F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d: What are the current options for engine tuning?
proTUNING Freaks

01-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #23
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictus View Post
don't trust the dyno results. There a lot of ways to cheat them. The real effect is on the wheels. Comparing to the stock or PPK. Believe me, no box is not going to declared result. If PPK gives 200 horsepower, the box is clearly not give more.

Relax dude! Stay tune!) I'm going to combine PPK with expensive box (99% it would be Steinbauer). I can not say when because I spent all the money available to this fckin' wheels.

Hope my friend will combine PPK with Hartge box earlier. He already finished making m-pack for his 320dx havana:

I'll try to shot video of 335i M-performance exhaust sound on his car if you're interested.
Combining the PPK with one of those high end boxes would be one heck of an experiment. Can't wait to see the result
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #24
OnlyMe1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 M Sport

hi all, new here, but just reading the posts, I was under the impression the 325D (218BHP) uses a redesigned variant of the old 123D engine and has twin turbos whereas the 320D (184BHP) uses a Twin Scroll variable vane turbo. In the UK I've been looking at a company called DTUK which do a box for the F30, it connects to the Turbo management and injectors but I worry that the dealers could tell this had been connected due to increased Turbo and Injector pressure being recorded by the main ECU?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #25
pedroF31
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 325d Luxury

Yes, 325d is an N47 engine with '2 stage turbocharging'. One of these 2 turbos is variable vane.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #26
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe1 View Post
hi all, new here, but just reading the posts, I was under the impression the 325D (218BHP) uses a redesigned variant of the old 123D engine and has twin turbos whereas the 320D (184BHP) uses a Twin Scroll variable vane turbo. In the UK I've been looking at a company called DTUK which do a box for the F30, it connects to the Turbo management and injectors but I worry that the dealers could tell this had been connected due to increased Turbo and Injector pressure being recorded by the main ECU?
You are correct about the turbo variations in the two cars (AFAIK). My understanding of BMW techs detecting the function of piggybacks is this: The only way they will find those indications of increased turbo/injector pressure is if they really spend a lot of time looking for it in the ECU data base. Under normal circumstances, or for a typical service ECU update, that wouldn't happen. Probably the only circumstance where they would devote that much time to looking through the ECU data base if there was a serious engine problem to begin with. I will write to my contact at Kelleners Sport to verify this.

Edit: One more thought: AFAIK, if the TB does not push the boost pressure or injector pressure beyond normal parameters it won't register anything in the ECU data base. I know the Kelleners Sport people claim that their piggyback never causes these pressures to go beyond these norms, so there would be no reason for it to show up in the data base.

Last edited by stevehecht; 01-09-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
f30D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30D, M-line, sunroof & shades

Garage List
2014 328d  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
+

You are correct about the turbo variations in the two cars (AFAIK). My understanding of BMW techs detecting the function of piggybacks is this: The only way they will find those indications of increased turbo/injector pressure is if they really spend a lot of time looking for it in the ECU data base. Under normal circumstances, or for a typical service ECU update, that wouldn't happen. Probably the only circumstance where they would devote that much time to looking through the ECU data base if there was a serious engine problem to begin with. I will write to my contact at Kelleners Sport to verify this.

Edit: One more thought: AFAIK, if the TB does not push the boost pressure or injector pressure beyond normal parameters it won't register anything in the ECU data base. I know the Kelleners Sport people claim that their piggyback never causes these pressures to go beyond these norms, so there would be no reason for it to show up in the data base.
my service tech @ bmw told me that exact same thing. it will record those high numbers and they wont cover it.

Why would they pay for work if they can get out of it?

Last edited by f30D; 06-18-2014 at 07:36 AM..
Appreciate 0