F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Usb Map Update 2021-2
proTUNING Freaks

08-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #23
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Well i finally managed to do it, why and how i don't really know. We had been talking about hidden files, which made me think why when i click on the usb did it only show one folder, if i double clicked on this then it showed the one folder and four other files, isn't that how i want it on the usb itself. I didn't think this would work, but copied and pasted the one folder and four files to the same usb and then after an hour or so when completed deleted the single folder showing Road Map 2021-2, took this to my car and it worked and is updating as we speak.

I have not had to this in the past, so can't understand why i have had to do this now or why it happened.

Thank you very much for all those who tried to help, cheers
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
MY340i721.00
      08-15-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Did the download manager download directly to the usb, I wonder…?

… instead of downloading to a temp folder on you computer then unzipping and copying the folders to the USB..?

You might check the settings in the DL manager to see where the temp files are being stored…

Anyway, great you got it sorted…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      08-16-2021, 04:58 AM   #25
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Did the download manager download directly to the usb, I wonder…?

… instead of downloading to a temp folder on you computer then unzipping and copying the folders to the USB..?

You might check the settings in the DL manager to see where the temp files are being stored…

Anyway, great you got it sorted…
You are quite right, and i know my mistake. As i hadn't plugged in the usb stick at the time, it downloaded to my hard drive and i then transferred it to my usb. I will have to hope when i come round to doing this again that i remember this simple process. Though in my defence i have used that procedure in the past and it worked perfectly.
Appreciate 1
MY340i721.00
      08-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #26
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
You are quite right, and i know my mistake. As i hadn't plugged in the usb stick at the time, it downloaded to my hard drive and i then transferred it to my usb. I will have to hope when i come round to doing this again that i remember this simple process. Though in my defence i have used that procedure in the past and it worked perfectly.
Actually, that is how I always do it so that I can retain the files on my HDD for later use if something goes wrong rather than having to download them again.
Download manager puts them on the hard drive then asks for a USB stick to extract to, then asks if I want to keep the original files or delete.

If I remember right, and I may well be wrong, the files for the update have to be on the root of the drive, not in a subfolder
      08-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #27
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredGeek View Post
If I remember right, and I may well be wrong, the files for the update have to be on the root of the drive, not in a subfolder
Again that is where i went wrong as i created a folder for BMW Updates in Documents, so that i could easily find it amongst all the sh4te, we live and learn and hopefully next time i will remember all this
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:22 AM   #28
rukp
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series GT 320- M sport

Hi all,

If it helps I carried out an update and some general advice.

Use an empty USB stick ideally 32gb but 16gb works for the MOVE maps that i needed. I read a 2.0 usb stick would be best not a higher spec. 3.0. Ensure its formatted to FAT32 nothing else.

Ensure no other files are on the drive, don't copy the folder, copy all files onto the drive. The MOVE maps had 41 files.

ISSUE - my maps didn't update from the arm rest usb port but only from the glove box one. Wasted some time learning this.

Also once the update starts it takes an hour or so, mine stopped part way and when I went into the nav system an error popped up, dont panic like I did. Just remove the USB and plug it back in it will pick up from the last % updating.

Maybe everyone knows this but it may help...

Rgds
Rukp
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:41 AM   #29
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukp View Post
Hi all,

If it helps I carried out an update and some general advice.

Use an empty USB stick ideally 32gb but 16gb works for the MOVE maps that i needed. I read a 2.0 usb stick would be best not a higher spec. 3.0. Ensure its formatted to FAT32 nothing else.

Rukp
Hi, i'm amazed you got a 16gb usb stick to do the job, especially when the file size is 34.7gb. Mine is 128gb though a 64 will also do the job nicely. I also formatted mine to NTFS as my pc does have Fat32, i think they say anything above 32gb and Fat32 isn't suitable, though im sure many of the clever techno's on here will still be able to do it and explain which is best.

Also my F36 doesn't have a usb in the glovebox so i can only use the one under the armrest, again the clever ones can tell you what generations have them in the glovebox, under armrest or even just on the dash.

Last edited by APJ; 08-22-2021 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 06:38 AM   #30
rukp
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series GT 320- M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Hi, i'm amazed you got a 16gb usb stick to do the job, especially when the file size is 34.7gb. Mine is 128gb though a 64 will also do the job nicely. I also formatted mine to NTFS as my pc does have Fat32, i think they say anything above 32gb and Fat32 isn't suitable, though im sure many of the clever techno's on here will still be able to do it and explain which is best.

Also my F36 doesn't have a usb in the glovebox so i can only use the one under the armrest, again the clever ones can tell you what generations have them in the glovebox, under armrest or even just on the dash.

Sounds like differences in size due to maps, I have the MOVE maps and all files about 14gb on the update. I have a 2014 GT so maybe spec changes with new models.. maybe bean counters removed the glove box USB
Appreciate 0