removed DV+ and how many miles were on it / age?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:17 PM   #75
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I never heard about a CEL before.
      09-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #76
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I never heard about a CEL before.
Sorry, meant code, not CEL. I assume its just a code and doesnt actually throw a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #77
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Are you looking at the overboost right after the 2-3 shift?

Also very interested to see their response, because getting a CEL for a DV is a dealbreaker for me.

Have any pictures of the removed DV+ and how many miles were on it / age?
Yeah, the 2-3 shift as you can see, overboost was less, and didn't take too long to fix itself compared to the DV+

Here's your pictures of the DV+

Overall in good condition other than the oil around it, and I think about maybe 60-70k miles? I'm not too sure.

I got off the phone with Turbosmart and they stated that they sent it to their tech team and they'll look into it to make sure, but they stated that the code is there since you replaced the entire DV, it's a brand new unit and not the OEM DV, they also stated that the plumb version does have a slightly stiffer spring and it might have a jammed closed code at low rpm but will work as intended in the high rpm. There's nothing wrong with either codes basically. They'll get back to me next week after their tech team confirms this.

But there is no CEL at all, and the car runs great.

I do have a lapping day tomorrow, so I'll do a giant log for the session.

09-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #78
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the 2-3 shift as you can see, overboost was less, and didn't take too long to fix itself compared to the DV+

Overall in good condition other than the oil around it, and I think about maybe 60-70k miles? I'm not too sure.

I got off the phone with Turbosmart and they stated that they sent it to their tech team and they'll look into it to make sure, but they stated that the code is there since you replaced the entire DV, it's a brand new unit and not the OEM DV, they also stated that the plumb version does have a slightly stiffer spring and it might have a jammed closed code at low rpm but will work as intended in the high rpm. There's nothing wrong with either codes basically. They'll get back to me next week after their tech team confirms this.

Great, thanks for the pics and info. A DV is still a "one day" upgrade for me. After the MST inlet and my MPPK airbox mod, i find it hard to see how throttle response could be further improved. And no evidence of my DV performance lacking. For once i am trying to enjoy the car and not feel the need to constantly work on it, lol. We'll see how long that lasts...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #79
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the pics and info. A DV is still a "one day" upgrade for me. After the MST inlet and my MPPK airbox mod, i find it hard to see how throttle response could be further improved. And no evidence of my DV performance lacking. For once i am trying to enjoy the car and not feel the need to constantly work on it, lol. We'll see how long that lasts...
Personally, if this turbosmart ever goes on sale (whether 50 or 100$ off) I'd jump on it in your situation, I wouldn't pay full price for it. You can probably pick one up during black friday sale, it's worth it as it does hold boost really well, has less overboost (probably a major thing for PWG cars)

Not to mention you don't have to worry about maintenance of the DV, just install and forget.
      09-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #80
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Personally, if this turbosmart ever goes on sale (whether 50 or 100$ off) I'd jump on it in your situation, I wouldn't pay full price for it. You can probably pick one up during black friday sale, it's worth it as it does hold boost really well, has less overboost (probably a major thing for PWG cars)

Not to mention you don't have to worry about maintenance of the DV, just install and forget.
I am carefully watching for upcoming black Friday sales... got my fabspeed last year at a substantial discount. That might be when i do it since i have no other mods on my radar at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 05:23 PM   #81
Blahx9
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i

Got my turbosmart bov last week along with the MST v2 inlet. Gosh it sounds amazing.

Pre BOV:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f5c...90c62dfcacc86a

Post BOV:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f64...0b4348f8afd279
      09-19-2020, 08:36 PM   #82
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:

Mppk airbox mod worth it at all? Have been considering it but feel like it might just be a waste of time and effort for a barely noticeable addition of intake noise
      09-20-2020, 09:25 AM   #83
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I am carefully watching for upcoming black Friday sales... got my fabspeed last year at a substantial discount. That might be when i do it since i have no other mods on my radar at the moment.
Question for you, do you know where the DV electric connector comes from? Like from where it plugs into the DV/BOV. I tried to trace the cable back to where it comes from but there's so much shit in the way, I couldn't do it without taking apart everything, also tried looking online at manuals but couldn't find any info.
      09-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #84
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahx9 View Post
Got my turbosmart bov last week along with the MST v2 inlet. Gosh it sounds amazing.

Pre BOV:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f5c...90c62dfcacc86a

Post BOV:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5f64...0b4348f8afd279
I don't see any significant difference. Can you do multiple gear log. Did you get recirc or vent to air? Do you notice any difference other than sound?
      09-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #85
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
I don't see any significant difference. Can you do multiple gear log. Did you get recirc or vent to air? Do you notice any difference other than sound?
From what I can see, it has slightly lower WGDC, but usually you should see some difference during the multi gear changes. I do notice that PWG gets more of a benefit from it then EWG does.
      09-20-2020, 01:19 PM   #86
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Mppk airbox mod worth it at all? Have been considering it but feel like it might just be a waste of time and effort for a barely noticeable addition of intake noise
IMO, yes. While the MST v2 install made the biggest difference in tangible throttle response improvment, the MPPK mod with the MST inlet seemed to every so slightly decrease WGDC further and improve throttle response a little more. It does sound/feel like the car is breathing easier. I emphasize with the inlet because i think installing the inlet is what moves the 'choke point' of the intake system up to the stock airbox bottom. Without the inlet, doing anything upstream intake-wise may not help much.

I documnted everything in the inlet thread, specifically my post here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=173

You will also see a gallery of how i did the MPPK mod - i didnt just drill the holes (thought that was ghetto), but rather copied the shape of the MPPK box and cut that hole, and modified my snowflap without completely deleting so as to not block airflow from the front opening.
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #87
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Question for you, do you know where the DV electric connector comes from? Like from where it plugs into the DV/BOV. I tried to trace the cable back to where it comes from but there's so much shit in the way, I couldn't do it without taking apart everything, also tried looking online at manuals but couldn't find any info.
I do not sorry. Haven't installed a DV yet myself. Perhaps BMWDIYGUY knows as he did a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #88
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
So I did some logs.

GFB DV+

Turbosmart Dual Port VR9

Ehmmmm those logs...? You run a PS2 on the 2H map but underboost 5psi up top. Even though missing 5psi (!!) your timing is still very inconsistent. Running 91 on the 93 map?

Also why is the boost target fixed at 17.9? Should this not adjust depending on load request?

Try to compare to this MHD PS2 OTS. There is a load target that is actually being followed quite precisely and boost target is adjusted along the way to do this. https://datazap.me/u/harkes/ps2-ots-...a=3-5-10-11-16

Fearing to start a war here but that 2H looks very crude and hasn't improved since I stopped using it ~2 years ago.

PS: Not saying that the MHD is perfect - cause it also has its issues, but I think these are more related to PWG in general that is just a B*TCH to tune.

PPS: I consider my custom tune "finished" (will drive it for a few weeks to see if anything to tweak). Work done by Fabian from PureBoost and he was the only person of 3 "high profile" tuners that managed to make a working tune for my car. Biggest issue I still have is the post shift overboost but it seems to be either that or a dip in performance which I can feel in the car.
100-200kmh in 7.5sec https://datazap.me/u/harkes/fabian-v...a=3-5-11-12-17

Last edited by harkes; 09-20-2020 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0