F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > [90% complete] [USB AND STEREO BT WORKING!] DIY HU_NBT Retrofit
Studio RSR

02-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #419
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
Yeah the full set for me was going to work out at £30, not cheap. It ended up only costing £10 since I only used the female cable and four pins (which come with wires connected).

What I will say now I've gone to all the trouble of getting the Touch controller working is that if I'd have know how limited use it is in the iDrive I wouldn't have bothered. I'd have stayed with the simple No Nav controller and saved close to £300.
Did you end up flashing your NBT to 51.3 or did you just FDL code all the Touch ZBE options?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #420
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

No I haven't flash it and I have no idea what version it is currently on. Not sure I can find a way to tell.

I didn't have to FDL code the NBT because my MFG date means the car with 609 would have come with the ZBE3 as standard. VO coding was enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #421
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 525i

I am about to do this retrofit for a friend of mine whose car is 2013/09 3GT. The car has HU_Entry, 6NS(has 6FL and bluetooth), and Hi Fi Amp.
Read this whole thread several times but there are something I am still not clear and please help me out

1. Do I have to disconnect the 16 pin connector from the combox? If I have to do this, will I lose the telephone bluetooth?
2. at step 12 of this write up, it says I need to disconnect the USB connector from the armrest and move it to the back vent. I am confused about doing this. Helps.
3. I have to reroute USB/AUX connectors from the trunk to the head unit for this retrofit. In the future if I have to bring the car back to the dealer for programming, how do I recover it back? Or just leave it alone?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #422
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminXX View Post
I am about to do this retrofit for a friend of mine whose car is 2013/09 3GT. The car has HU_Entry, 6NS(has 6FL and bluetooth), and Hi Fi Amp.
Read this whole thread several times but there are something I am still not clear and please help me out

1. Do I have to disconnect the 16 pin connector from the combox? If I have to do this, will I lose the telephone bluetooth?
2. at step 12 of this write up, it says I need to disconnect the USB connector from the armrest and move it to the back vent. I am confused about doing this. Helps.
3. I have to reroute USB/AUX connectors from the trunk to the head unit for this retrofit. In the future if I have to bring the car back to the dealer for programming, how do I recover it back? Or just leave it alone?
Whilst I have not yet done the retrofit, I have been into what needs to be done.

The cheapest way to is to move the cables from the combox to the NBT. However it will make returning to original configuration a bit of a nightmare.

1. You can buy a BT antenna with FAKRA connector (this will plug straight into the NBT), since NBT has the combox built in.

2. I'm looking to buying the USB HSD cable replacement (I not 100% if this the correct part), and run this from the armrest to the NBT, thus leaving the original cables in place.

However there is some uncertainty where the wiring for the mic/aux goes. I am watching this thread for some answers.

If your car has no combox then it means everything is routing back to HU_ENTRY, which means it'll be a straight out swap.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 08:37 AM   #423
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks mate.
I have the BT GPS antenna.
I have combox and this would be difficult for me to reroute the USB to the new head unit.
Still uncertain about the 16 pin connector on the combox. Need to remove it or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Whilst I have not yet done the retrofit, I have been into what needs to be done.

The cheapest way to is to move the cables from the combox to the NBT. However it will make returning to original configuration a bit of a nightmare.

1. You can buy a BT antenna with FAKRA connector (this will plug straight into the NBT), since NBT has the combox built in.

2. I'm looking to buying the USB HSD cable replacement (I not 100% if this the correct part), and run this from the armrest to the NBT, thus leaving the original cables in place.

However there is some uncertainty where the wiring for the mic/aux goes. I am watching this thread for some answers.

If your car has no combox then it means everything is routing back to HU_ENTRY, which means it'll be a straight out swap.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #424
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks mate.
I have combox and this would be difficult for me to reroute the USB to the new head unit.
Still uncertain about the 16 pin connector on the combox. Need to remove it or not?
Do you have a USB port in the glovebox? If you do, you can just plug that cable directly into the beige port of the NBT and it will work without having to modify anything.

As for the 16 Pin connector on the combox, only 7 of them are used and that's for AUX and the mic. We're still trying to figure out how to run those and I have Vithy's help as he's helping me build a harness to transfer those wires to the head unit.

I'm still waiting to get my car updated for a recall from the dealer so it will be another few weeks until I can reinstall NBT to my car but we'll keep you all posted.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #425
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by delecz View Post
I know the snap in adapter should also expand your iPhones antenna (cellular) connectivity using the cars antena or something. So might not be only an hsd connection. Maybe you are able to forget that and only connect the hsd.
I had a look and I need the following parts to make this happen. I'll need a base plate and a snap in adapter.

The baseplate seems to have a female HSD connection so if I just connect a male HSD to it and the other end to the curry connector on the NBT, it should work.

I guess I'll try to connect my HSD cable to the curry again and see if it plays video. If it does, we can just ignore the antenna portion and just use this for media sync.

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/parts/info/...e/84109220652/
http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/parts/info/...a/84212287607/
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #426
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Thanks mate.
Can you let me know which BT Antenna you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #427
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

The vendor suggests to use an OEM Mic, that will be easier.
I have no USB in the glovebox. The vendor suggests to use additional USB wire from the head unit to the USB port in armrest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Do you have a USB port in the glovebox? If you do, you can just plug that cable directly into the beige port of the NBT and it will work without having to modify anything.

As for the 16 Pin connector on the combox, only 7 of them are used and that's for AUX and the mic. We're still trying to figure out how to run those and I have Vithy's help as he's helping me build a harness to transfer those wires to the head unit.

I'm still waiting to get my car updated for a recall from the dealer so it will be another few weeks until I can reinstall NBT to my car but we'll keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2014, 10:22 PM   #428
VitaminXX
Enlisted Member
Rep

GPS antenna is supplied by the same vendor I bought the head unit. It only shows GPS ANTENNA frequency:1575.42MHZ Voltage:3.0-5.0V
That's the only information on the antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Can you let me know which BT Antenna you have?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #429
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Hey steddyman,

When you installed the non-touch iDrive controller, did the back light turn on? I just received my touch controller today and I know it's not going to work but I connected it to the 4 pin connector to see if it at least powers on and it doesn't.

Was it the same for you? I think the pinouts for the power might be different or it needs a connection to KCAN2 to trigger the back light. I just hope I didn't receive a dud.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #430
white_shark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 316d

Hello guys,
I have 6,5 screen without navi (only radio), yesterday I install an NBT inside my F30 316d.
But I have a problem: the NBT isn't connect with the speedodometer. Istallator says I need extended function panel (now I have the simple one).
Someone can help me?
Can I install a camera?

Thank you so much
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #431
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_shark View Post
Hello guys,
I have 6,5 screen without navi (only radio), yesterday I install an NBT inside my F30 316d.
But I have a problem: the NBT isn't connect with the speedodometer. Istallator says I need extended function panel (now I have the simple one).
Someone can help me?
Can I install a camera?

Thank you so much
You need to FDL code KOMBI_HIGH to KOMBI_LOW. It's somewhere in HU_NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #432
white_shark
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can you explane me all?
I don't understand nothing and I must give information to my installator.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #433
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Can you explane me all?
I don't understand nothing and I must give information to my installator.
You said he coded the car, so he will know exactly what that means.

He needs to FDL Code the following:

HU_NBT => KOMBI_CIC = kombi_low

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #434
white_shark
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok.
So I only say to him "You need to FDL code KOMBI_HIGH to KOMBI_LOW. It's somewhere in HU_NBT".
Ho should understand me...

Your information is good for NBT?

Why when I use reverse I see 3 series GT and no sedan car?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #435
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok.
So I only say to him "You need to FDL code KOMBI_HIGH to KOMBI_LOW. It's somewhere in HU_NBT".
Ho should understand me...
Tell him that in ECU HU_NBT, he needs to use E-Sys and change FDL KOMBI_CIC to kombi_low.

He should know what this means so long as he uses E-Sys. If he uses ISTA/P only, then he both won't know what it means, nor will he be able to fix it.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #436
white_shark
Enlisted Member
Rep

I contact my installator and he says that he know your process but in my case in isn't workable because my browser has been updated with the latest updates and then the normal bmw esys is not able to encode.
I must wait new Esys.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:06 PM   #437
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I seriously doubt this. Ask him what version of ISTA/P was used to program NBT.

In any event, you don't need a new Kombi as originally claimed. You only need the correct E-Sys and PSdZData versions to FDL Code NBT correctly.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #438
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I have a feeling the guy just wants him to retrofit a 6WA so he can rack in the big bucks.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #439
steddyman
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
Hey steddyman,

When you installed the non-touch iDrive controller, did the back light turn on? I just received my touch controller today and I know it's not going to work but I connected it to the 4 pin connector to see if it at least powers on and it doesn't.

Was it the same for you? I think the pinouts for the power might be different or it needs a connection to KCAN2 to trigger the back light. I just hope I didn't receive a dud.
I can't be 100% sure but I don't think it did. I had a few night time coding sessions trying to get it working and I don't remember the backlight coming on. I doubt it is on all the time, so it is probably told when to come on like the instrument clusters. In that case it won't work unless the bus is connected.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #440
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steddyman View Post
I can't be 100% sure but I don't think it did. I had a few night time coding sessions trying to get it working and I don't remember the backlight coming on. I doubt it is on all the time, so it is probably told when to come on like the instrument clusters. In that case it won't work unless the bus is connected.
Thanks. I'll try to plug it into my service loaner when I get on Monday, even if it's on HU_ENTRY, it should still work.
Appreciate 0